Issue with 500w energypak, diagnostic says bad cell

ek69

Aug 29, 2022
Canada
Hello emtbf!

I recently purchased a 2022 Giant Talon E+ 2. Love the bike, however I went to charge it yesterday and the charger (4a version) started blinking red. The battery looked like it was starting to take a charge but it would reset the cycle once the 4th battery LED was lit up. Charger light would go green, then immediately start flashing red again.

I ran a diagnostic on the battery by holding the battery button 5 separate times. The first 4 tests passed, but the fifth failed. The 5th test illuminated the 4th and 5th LED. The error code showed up on the first led and it blinked 3 times indicating a faulty cell.

Has anyone experienced this before? It's strange because the battery has no issues discharging and still works on the bike. When I scan the bike using Ride Control is says there are no issues with the battery pak. There are only 350km total on this bike and only 4 charge cycles so it's basically brand new. It has not been out in the rain, or in any puddles, and has only been hand washed indoors. No crashes, nothing to lead me to believe the battery pak was compromised in any way.

Appreciate any and all help!

J

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
are you saying the battery will not take a full charge to 100% or that it is charging ok but shows a fault ?

ek69

Aug 29, 2022
Canada
Quick update for those who are curious. I took the bike in, and we were under the assumption the battery was bad. The shop warrantied the battery and I went and picked the bike up to go for a ride. When I got home, the same symptoms appeared, I was in disbelief. Plug the battery in, it started flashing right away. Ran the diagnostic on the battery, it showed the same patterns from the original post. After some more testing, it actually turned out to be a faulty charger. This was swapped out today and everything is working great.

The shop was friendly and eager to find a solution for me, I was very impressed with them. It turns out, the 5th cycle on the battery diagnostic is actually a battery life indicator. The 1st led flashing indicated that the battery had less than 50 charges. Thanks for all the advice here, warranty is absolutely the way to go as none of these parts are user serviceable.

Cheers!

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
@ek69 "I ran a diagnostic on the battery by holding the battery button 5 separate times."

I don't get it 🙄 What did you do to get the diag mode starting?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles