Just bought a SHimano XT 800 rotor with magnet on CL

railgods

May 19, 2024
Italy
Hello,
i have a problem: i have put a rotor XT MT800 203mm on front and here is no problem, but on the rear i have now a 180 rotor same XT 800 but with the magnet on center lock:
shimano_disco-xt-mt800-center-lock-ebike-ghiera-con-magnete_01.jpg
i think is not compatible with my Orbea Rise H30 2022, i have a error W101 because there's no speed signal.
I do not want to trash the 180 rotor, how can resolve this? where can buy a magnet center lock compatible with my ebike?
Thanks

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Not all bikes are compatibel with the center lock magnet from Shimano. Had the same on a Canyon Spectral ON. There a needed to replace it with a rotor with magnet build-in.

There is a spacing difference between them. The center lock off Shimano has short space for the magnet. There are center lock rings with the right spacing for the magneet. Just Google ;-)

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hello,
i have a problem: i have put a rotor XT MT800 203mm on front and here is no problem, but on the rear i have now a 180 rotor same XT 800 but with the magnet on center lock:
shimano_disco-xt-mt800-center-lock-ebike-ghiera-con-magnete_01.jpg
i think is not compatible with my Orbea Rise H30 2022, i have a error W101 because there's no speed signal.
I do not want to trash the 180 rotor, how can resolve this? where can buy a magnet center lock compatible with my ebike?
Thanks
Railgods,

The Shimano speed sensor pickup mounted on the Orbea Rise non-drive side chain stay is really sensitive correct magnet positioning on the brake rotor. The error code you are receiving, is a result of the Speed sensor pickup not reading the rotor magnet correctly.

When I first bought my Rise M20, I modified the brakes and experimented with several non Shimano brake rotors. None of these brake rotors had a built in magnet mounted on the brake rotor. I tried/bought multiple centerlock lock ring magnet adapters. None worked and I experienced the same error codes you are getting.

I also tried gluing a magnet directly to the steel rotor. This worked, however the high heat which a brake rotor generates during braking over heats the magnet and causes it to loose magnetism. When this occurred, my Rise would throw an error code and shut down. Once the magnet cooled down, my Rise would work again. If the magnet is exposed to enough high heat cycles, it will permanently damage the magnetism. You can glue a magnet to a brake rotor, however the magnet needs to be insulated or not have direct contact with the steel brake rotor itself. In other words you can glue the magnet to the alloy spokes on a Shimano XT brake rotor.

Eventually, I grew tired of experimenting with brake rotors and my Rise fault coding. I went back to using Shimano XT brake rotors. With my body weight and the terrain that I ride, I go through brake rotors fairly quickly. Shimano XT EM800 rotors with built in magnets are expensive. To save money, I would buy Shimano XT MT800 non magnet brake rotors and convert them to a XT EM800 magnet rotor. The conversion process is fairly easy to do, however you will need a Shimano magnet assembly removed from a worn out EM800 brake rotor.

Here is the link to a tech article I wrote on the procedure:

If your interested, I also did a three part tech series on maintenance and modify Rise Shimano brakes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles