• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Is it true that new CUBE Reaction cannot be speed limit hacked?

Eloclegin

Aug 26, 2024
UK
Newbie here

looking forward to enjoying this forum

I want to do the hack on my new-ish (2023/24) Cube Reaction PF 625 where one moves the magnet off the rear wheel spoke and onto the pedal crank and then move the sensor from the inside face of the chain stay to face outwards so that it senses pedal crank rotations instead of wheel rotations (thereby fooling the bike to think it is going slower, so it keeps assisting)…BUT I discover that unlike my 2022 Reaction my latest Reaction does not have the same speed sensing system. See photo

Unlike my older Reaction there no sensor on the inside of the chain stay nor any magnet on the wheel or spokes! However I do see that there is an usual rectangular thing around the valve at the rear wheel (marked red in my photo) and I am wondering if this is a large concealed magnet?.. and maybe the sensor is now hidden at/in the frame close to the motor.

Can anyone shed any light on how the latest version of the Reaction senses speed and also what if any hacks will still work. I prefer magnetic type hacks such as the DIY magnet onto pedal crank or even the BadAss solution rather than going the VolSpeed dongle route. This bike has the black Bosch controller (without the optional numeric display) instead of the Purion controller.

Thanks in advance for any replies

IMG_7407.jpeg

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
It's a rim magnet. There is no reliable way of derestricting. There have been attempts to simulate the magnet with an electromagnetic coil (megabobra on this site) but it doesn't work at the moment. The hall sensors inside are doing more than a simple reed switch and they are measuring the shape of the magnetic field as the magnet passes.

Eloclegin

Aug 26, 2024
UK
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There has obviously been a lot of past discussion and experimentation there. All best.

Eloclegin

Aug 26, 2024
UK
By the way, apologies for landing my very basic question here. I never noticed there was this forum dedicated to “Derestricting”. So I asked my question on General Discussion and it got reposted by moderator to here.

Eloclegin

Aug 26, 2024
UK
Thanks for that. A bit expensive but good to know. But it says compatible only with CX version. Mine doesnt have the CX label on the motor casing, although the torque on mine seems huge, so i had assumed it was 85 NM. Certainly noticeably more than my older 2022 Reaction which was 75 NM

What is the critical difference between the CX and non-CX versions that makes the non-CX more difficult to overcome?

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Thanks for that. A bit expensive but good to know. But it says compatible only with CX version. Mine doesnt have the CX label on the motor casing, although the torque on mine seems huge, so i had assumed it was 85 NM. Certainly noticeably more than my older 2022 Reaction which was 75 NM

What is the critical difference between the CX and non-CX versions that makes the non-CX more difficult to overcome?
I’m not sure, you’d probably have to email the company and ask them.

ValActionT 750

Jul 31, 2024
Escondido
It's a rim magnet. There is no reliable way of derestricting. There have been attempts to simulate the magnet with an electromagnetic coil (megabobra on this site) but it doesn't work at the moment. The hall sensors inside are doing more than a simple reed switch and they are measuring the shape of the magnetic field as the magnet passes.
Good reply!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles