Intermittent power issue 2017 Specialized Levo

Eric33

Mar 7, 2020
Utah
Hello all, I’m trying to troubleshoot my used 2017 Specialized Levo. There is an intermittent power issue that is making this bike not as fun as it should be. This bike is not under warranty, so I would like to work on it myself. Can any of you help me with a few questions please?

Is there a schematic for this bike?

In the mission control app, under battery, I see Current: 0.00A, is this normal? Should it change when the electric motor draws?

If the app is populating data for motor and battery, could I consider the CAN and 12v are working properly?

During a ride without the bike working properly, in the Mission Control app under the stats, I can see the speed sensor working by accurately reporting speed, but randomly drops to zero while maintaining speed. I'm going to replace this cable but does anyone know if this is normal?

Where can I buy a replacement battery to motor wiring harness?

Some info about my bike:

Battery firmware = 2.17.1, motor firmware = 4.0.1, health = 90

1000 miles, 65 charge cycles

I’ve replaced both Rosenberger male and female plugs as I suspected that was the intermittent power issue I was having. Didn’t help.

Thank you!
Eric

Eric33

Mar 7, 2020
Utah
Hello all, I still have this issue and would love some help please.

A LBS sold me a new wiring harness. I took it home and installed it, but the issue was still there. I compared the old wiring harness with the new one and found they were not the same. There is a difference with the wire order and I verified this with a continuity test. The LBS confirmed I had the wrong harness and ordered it the correct one. When I picked up the new harness, I took my bike in so the tech could have a second set of eyes on the bike. When the tech installed the new harness, the problem was still there - no power to the motor. The tech suspected the motor was bad because the battery appeared to be working and communicating via the app, he even was able to upgrade the firmware. A few days later, I replaced the motor and still had no power to it. After this, I just left my bike at the shop who agreed to test the new motor and harness with a different battery when a battery was available. When a battery came in, the tech swapped it and IT WORKED!!! Now it seems like my battery is bad, but I'm not so sure and suspect I still have a wiring issue. When I measure voltages, everything seems fine, including battery cluster and total voltage. I think there is plenty of power in the battery, but the motor is not calling for that power via torque sensor through the CAN.

I'd really love if someone has knowledge or a schematic. Anyone know of a diagram or pinout on the CAN side? Are there ways I can further test or measure this? Also, when I measure standing voltage to the battery when the battery is on, I get roughly 1.8 volts and off I get .2 volts.

Another thought that I have is this battery is dated 2015 and my bike is a 2017. Anyone know if there was a wiring harness change during this time?

Please help me if you know this. I'd love to ride this bike again.

levo battery off.jpg

levo battery on.jpg

levo battery.jpg

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Why do you think your right to repair ends at the warranty period?

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
It doesn't, but silly to work on this type of item under warranty, right?
You should have asked for a new one. You have no chance now. You most likely would have got one without much of a fight.

Eric33

Mar 7, 2020
Utah
Ah, I see. Sounds nice to have something handed to me, but it was clearly out of warranty. Do you have a schematic, Zero?

Ropes

Mar 13, 2021
United Kingdom
Hello all, I still have this issue and would love some help please.

A LBS sold me a new wiring harness. I took it home and installed it, but the issue was still there. I compared the old wiring harness with the new one and found they were not the same. There is a difference with the wire order and I verified this with a continuity test. The LBS confirmed I had the wrong harness and ordered it the correct one. When I picked up the new harness, I took my bike in so the tech could have a second set of eyes on the bike. When the tech installed the new harness, the problem was still there - no power to the motor. The tech suspected the motor was bad because the battery appeared to be working and communicating via the app, he even was able to upgrade the firmware. A few days later, I replaced the motor and still had no power to it. After this, I just left my bike at the shop who agreed to test the new motor and harness with a different battery when a battery was available. When a battery came in, the tech swapped it and IT WORKED!!! Now it seems like my battery is bad, but I'm not so sure and suspect I still have a wiring issue. When I measure voltages, everything seems fine, including battery cluster and total voltage. I think there is plenty of power in the battery, but the motor is not calling for that power via torque sensor through the CAN.

I'd really love if someone has knowledge or a schematic. Anyone know of a diagram or pinout on the CAN side? Are there ways I can further test or measure this? Also, when I measure standing voltage to the battery when the battery is on, I get roughly 1.8 volts and off I get .2 volts.

Another thought that I have is this battery is dated 2015 and my bike is a 2017. Anyone know if there was a wiring harness change during this time?

Please help me if you know this. I'd love to ride this bike again.

View attachment 33927

View attachment 33928

View attachment 33929

Hello Eric.

I seem to be having the exact same issue with my 2017 Levo. I had a huge motor overhaul after 4 years and 7000 miles and then I started with problems. I’ve swapped out power cables, sensor cables, removed my extender battery, removed the 3rd party software but although the bike isn’t totally shutting down, it randomly seems to lose power, invariably uphill but not always. It’s very random. Sometimes I seem to be hurtling along and sometimes it’s a bit like riding through treacle.

I am going to try my friend‘s battery next in order to try to confirm that it really is a battery issue. These batteries are GBP 800 and so I don’t want to just buy one and hope for the best. It’s rideable but I’ve lost all confidence in it and am really scared that it’s just going to cut out totally when I’m in the middle of nowhere.

Please can you tell me if you ever got to the bottom of it? I work for an electronics company and potentially they could do minor repairs. I possess a multimeter but wouldn’t have a clue what to do with it!

Thank you.

Jane

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
I have what sounds like a similar problem on my 2020 Kenevo. When connected to my Garmin the speed randomly drops to zero about every minute or two. In addition while on the same map the power put out is highly variable. Sometimes it feels like it is in Turbo and sometimes like it is Eco whether it is in Eco/Trail/Turbo. The integrated power meter is also all over the place saying that I am putting out 300 watts when I am barely pedaling and then 120 watts when I am bleeding out my eyeballs. One other symptom is that the motor will run for 3 or 4 seconds sometimes after I stop pedaling.

One of the interesting things about this situation is that the power output variability is repeatable. If it is in the strong map and I stop pedaling for a few seconds after motor shuts off and then start pedaling again it switches to the weak map. I have gotten pretty good at "swapping" the maps on trails or continuing to pedal through sections I would normally coast on to be in the right map.

My best guess is that it is related to a TQ sensor issue as was mentioned to me in another thread. I currently have it in under warranty and am waiting for the official diagnosis. Will report back with what they say it is and what parts they replace.

Ropes

Mar 13, 2021
United Kingdom
I have what sounds like a similar problem on my 2020 Kenevo. When connected to my Garmin the speed randomly drops to zero about every minute or two. In addition while on the same map the power put out is highly variable. Sometimes it feels like it is in Turbo and sometimes like it is Eco whether it is in Eco/Trail/Turbo. The integrated power meter is also all over the place saying that I am putting out 300 watts when I am barely pedaling and then 120 watts when I am bleeding out my eyeballs. One other symptom is that the motor will run for 3 or 4 seconds sometimes after I stop pedaling.

One of the interesting things about this situation is that the power output variability is repeatable. If it is in the strong map and I stop pedaling for a few seconds after motor shuts off and then start pedaling again it switches to the weak map. I have gotten pretty good at "swapping" the maps on trails or continuing to pedal through sections I would normally coast on to be in the right map.

My best guess is that it is related to a TQ sensor issue as was mentioned to me in another thread. I currently have it in under warranty and am waiting for the official diagnosis. Will report back with what they say it is and what parts they replace.

Please can you explain what you mean by strong and weak maps? Is this is known term? I’m really interested as it sounds so similar to me. I hadn’t even thought about torque sensors. I think that I probably need a new motor but I will be upset as I’ve already spent hundreds of pounds on motor repairs. I wonder if the shop can run diagnostics to see if the issue lies here?

i would definitely like to know what they say please.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles