Keep Shimano 6120 or upgrade to XT 4 piston brakes? What’s the real world diff?

glmoto

Jan 18, 2021
California
I just purchased my first EMTB. A Trek Rail 9.7 that came with Shimano 6120 4 piston brakes. Before I rode it I thought for sure that I would need to replace the brakes right away and can purchase XT 4 piston from my LBS, however now that I’ve ridden it 50 miles or so, I think the 6120’s are working pretty nice. So looking for some help from those who have experience with the 6120’s and XT 4 piston. My weight is 200lbs, bike is XL, and a typical ride on my local trails will have an elevation gain of between 2-4K , so pretty hilly terrain.
Thx!
Greg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The main differences you'd actually notice are all in the levers
XT will gain you:
Servo wave explained here

Free stroke adjustment
Which really does nothing a well set up lever without freestroke does.
and
On the fly reach adjust
Just the same as the allen key adjustment your current levers have but tool free.

Materials and finish are slightly different and XT calipers come fitted with Icetech pads
You can buy these for your Deore calipers.
They're expensive and not really worth having unless you do extended descents and heat build up is an issue for you,
and they tend to rattle in the calipers.
and XT calipers can take standard non finned pads (half the price)

glmoto

Jan 18, 2021
California
The main differences you'd actually notice are all in the levers
XT will gain you:
Servo wave explained here

Free stroke adjustment
Which really does nothing a well set up lever without freestroke does.
and
On the fly reach adjust
Just the same as the allen key adjustment your current levers have but tool free.

Materials and finish are slightly different and XT calipers come fitted with Icetech pads
You can buy these for your Deore calipers.
They're expensive and not really worth having unless you do extended descents and heat build up is an issue for you,
and they tend to rattle in the calipers.
and XT calipers can take standard non finned pads (half the price)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Little real world difference in my experience between the 6120(4 piston) vs XT.

I have the 6120's on 2 bikes, they are very good, possibly the best bang for buck brake out there IMO.

I also have the XT's on 2 demo bikes. Again, great, but definitely not worth changing your 6120's out for them.

glmoto

Jan 18, 2021
California
Thanks Gary!
Very much appreciated
Little real world difference in my experience between the 6120(4 piston) vs XT.

I have the 6120's on 2 bikes, they are very good, possibly the best bang for buck brake out there IMO.

I also have the XT's on 2 demo bikes. Again, great, but definitely not worth changing your 6120's out for them.
Awesome Rob!! Thx ! Now I can put that $$ towards upgrading the clunky SRAM NX drivetrain with GX.
Cheers!
Greg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks Gary!
Very much appreciated

Awesome Rob!! Thx ! Now I can put that $$ towards upgrading the clunky SRAM NX drivetrain with GX.
Cheers!
Greg
I have the same bike. I wore out a few rear pads then eventually the rt76 rotor. Upgraded to the rt86 rotor. I use the Shimano resin pads. I wonder if cooling fins on the pads might help?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles