Levo SL Gen 1 Is the Spec Turbo Levo SL ridiculous for Clydes?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
It all depends what you want to achieve from an ebike.
If you want to be able to charge up the hills quickly, and get round the loop in half your usual time - then get a Levo, Decoy or even a Rail.

If you want something that feels like you’re still doing most of the work - but getting a gentle help, then get a Levo SL.

I went from clockwork to a Trek Rail, and was surprised how much power it offered, and how little I felt I was doing. Swapped it a couple of weeks later for an SL... and have never looked back. Personal opinion though!
Everyone will recommend what they have, as that’s just human nature trying to justify their expensive purchases!

As many have said, the best thing you can do is try before you buy... but often that’s not possible, and you have to take an educated gamble!
I was glad to find a dealer that let me hire / demo the SL for a day, as I was concerned that I’d miss the power of the Rail. I don’t think I’d been ‘used’ to it for long enough to not be able to give it up. I imagine if I’d been riding it for 6+ months there’s no way I’d have been able to swap it for a Levo SL!

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Hmm

Last week rode 100km and almost 1200m ascent with SL. After ride i had 60% battery left(no extender). Sl rides like normal bike without motor, where the ff feels like riding with brakes on.
I say that if dont need to get up fast, get th SL. It feels like analog bike, it is turns very well, it is very lively, it is very light... And last: it is the perfect compromise if you do not need to charge full speed to the top.

I had 3 ff levos and loving th sl now.. Perfect compromise.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I have the 2019 Expert with the Pike and the SL Comp I am riding right now has the 34 Performance. Don't get me wrong the 34 is a good fork, I like the damper better than the Pike but it's still no 36 which is my preferred fork.

@Murch - The SL Comp I tested had FOX RHYTHM 34, not Performance Elite. I wonder if they downgraded for 2020. As I understand it the Rhythm is similar chassis but different damper/adjustments. Maybe the differences are minimal on-trail.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
@TomH79 - how did you end up going through 3 FF Levos??

Early19 bought 19 comp, loving th ebike scene, changed it to expert model at summer 19.sold the expert after race season at october 19. Bought 2020 comp at january, sold it on april and now with SL cc.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
@Murch - The SL Comp I tested had FOX RHYTHM 34, not Performance Elite. I wonder if they downgraded for 2020. As I understand it the Rhythm is similar chassis but different damper/adjustments. Maybe the differences are minimal on-trail.
Sorry you are right it's the Rhythm 34, just went into the garage and checked.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
That way I look at it. Is you can turn down the power on a FF levo to get a work out but you can never turn up the power enough on an SL levo to make it easy going up hills like a FF levo.

And you never get ff as light, nible, good turning ect as SL.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I did a little experiment of the two on a climb

@Murch - I just got a chance to watch this in full. 2 observations:

1) Just how FAST you are going uphill - and how that speed opens up an entirely unique experience. I've heard of ebike folks talking about 'uphill flow' but I've never really noticed it on some vids. Here it's really obvious, and pretty amazing. This alone might sway me to buy FF bike. I can have my cake and eat it too - uphill? That must feel magical.

2) 47 second delta between the 2 bikes in a 4:20 climb is very respectable of both your effort and the SL bike! How much more effort did it actually feel like? Was it the 2x-3x that the Wh/Torque specs would imply?

I just noticed even on my street ride yesterday (moderate/occasional hills) that it was my knees that limited my power, not my lungs. I'm hoping that the torque of these motors will take the strain off my knees and still allow me to have an elevated HR simply due to riding faster, farther, longer and re-distributing some of the resistance workout to my core/shoulders/arms. More terrain covered in a finite amount of time is a good thing.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
@Murch - I just got a chance to watch this in full. 2 observations:

1) Just how FAST you are going uphill - and how that speed opens up an entirely unique experience. I've heard of ebike folks talking about 'uphill flow' but I've never really noticed it on some vids. Here it's really obvious, and pretty amazing. This alone might sway me to buy FF bike. I can have my cake and eat it too - uphill? That must feel magical.

2) 47 second delta between the 2 bikes in a 4:20 climb is very respectable of both your effort and the SL bike! How much more effort did it actually feel like? Was it the 2x-3x that the Wh/Torque specs would imply?

I just noticed even on my street ride yesterday (moderate/occasional hills) that it was my knees that limited my power, not my lungs. I'm hoping that the torque of these motors will take the strain off my knees and still allow me to have an elevated HR simply due to riding faster, farther, longer and re-distributing some of the resistance workout to my core/shoulders/arms. More terrain covered in a finite amount of time is a good thing.

Bingo, I am actually enjoying the technical uphill climbs and even seek them out now instead of just trying to survive them with enough energy left to enjoy the downhill. Instead of 4 minutes of downhill for a trail and 15 minutes of flat or climbing I now have fun the whole time. Uphill flow is a real thing on an e-bike that is magical.

As for effort it is about double if not a little more when both are on turbo. I have been on that same SL for a week now and I have had to adjust my riding style. On my local trails we have three trails all about 4 miles or so in length with a few miles between each trail start and finish. On the FF I run them all with no breaks or stops for the 16 miles or so. On the SL I take a break after each trail to rest. I still hit the technical climbs but it is at a much slower pace and more like my analog bike where I pick and choose my line so I don't get stuck or have to hammer away to clear it. Prime example last night's ride I peaked at 1119 Watts of my peak power to clear a climb. On my FF the highest peak I have seen is 921 Watts of peak power.

Before getting my Levo I had major knee pain during the first two miles of riding until I was warmed up which meant I was always way behind on group rides as I just could not go fast right out of the car. I would then blow myself up catching up to the group only to be dropped on the next climb as I was out of gas. A couple of hours after the ride I could barely walk upstairs or even lift my leg up to get in the car without major pain. Went to many doctors and PT to try and solve it, in the end they told me I would have to stop riding if I wanted it to go away. The Army and playing hockey really wore them out.

Since I have switched to my Levo I no longer have any knee pain and I did more miles last month 250 then I have ever done in one month over the past 10+ years. I can walk up and down stairs with no issues and I no longer must ice my knees and take Motrin after every ride.

I enjoy the SL don't get me wrong, but it doesn't put the smile on my face like my Levo does. I can always make the Levo harder to ride but I can never make the SL easier to ride.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
A couple of hours after the ride I could barely walk upstairs or even lift my leg up to get in the car without major pain. Went to many doctors and PT to try and solve it, in the end they told me I would have to stop riding if I wanted it to go away.

This is me right here. Stairs are awful the day of and after any 5+ mile trail riding for me. Usually Advil + light yoga, walking or light street ride are the only thing that will loosen/lube things back up again. Losing weight is the key I'm sure to limit accelerated knee degradation - but with 35+ years at 200+lbs I can't expect miracles. I've not visited a PT about it since I already know & practice just about all the strengthening /stretching exercises I can do to improve....but I just want to go out and have fun and I don't want to give up MTB!

So, you're putting in some serious seat-time on the SL. Do you have *any* feelings of "hmmmm.....maybe I should get me one of these...."?

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
This is me right here. Stairs are awful the day of and after any 5+ mile trail riding for me. Usually Advil + light yoga, walking or light street ride are the only thing that will loosen/lube things back up again. Losing weight is the key I'm sure to limit accelerated knee degradation - but with 35+ years at 200+lbs I can't expect miracles. I've not visited a PT about it since I already know & practice just about all the strengthening /stretching exercises I can do to improve....but I just want to go out and have fun and I don't want to give up MTB!

So, you're putting in some serious seat-time on the SL. Do you have *any* feelings of "hmmmm.....maybe I should get me one of these...."?

Well here is the funny thing, my son and I both ride XL bikes, he is 6'5 and I'm 6'2. He prefers the SL as he is fast already without a motor but loves having just a little of the edge taken off. He graduates from high school this month, so we are going to get him the bike of his choice which is the SL.

I will end up having both bikes to ride but to be honest this past week has made me miss the power and torque of the Levo. The Levo has made me a better ride for sure as I am riding at a faster speed for much longer than I do on any other bike. I have learned new skills that you just can't lean until you are riding at the speeds it allows me to maintain. My son was even amazed at just how much better and faster I can now ride downhill and that all comes from learning to control the bike both uphill and downhill at faster speeds than I can sustain on my own.

If I want a more playful ride, I just pull out my Stumpjumper and get the same type of ride I do on the SL, just a little more effort on the climbs.

Hope the makes sense?

It's all about preference really but I have never said on a ride of my Levo "damn I wish I had more power" can't say the same of the SL.

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
The SL will work well for you. The LEVO's power is needed for big climbs then bombing downhill. SL feels more like a non-e mountain bike. If there was less climbing around here, I would have went with the SL. My ride today was 30 miles with 4,455ft of climbing, 2 hours and 21 minutes. I did it all on Level one, I was trying to see how much climbing on level one.

Almost 13mph for 141 minutes and climbing 4455....WOWSA! That is one hell of a ride...

Ace

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Almost 13mph for 141 minutes and climbing 4455....WOWSA! That is one hell of a ride...

Ace
Thanks, I raced a lot of XC last year, just got the ebike two weeks ago. My third ride I has a stick go through the spokes and break the derailleur. The shop fixed it for free! So far this week, 124.6 miles, 17,428ft of climbing, 9 hours, 14 mins. E is a lot more fun than my XC bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles