Indulge me, please.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Been riding 29er's for years purely for beneficial rolling resistance but when looking to get an emtb I want one with a slacker head for when coming off of steep mountains etc (I don't do trail centres) but it seems 27.5's have slacker heads than 29ers which I understand to a point due to being smaller wheels but how are these smaller wheels when it comes to proper boulder filled steep descents off of mountains ???

Should I stay or should I go ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They are fine - you can ride anything on either wheels size, hell you could ride most things on 26 if you wanted too.

Really its just different strokes for different folks, and there is more to how a bike rides that just the wheel size. Best to try them and see what you think, generally a 27.5 is going to bit a bit easier to play around on and manoeuvre, and 29 faster rolling and potentially better at rolling over stuff, but a lot of that depends on tyres and tyre size too, and of course the geo of the bike.

I have found that just because a bike is one size or another, due to the other parts and designs that go into making a bike its not necessarily a given that all bikes on each wheel size have the best traits of either size.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Ye I'm aware of most of what you've said but never having owned nor ridden a 27.5 I'm wondering how well they ride over big rocks etc as well as a 29 with a tighter head.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just fine is the answer, its just different - I know not the answer you might want, but its subjective to the rider, how they ride and how they like the bike to feel.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I might also add, this is why some riders prefer mullet bikes (29 at the front, 27.5 at the rear), in order to seemingly get the best of both worlds.

I myself am not a fan of the mullet configuration even though it's mechanically sound engineering (trail and motocross motorcycles have larger front wheels for decades). Whatever handling advantages it would bring does not offset the hassle of having to maintain two different wheel/tyre sizes - relative to my current riding applications. I personally prefer a 27.5 eMTB because I favour the advantages of shorter chainstay lengths (especially over steep descends but not exclusively), although others may have other reasons why they would prefer 27.5 over the 29s.

Last edited:

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Handling is all a bit lost on me cause I don't particularity do fast single track/bermy type riding. My only reasoning for getting an ebike it to assist in the mountains as I have no desire to do them again on a manual bike.

My enquiry in more based around 27.5 ability ride over boulderfields or not sending me out the front door on steep rocky descents cause the wheels aren't big enough and yes I appreciate than can happen just as easily on a 29er.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Handling is all a bit lost on me cause I don't particularity do fast single track/bermy type riding. My only reasoning for getting an ebike it to assist in the mountains as I have no desire to do them again on a manual bike.

My enquiry in more based around 27.5 ability ride over boulderfields or not sending me out the front door on steep rocky descents cause the wheels aren't big enough and yes I appreciate than can happen just as easily on a 29er.
Half an inch variance in wheel radius can either make no difference or all the world of difference depending on the rider's specific riding style, experience, skill level, low or high speed capability over boulder-fields or smaller rock gardens (not to mention size of boulders and steepness of inclination you see yourself attempting). There are just too many variables for us to understand your situation fully, and for you to be able to accept whatever advice you could glean from this forum.

It's a very subjective matter to say the least. I don't even know what you mean by the word 'handling' because you seem to equate that to high speed only, whereas it equally pertains to low speed manoeuvres as well.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Been riding 29er's for years purely for beneficial rolling resistance but when looking to get an emtb I want one with a slacker head for when coming off of steep mountains etc (I don't do trail centres) but it seems 27.5's have slacker heads than 29ers which I understand to a point due to being smaller wheels but how are these smaller wheels when it comes to proper boulder filled steep descents off of mountains ???

Should I stay or should I go ?

You're not going to notice a world of difference going to 27.5s and you're not going to disappear into a hole! :)

I suggest borrowing/demoing a 27.5 bike to see how it feels, then spend $$

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
That ^^^

But not only that, a 27.5+ can have a similar, if only slightly smaller rolling diameter to a 29. As you probably know, bicycle wheels/tyres are measured on the overall diameter, unlike cars, or motorbikes. Strange, but that's how it is.

Mine has 27.5/2.8 tyres and I ride over pretty much everything. My mates Merida has 29/2.3 and there's little difference between overall diameter. I have much more tyre volume, obviously.

I think you've got a wee bit of "cabin fever" and analysing things to the nth degree as you can't get the bike you want, which is a feckin bummer tbh.

To sum up, 27.5 is not lesser than 29. Its just another option.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you're worried about slamming into rocks on fast trails or descents, you probably want to look at getting a 170/180 travel bike. That will be more of a deciding factor in surviving hard hits than the 27.5 or 29 choice.

A kenevo for instance is 180 and comes with 27.5

I think the cube 160 is 170 out front.

Two nights ago I almost went down when I lost the front, somehow recovered but then the only route option was straight over a 30cm tall square boulder at speed. Boing! Over we went. 180 27.5

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Cheers folks, some very good points made.

I was just opposed to 27.5 probably due to just riding a 29 all the time and the point about tyre size is very relevant as a dealer did mention something similar to me the other day.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you like 29, just stick with it, it sounds like from the kind of riding you do the faster rolling will have benefits.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Where do you ride @Cabby?

Well it's only been since lock down that I've got back in to my mtb in and around Dundee but I've done the likes of Torridon and Skye etc but have no desire to manual these places now but a lecky bike gives me the urge to do those type of rides again plus the Munros that are rideable to an extent.

Trail centres aren't my bag though getting an emtb would encourage to to return to Laggan again.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah... Ok. Haven't ridden much around Dundee for years. Actually did my first ever DH race in the Sidlaw Hills back in 1994/5. It was the first ever Scottish national DH race/series, there were only about 70 of us there and 90% of us were on hardtails with canti brakes and 26x2.1 tyres. I was due to head up to Ballo for a ride just before the whole Coronavirus outbreak. I generally tend to head to the trails in/around Stirling/Perth/Dunkeld/Aberfoyle/pitlochry way rather than heading up your way (similar travelling distance from here)

Also, don't be so quick to discount trail centres, Every single trail centre in Scotland also has un-waymarked natural riding in the same/surrounding area/hills. Including tons of amazing quality single track. so no matter what your off-road riding preference there'll be something you'd enjoy.
I kinda quite like the whole scalextrix track style of riding you get at trail centres on the graded/waymarked trails too due to the lack of thinking required. ;)

Oh... and, yeah... You'll be absolutely fine on 26" wheels nevermind 27.5. Scottish terrain in the areas you mention hasn't really changed in the past 30 years when 26 was the only choice unless you wanted to take yer 10 speed racer off road ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Me too mate. A Vindec 5 speed racer is what I wheelied home from primary school on in the 70s
Rode it off road a lot too

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Funnily enough I was worried about going to a 29 after riding my 27.5. I was concerned that the 29 wouldn't be as nimble as my 27 in the tight off-camber techy trails around here.
I test rode a Rail & whoa what a big front wheel! As soon as I started though I was really impressed with how nimble it was compared to my current bike, & it also just rolled over everything. I think someone commented above when they said it's all about the bikes geometry, & with the Rails getting sold out over here I think Trek have certainly nailed it.
This is the first 29 bike I've ridden in anger & I'm a convert to 29 now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles