Is this CaneCreek 40 headset wear normal?

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
I've been tracking done some creak that's coming from the cockpit. Stripped down the stem/spacers/headset for a clean and found the bearings needed replacing. Stuck in a pair of Hellbender 70 bearings in but found that the headset cups are showing some wear. There's some scoring most of the way around the cups (top and bottom), plus some pitting on the surface towards the rear of the bike. Pics below.

Could this wear be enough to cause some creaking? When I stick the bearings in, there's enough play side to side in the cup that makes a clicking noise. Sounds like the culprit, but I assume that when the headset is preloaded the angular bearings will force it to the center and prevent the movement?

lower.jpg upper.jpg

Hiltix

Mar 28, 2023
Bern, Switzerland
That literally doesn't sound good. I have similar behavior with the CaneCreek 40 in the Pole Voima. With strong impacts there are “cracking noises” which are quite loud. I've already replaced it and regreased everything, but it hasn't helped yet.

Actually, as you write, the play should be eliminated during tensioning. But, unfortunately, I haven't found a solution yet. Next, I should probably check again to see if the bearing shells have any signs of damage or wear.

How long have you been using your headset now? The wear and tear looks quite bad.

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
That literally doesn't sound good. I have similar behavior with the CaneCreek 40 in the Pole Voima. With strong impacts there are “cracking noises” which are quite loud. I've already replaced it and regreased everything, but it hasn't helped yet.

Actually, as you write, the play should be eliminated during tensioning. But, unfortunately, I haven't found a solution yet. Next, I should probably check again to see if the bearing shells have any signs of damage or wear.

How long have you been using your headset now? The wear and tear looks quite bad.

Interesting. The headset cups are 24months/3500km old. I replaced the original 40series bearings with a Hellbender set after 12months. Those bearings still look and feel fine.

As far as the cockpit noise goes, there are really two. The first I believe is the CSU on the zeb. This is a louder cracking type sound that occurs under a sudden heavy brake or impact. Sadly I don't think there's any getting away from this, just a trait of the long-travel forks. The other sound is much smaller, like a quiet click/creak that is fairly constant in time with vibration. Eg think riding along cobble stones, this will produce the little creaks constantly. Similar by shifting weight around the cockpit. It's this one that I think could be the headset.

I've discounted the bars/stem as I moved both to a different bike and the sound was gone. Also placed the bars and stem from that spare bike on the Voima and the sound remained.

I've opened a support ticket with CaneCreek to hear their thoughts. It could be that the cups need replacing. If that's the case, I'm really not looking forward to getting them out of the frame!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The headset cups are 24months/3500km old. I replaced the original 40series bearings with a Hellbender set after 12months. Those bearings still look and feel fine.

They didn't name the company Cane Creak by accident.
Do yourself a favor. Buy yourself a Chris King headset and be done with it.

Hiltix

Mar 28, 2023
Bern, Switzerland
At first I also thought it might be the fork, but it really seems to be the headset.
I also had the little “crackers” once, but I got rid of them with copper paste.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I had the same issue a while back and found that the top cap that puts the tension on everything was bottoming out on the top of the steering tube before the proper bearing preload could be achieved. It sounded exactly like you described. The solution was to put a spacer that is high enough over the steering tube that prevents the top cap from hitting the steering tube. Worked for me, good luck !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles