Insane rattle from motor. SLT w/ Gen 4

Johnevo

Dec 8, 2019
BT96UN
Picked up an SLT for the best part of 6 and a bit k.

Am devastated with how it’s turned out and I loved my old 2018 SL until I crashed it a few too many times!

Newmen Carbon rear rim cracked on first ride and I swear the motor mustn’t be mounted right...

It doesn’t just lightly rattle when downhill over rough stuff. It literally clatters around the frame as if the battery is loose or bolts are missing in the motor mounts, including when The motor is under load. Even over small stones or roots or even down a kerb the motor judders the cranks, frame, bars, everything - completely destroys the feel of any sort of proper riding.

Are all these Bosch bikes really meant to be like this?!

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Picked up an SLT for the best part of 6 and a bit k.

Am devastated with how it’s turned out and I loved my old 2018 SL until I crashed it a few too many times!

Newmen Carbon rear rim cracked on first ride and I swear the motor mustn’t be mounted right...

It doesn’t just lightly rattle when downhill over rough stuff. It literally clatters around the frame as if the battery is loose or bolts are missing in the motor mounts, including when The motor is under load. Even over small stones or roots or even down a kerb the motor judders the cranks, frame, bars, everything - completely destroys the feel of any sort of proper riding.

Are all these Bosch bikes really meant to be like this?!

If it's rattling under load then it's not the (in)famous Bosch motor rattle - which comes from the freewheel, which ain't free when it's under load...

There is a film on YouTube which shows how Cube have mounted the motor into the frame - and the bolts loosened badly. It's in German but you really only need to watch the movie to see what bits have come loose and how easy it is to fix.

As the chap says, though, make sure that you have good quality tools. The motor bolts are Torx Plus 40, not standard Torx.

Nejcos

Nov 1, 2019
Slovenia
If you remove battery, there is a bolt on the frame in the middle where the batery was. Mine got loosened and i couldnt fit the battery in. Check that is not tightened so becomes a gap between the batery and bolt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles