Just bought the Thule XT Easyfold for my Sportage and Ebike - Brilliant! [video]

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Yes it is expensive, with EMTBs and MTBs now costing 5k and upwards, you want to feel your bike is safe on the back of your car, I researched and scoured the forums for the best EMTB bike rack and that was the Thule easy fold XT.

Fully FOLDABLE for convenient mounting, handling, and storage, high load capacity enabling transport of E-bikes and heavy mountain bikes Easy mounting of bikes through detachable bike arms.

Thule AcuTight torque limiter knobs that "Click" when optimal torque is reached, Adjustable pump buckles with extra-long wheel straps for easy fastening of wheels (up to 4.7" wheels) enabling transport of fat bikes. Easy trunk access even with bikes mounted, easy mounting and adjustment of the carrier before closing the tightening handle thanks to the Towbar coupling’s initial stability. Ergonomic transport of the carrier thanks to the integrated carrying handles

Transporting your Ebike - Love the #thule Thule

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Not sure a bike and lose wheel inside the car is the safest option @The Hodge in the event of an accident. But would agree with the security side.

That said, I prefer the rack option as don't want the bike filthy in the car and don't leave the bike on the rack un attended. So less worried about security.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
That might just be the "how to pronounce Thule in America"? :) Not a Swedish speaker, so I'm not sure.

Like calling your tyres "shwalbee" just hurts my ears as a German speaker. It's more like a soft "uh" sound at the end with a v sound where the w is. Hear here. It means swallow in German (the bird, before the snarky comments come)

Of course, sometimes companies just give up. Even their adverts for cleaning equipment in the UK say "karcher", which brings me to tears. The ä in Kärcher is simply pronounced like an e and rhymes with "care", the ch at the end is a soft version of the ch you get in the Scottish word loch. Kirche, the German word for church sounds pretty similar

OK, language pedant signing out...

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not sure a bike and lose wheel inside the car is the safest option @The Hodge in the event of an accident. But would agree with the security side.

That said, I prefer the rack option as don't want the bike filthy in the car and don't leave the bike on the rack un attended. So less worried about security.
Take your point ..but I never put the bike into the car without wiping excess crud off with old towels ..and it can be secured with bungees on the anchor points ( although I rarely do tbf) in addition I have heavy duty plastic sheeting covering the whole of the rear and the interior is spotless....a further point with regard to safety is that both the bike and vehicle are going to suffer serious damage if you get a shunt from behind ..or even getting it wrong when reversing ..
It wouldn't be the first time either that a nice bike on the outside of a vehicle had been followed home and nicked shortly afterwards ..but each to their own ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
That might just be the "how to pronounce Thule in America"? :) Not a Swedish speaker, so I'm not sure.

Like calling your tyres "shwalbee" just hurts my ears as a German speaker. It's more like a soft "uh" sound at the end with a v sound where the w is. Hear here. It means swallow in German (the bird, before the snarky comments come)

Of course, sometimes companies just give up. Even their adverts for cleaning equipment in the UK say "karcher", which brings me to tears. The ä in Kärcher is simply pronounced like an e and rhymes with "care", the ch at the end is a soft version of the ch you get in the Scottish word loch. Kirche, the German word for church sounds pretty similar

OK, language pedant signing out...
I've always pronounced it that way since being corrected when buying a roof mounted rack for my mtb in Halfords..?
That by the way is only used in the rare event of transporting someone else's bike ( non emtb) ..

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
Nope...I'll never own another bike rack that uses arms that contact the frame. No matter how hard I tried using different kinds of padding they all damage the paint on the frame. I'll keep my Kuat 2.0 that only contacts the tires of my bike. We are full time RV'ers and travel thousands of miles around the country. No damage to my bikes from the Kuat. Tray style hitch racks like the 1UP and Kuat work great.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Nope...I'll never own another bike rack that uses arms that contact the frame. No matter how hard I tried using different kinds of padding they all damage the paint on the frame. I'll keep my Kuat 2.0 that only contacts the tires of my bike. We are full time RV'ers and travel thousands of miles around the country. No damage to my bikes from the Kuat. Tray style hitch racks like the 1UP and Kuat work great.
How. Does it damage the frame? I used a carbo protector. and putting in car ruins your interior.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Take your point ..but I never put the bike into the car without wiping excess crud off with old towels ..and it can be secured with bungees on the anchor points ( although I rarely do tbf) in addition I have heavy duty plastic sheeting covering the whole of the rear and the interior is spotless....a further point with regard to safety is that both the bike and vehicle are going to suffer serious damage if you get a shunt from behind ..or even getting it wrong when reversing ..
It wouldn't be the first time either that a nice bike on the outside of a vehicle had been followed home and nicked shortly afterwards ..but each to their own ?

Few bungies and sheet isn't really going to stop it flying at the back of your head if you have an accident though mate. Like if you've ever seen the inside of a van on impact with no bulkhead. Isn't great. But then it's all risk and reward isn't it... lets now go down that road! ha :rolleyes: i just prefer sticking it on the rack with the wheels on and sorting the bike out later.

Point accepted on the following, 100% an issue.

Luckily I can pull into my drive on a rural road with no one seeing me unload, I only have one neighbour who's pretty high up in the MET so i kinda trust her lol. I'm conscious of this though so if there is ever a car behind me i'll go into the village and turn round. I've also just dug out and put side access down my garage with a secluded patios area out the back for working on bikes.

Spent too many years paranoid with race bikes in the garage to let anyone see what's in there or on my drive!

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
How. Does it damage the frame? I used a carbo protector. and putting in car ruins your interior.
The vibration and movement from traveling (especially long trips) slowly wore through everything I tried to use for padding. Towels, rags, pieces of soft leather with plastic between the leather and rack arm, I couldn't find anything that was soft enough to protect the frame and not wear thru.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
the Wheel base wasnt big enough for some of my bikes and there is no way the 2 or 3 bike model can fit 2 bikes that have FSR suspension designs
Yup. The only model I could find that could cope with the wheelbase of my XL Levo was a Buzzrack. The mechanism for attaching to the tow ball is a bit of a pain, but otherwise, I'm happy with it.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Its pretty crap in many ways.

the clamp is utterly useless. ive nearly lost 2 bikes because of that clamp coming off. So i had to strap the bike to the clamp. the Wheel base wasnt big enough for some of my bikes and there is no way the 2 or 3 bike model can fit 2 bikes that have FSR suspension designs. The straps that come on my model were not long enough for fatter tyres. The bulbs were constantly going. The number plate holder sucked too.

Half that Thule junk is badly designed and doesnt fit anything other than a hard tail in a small wheel base.

phew... really rate my Buzzrack so far. :LOL: (y)

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo

the clamp is utterly useless. ive nearly lost 2 bikes because of that clamp coming off. So i had to strap the bike to the clamp. the Wheel base wasnt big enough for some of my bikes and there is no way the 2 or 3 bike model can fit 2 bikes that have FSR suspension designs. The straps that come on my model were not long enough for fatter tyres. The bulbs were constantly going. The number plate holder sucked too.

Half that Thule junk is badly designed and doesnt fit anything other than a hard tail in a small wheel base.
Sound like you bought a fake. It's guaranteed to hold 2 ebike and never come off. The clamp does not come off it locks under correct tension. Of course the straps don't fitter fat tires, they offer longer ones for those bikes. Iv already had 2 bikes on it so no idea what your complaint is.

Sound like you didn't read the manual before use. It's the most popular bike carrier in the scene.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

I have different opinion. I have Easyfold XT for 3 bikes. Travelling with it maybe 7000 km with bikes, no problem.
One trip to Lapland we have 3 ebikes attached, again no problems and no need to put extra protection between the bikes. Trip was about 2500 km.
Maybe i'm so satisfied, because all bike were size M or L. But my Kenovo S3 has quite long wheelbase.
And also to @blueglide no damage to bike frames.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
No mate, I owned this thing for years. I know exactly how it works and i dont need no youtube video to tell me how it works.

Fake? Jog on.

Those clamps SUCK. they are not designed to hold fat frames or frames which are not a simple alu tube. You cant put enough tension on the frame without risking damage to the cabon frame. THEY SUCK. I know because twice my Sworks Enduro nearly ended up bouncing down the M6. I looked in the mirror and the bike was gone. Thankfully it was laying down being held on by only the plastic straps - NOT GOOD.

Guaranteed to hold 2 bikes? Why dont you demonstrate how you plan on fixing two of those Haibikes on to that rack... I can tell you that its nearly impossible to get 2 full suspension bikes on that rack especially if they have FSR designed suspension. There is no way you can get the long arm to the second bike because the first bike is in the way.

Good luck getting 3 bikes on one that is hilarious.
3 bikes? its a 2 bike carrier.
I have already transported 2 ebikes on it.
The bike carrier has a special adapter for carbon frames which i show in the video
They suck? it the best selling bike carrier in the uk
The bike IS attached on the 2nd frame holder thats the one i use, and the closest one i clamp the pedals.
Why so hostile?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
The frame grips on my Buzzrack are at their limit, but OK for me.

There are, however, frame grips that seem to be designed for wider frames:
1613666683123.png

I've seen others with a nicer cushioning on the non-strap side, but can't find a pic at the moment.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
No mate, I owned this thing for years. I know exactly how it works and i dont need no youtube video to tell me how it works.

Fake? Jog on.

Those clamps SUCK. they are not designed to hold fat frames or frames which are not a simple alu tube. You cant put enough tension on the frame without risking damage to the cabon frame. THEY SUCK. I know because twice my Sworks Enduro nearly ended up bouncing down the M6. I looked in the mirror and the bike was gone. Thankfully it was laying down being held on by only the plastic straps - NOT GOOD.

Guaranteed to hold 2 bikes? Why dont you demonstrate how you plan on fixing two of those Haibikes on to that rack... I can tell you that its nearly impossible to get 2 full suspension bikes on that rack especially if they have FSR designed suspension. There is no way you can get the long arm to the second bike because the first bike is in the way.

Good luck getting 3 bikes on one that is hilarious.
Agree - tried one, those clamps just dont work well enough with more than one bike, the other bike gets in the way.

The 3 bike version is horrendous

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
How much is the Thule - I dont think the price was mentioned in the review?

If you dont have a van every option has its compromises though I still think putting the bike inside is better than any outside option, I am not a fan of hitch racks as I know a few people who have had clamps fail, and the fact the bike is in the line of fire for road salt/crap etc in bad conditions, though the covers are a good solution for this. How compact the Thule folds away is a nice feature.

Best hitch rack I have seen is the Saris MTR, but its bit of a monster, but it takes LWB bikes, and holds them super secure without clamps on the frame. Only seen it in the US so not sure if available in the UK/EU

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 18.09.54.png

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 18.11.57.png

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Yes it is expensive, with EMTBs and MTBs now costing 5k and upwards, you want to feel your bike is safe on the back of your car, I researched and scoured the forums for the best EMTB bike rack and that was the Thule easy fold XT.

Fully FOLDABLE for convenient mounting, handling, and storage, high load capacity enabling transport of E-bikes and heavy mountain bikes Easy mounting of bikes through detachable bike arms.

Thule AcuTight torque limiter knobs that "Click" when optimal torque is reached, Adjustable pump buckles with extra-long wheel straps for easy fastening of wheels (up to 4.7" wheels) enabling transport of fat bikes. Easy trunk access even with bikes mounted, easy mounting and adjustment of the carrier before closing the tightening handle thanks to the Towbar coupling’s initial stability. Ergonomic transport of the carrier thanks to the integrated carrying handles

Transporting your Ebike - Love the #thule Thule

i would be worried doing 70mph on a motorway with that bike parka on, got a link to where you got it from?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Why do you think. Firstly you say mine must be fake which is the stupidest thing ive ever heard. Then you say i didnt read the manual. Seriously.....

Those carbon frame things are new btw. guess why? because those clamps suck. Look at the shape of them they are the most idiotic design ever.

The way the 2 bike system works is dependant on the design of the bikes because FS ebikes have all sorts of random frame designs and that clamp is not big enough to fit around the downtube of an ebike which is what you have to do to fit the 2nd bike and there is a 3 bike version where the problem would be even worse
The new pressure plates are because people now have full carbon frames.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles