Introduction and Question feedback please..

MajorScam

Aug 13, 2024
UK England
Hey, 49 year-old MTB recreational rider from Northamptonshire. My current ride is a Trek Remedy however, EMTB time is approaching - which leads me onto my question...

With it currently being a buyers market, there are what seems like some 'nice' discounts floating about. So with a budget of £4000 - £4500 what EMTB bike would you buy?

Qualifiers; I ride upwards of 60-100 miles a week, light XC, gravel and urban, am probably more interested in the components attached rather than the brand on the frame, saying that am not going to get bogged down with things like Grip 2 or Fit 4 (for example), like I said am a recreational rider not a pro.
Carbon or aluminium, preference would probably be aluminium or aluminium rear at least, but whatever.
750kw battery or as close to that as possible, plus a Bosch motor seems to be a rider favourite, what's people's thoughts on the others?

Examples; Cube Stereo 160 Action Team, Trek Rail 9 GX AXS, Merida eOne Sixty 8000, Cannondale Moterra Neo 2 all of which currently fall within that stated budget range.

All feedback, info, recommendations and or alternative suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for your time and happy riding!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Any of those brands are good, especially with a Bosch motor. But based on your use, style and distance needed, a light weight full suspension might suit your needs and budget.

A TQ motor and lighter battery will easily get you 100+ miles per week. I’m not familiar with the other light eMTB’s but I’m very happy with the Trek Fuel 8. The tires I use for different terrain is important.

But if you feel you want a full power, full fat eMTB …there’s some good options out there.

Welcome to the forums.
Cheers

PierreZA

Nov 6, 2023
South Africa
This question comes up often. With ebikes it's best to buy from your LBS or a bike shop close by that will offer service and warranty claims etc.

MajorScam

Aug 13, 2024
UK England
Any of those brands are good, especially with a Bosch motor. But based on your use, style and distance needed, a light weight full suspension might suit your needs and budget.

A TQ motor and lighter battery will easily get you 100+ miles per week. I’m not familiar with the other light eMTB’s but I’m very happy with the Trek Fuel 8. The tires I use for different terrain is important.

But if you feel you want a full power, full fat eMTB …there’s some good options out there.

Welcome to the forums.
Cheers
Cheers for the reply, although my preference would be towards a 'full-fat', I have looked at the likes of exe's. My logic is with a emtb I'd ride x1.5 or X2 more/further. Perhaps even some multi day rides down to and along the south coast for example. So Semi skimmed bikes I believe (feel free to correct me if a wrong) are going to limit daily mileage and perhaps are not suitable for those types of tasks, even though full-fat full sus probably aren't either - that extra range is attractive.

MajorScam

Aug 13, 2024
UK England
This question comes up often. With ebikes it's best to buy from your LBS or a bike shop close by that will offer service and warranty claims etc.
Thanks for the reply.

I hear that. Am I right in thinking or do you know for example; if was to buy a Trek online from a retailer say 200 miles away solely because it was a more attractive price than a more local dealer, any issues that arise under warranty would be able to be resolved through/at that more local dealer?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Cheers for the reply, although my preference would be towards a 'full-fat', I have looked at the likes of exe's. My logic is with a emtb I'd ride x1.5 or X2 more/further. Perhaps even some multi day rides down to and along the south coast for example. So Semi skimmed bikes I believe (feel free to correct me if a wrong) are going to limit daily mileage and perhaps are not suitable for those types of tasks, even though full-fat full sus probably aren't either - that extra range is attractive.
I agree. Having a 750wh battery is nice when longer ranges are necessary.

On a personal note; I rode the Fuel EXE 8, while on vacation, for 45+kms round trip. Fairly flat trails. I returned with 60% battery. My wife had the Bosch gen4 motor but I could easily keep up with her. We both had about the same amount of battery % remaining. Her bike has the 500wh battery and mine has the 360wh battery. So range anxiety doesn’t seem to be an issue for us.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

On a personal note; I rode the Fuel EXE 8, while on vacation, for 45+kms round trip. Fairly flat trails. I returned with 60% battery. My wife had the Bosch gen4 motor but I could easily keep up with her. We both had about the same amount of battery % remaining. Her bike has the 500wh battery and mine has the 360wh battery. So range anxiety doesn’t seem to be an issue for us.
But that's on "Fairly flat trails". I frequently ride with a buddy who has a Fuel EXe and on the steep uphill stuff I always slow down for him otherwise I'd be gone. Today we did about 22 miles and he used about 45% of his 360Wh battery and I used about 45% of my Rail 500Wh battery. I slowed down for most of the uphills but did blast up some and had a rest at the top while he was grinding his way up.

Last edited:

MajorScam

Aug 13, 2024
UK England

Hummm, interesting. This is why am here...all info is knowledge.

The uk restricts to 15.5mph as am sure you're aware, which doesn't seem great. Am guessing Semi skimmed could stretch range if 'x' percentage of your riding was above that speed, but I guess the opposite applies if 'x' was lower for full fat...

Then there's torque sensors (which again correct me if am wrong) applies power only when riders input is above a certain level. So if you can 'coast' along at the right cadence, motor assistance and therefore battery usage is lessened.

All food for thought.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hummm, interesting. This is why am here...all info is knowledge.

The uk restricts to 15.5mph as am sure you're aware, which doesn't seem great. Am guessing Semi skimmed could stretch range if 'x' percentage of your riding was above that speed, but I guess the opposite applies if 'x' was lower for full fat...

Then there's torque sensors (which again correct me if am wrong) applies power only when riders input is above a certain level. So if you can 'coast' along at the right cadence, motor assistance and therefore battery usage is lessened.

All food for thought.
Yes, I agree with you and @irie.

When I’m climbing our mountain trails, with the fuel, I can chew through more battery, but I don’t get range anxiety at higher altitudes because half my riding is down hill. Gravity then becomes my friend. 👍🏻. Usually the hunger in my belly tells me I need to go home. 🤷‍♂️

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.................. if was to buy a Trek online from a retailer say 200 miles away solely because it was a more attractive price than a more local dealer, any issues that arise under warranty would be able to be resolved through/at that more local dealer?
Yes,, you would be able to get your problems resolved under warranty, but it may not be free. Let me explain.

If you take your bike back to the selling dealer, he would have made a profit on your bike and would have no problem in processing any warranty claim free of charge. But the nearby dealer has had no such profit to help fund his admin costs and may choose to make a charge.

As an example: I bought an ebike from JEJames (good company), but it was a 3 hour round trip away from me. I took my bike to Rutland Cycles (another good company) only a 1hr 20min round trip away. They wanted to charge a flat fee of £35 to process any warranty claim. That would be irrespective of whether it was a loose wire or a broken frame. Pay £35 and the rest was free. But they gave you a choice. If you thought it was a cheap fix, don't claim warranty, don't pay £35 and gamble that the fix at their normal serving rates would cost you less money.

It makes sense to me: why would Rutland Cycling process a warranty claim for free when you didn't allow them to make the profit that would come from selling you a bike. Be fair! :) You can't eat your cake and have it too!

MajorScam

Aug 13, 2024
UK England
Yes,, you would be able to get your problems resolved under warranty, but it may not be free. Let me explain.

If you take your bike back to the selling dealer, he would have made a profit on your bike and would have no problem in processing any warranty claim free of charge. But the nearby dealer has had no such profit to help fund his admin costs and may choose to make a charge.

As an example: I bought an ebike from JEJames (good company), but it was a 3 hour round trip away from me. I took my bike to Rutland Cycles (another good company) only a 1hr 20min round trip away. They wanted to charge a flat fee of £35 to process any warranty claim. That would be irrespective of whether it was a loose wire or a broken frame. Pay £35 and the rest was free. But they gave you a choice. If you thought it was a cheap fix, don't claim warranty, don't pay £35 and gamble that the fix at their normal serving rates would cost you less money.

It makes sense to me: why would Rutland Cycling process a warranty claim for free when you didn't allow them to make the profit that would come from selling you a bike. Be fair! :) You can't eat your cake and have it too!
Nice one for the reply chap. All that makes sense and is food for thought. I guess I find out what a 'local' dealer to me charges for a warranty claim, see how many X's of that divide into the saving I made from buying cheaper further away and make a decision/gamble from there.

Cheers again.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Most of our LBS are independently owned and offer different levels of sales and services. Trek is probably the big-boy in our area and the other shops offer a very good variety. I try to spread the “love” between our three main LBS’s and regularly drag in a new potential customer. A quick introduction to the owner and they are on their own.

At one particular LBS I figured out who the “silent partner” was . An unassuming gentleman who sells helmets and gloves and wanders around. The temporary summer sale’s students may not even know who he is.

Years ago I brought in a broken component, out of warranty, and asked if he could help. Without hesitation he pulled a new one from the shelf and handed it to me. No paperwork, no questions, no worries at all. I was kinda stunned.

I always thought he was an older sales rep, so I started asking him questions. His experience was amazing and his knowledge was very interesting.

Paying frequent visits to these LBS’s has probably paid off for me. From types of gloves to lacing my own wheels, they’ve been helpful. I figured out that knowledge gathered in causal conversations is better than free stuff.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles