Ideas for ride out in the lake district

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
Anyone offer some ideas for decent ride out in the lakes, going to centre parcs in a few monh and wanting to get a day out on the ebike.
Ive got a decent level of fitness however not much experience riding mountains so looking for somethings thats gonna be a good challenge and some good decent’s.
Been doing some reading on different routes however i dont get much opportunity to get out and do a this sort of riding so want to make the day count with a good route.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Whinlatter Forest near Keswick...

Spent three days there a few weeks ago, I found it better than Grisedale.

Some nice single track 'blue' runs and two 'red' loops (north and south). Good visitor centre and cafe too.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Helvellyn is close, here's a sample route:

Sticks Pass
Not ridden it, but have walked it a few times and nearly cried I wanted my bike so much! I love a good trail centre, but I think this is closer to what you specified in your OP.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
OK..get your specs out / relevant O.S.map ..
This is a great little ride in its own right ..but a supreme starter route to Lakeland riding .
Start either from the car park in Threlkeld or Blencathra Centre ( cuts out a steep road climb ) ..but both have limited parking ..follow the obvious trail to Skiddaw House ..
Screenshot_20210506-065837_ViewRanger.jpg

At Skiddaw House turn right and follow the track down to Mosedale ..
Mosedale turn left and climb the narrow road up to Calebreck where you turn left again onto a good mining track over the fells to a bridleway junction on the right taking you down Fellside Brow to Fellside.
Screenshot_20210506-070024_ViewRanger.jpg

Turn left at Fellside onto the road until the junction at Green Head and follow the road to Holborn which then follows a good track to Longlands .
Screenshot_20210506-070052_ViewRanger.jpg

At Longlands turn left again for a lengthy (quietish) road section through Orthwaite to a track on the left just past Peter House Farm ..take this track to climb steadily at first then very steeply to Whitewater Dash ( waterfall) ..and then on to Skiddaw House..to follow your outward leg back to the start.
The route can be extended over Lonscale Fell but I have omitted this section as you might have ( depending on your skill level ) a hike a bike section over a very narrow rocky section ..tricky enough to manoeuvre on a lighter mtb without the added weight of an ebike ..and there has been an mtb fatality here in the past ..and dying could seriously spoil your day out ..
The drop back from Skiddaw House is a good enough blast back on the outward leg ..hope you have a great day out ( should you decide to do this route ) ?
Edit : The Horse & Farrier pub is a cracking boozer for beer / food & accommodation in Threlkeld ..

Last edited:

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
Helvellyn is close, here's a sample route:

Sticks Pass
Not ridden it, but have walked it a few times and nearly cried I wanted my bike so much! I love a good trail centre, but I think this is closer to what you specified in your OP.

Yea thats more like what im after, helvellyn is one thay has caught eye.
Whinlatter Forest near Keswick...

Spent three days there a few weeks ago, I found it better than Grisedale.

Some nice single track 'blue' runs and two 'red' loops (north and south). Good visitor centre and cafe too.

i did whinlatter last year, had a great day out, loved the south loop i think it was.

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
This is a great little ride in its own right ..but a supreme starter route to Lakeland riding .
Start either from the car park in Threlkeld or Blencathra Centre ( cuts out a steep road climb ) ..but both have limited parking ..follow the obvious trail to Skiddaw House .. View attachment 60709
Mosedale turn left and climb the narrow road up to Calebreck where you turn left again onto a good mining track over the fells to a bridleway junction on the right taking you down Fellside Brow to Fellside.
View attachment 60710
Turn left at Fellside onto the road until the junction at Green Head and follow the road to Holborn which then follows a good track to Longlands .
View attachment 60711
At Longlands turn left again for a lengthy (quietish) road section through Orthwaite to a track on the left just past Peter House Farm ..take this track to climb steadily at first then very steeply to Whitewater Dash ( waterfall) ..and then on to Skiddaw House..to follow your outward leg back to the start.
The route can be extended over Lonscale Fell but I have omitted this section as you might have ( depending on your skill level ) a hike a bike section over a very narrow rocky section ..tricky enough to manoeuvre on a lighter mtb without the added weight of an ebike ..and there has been an mtb fatality here in the past ..and dying could seriously spoil your day out ..
The drop back from Skiddaw House is a good enough blast back on the outward leg ..hope you have a great day out ( should you decide to do this route ) ?
Edit : The Horse & Farrier pub is a cracking boozer for beer / food & accommodation in Threlkeld ..

cheers mate sounds like another good contender, think you might be right about the hike a bike section, dont like the thought of bike taking a big tumble ?

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Start either from the car park in Threlkeld or Blencathra Centre ( cuts out a steep road climb ) ..but both have limited parking ..follow the obvious trail to Skiddaw House .. View attachment 60709
View attachment 60710
View attachment 60711
DONE THIS LOOP FROM THE WHITE HORSE INN( ITS ALSO A BUNK BARN) AT SCALES HEADING TOWARDS MUNGRISDALE,OUT TO MOSEDALE, TURN LEFT, ON TOWARDS SKIDDAW HOUSE,( TAKE SOME CHANGE FOR THE COFFEE)HEAD OUT AND DOWN THE B/W BETWEEN LONSCALE FELL AND BLENCATHRA, TAKE THE LEFT B/W THAT SKIRTS ROUND THE BASE OF BLENCATHRA, AT THE CAR PARK THERES A FOOTPATH THAT HEADS UP TO THE SUMMIT OF BLENCATHRA, RIDE ALONG THE RIDGE TO THE HIGHEST POINT , THERE IS A PATH THAT ZIGZAGS DOWN TOWARDS THE PUB AND BACK TO THE START, AWESOME SKETCHY LAKES ACTION !!!!! A MUST

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
DONE THIS LOOP FROM THE WHITE HORSE INN( ITS ALSO A BUNK BARN) AT SCALES HEADING TOWARDS MUNGRISDALE,OUT TO MOSEDALE, TURN LEFT, ON TOWARDS SKIDDAW HOUSE,( TAKE SOME CHANGE FOR THE COFFEE)HEAD OUT AND DOWN THE B/W BETWEEN LONSCALE FELL AND BLENCATHRA, TAKE THE LEFT B/W THAT SKIRTS ROUND THE BASE OF BLENCATHRA, AT THE CAR PARK THERES A FOOTPATH THAT HEADS UP TO THE SUMMIT OF BLENCATHRA, RIDE ALONG THE RIDGE TO THE HIGHEST POINT , THERE IS A PATH THAT ZIGZAGS DOWN TOWARDS THE PUB AND BACK TO THE START, AWESOME SKETCHY LAKES ACTION !!!!! A MUST
Talking about footpath routes( ssshhh) ..the track up from Mungrisdale following the river ( Glenderamackin) taking a left to traverse the side of Scales Fell up towards Scales Tarn ..( didn't check out the tarn itself ) then back down the track beneath Bannerdale Crags / White Horse Bent is another little cracker ..but of course I wouldn't admit to ever riding it ??

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Talking about footpath routes( ssshhh) ..the track up from Mungrisdale following the river ( Glenderamackin) taking a left to traverse the side of Scales Fell up towards Scales Tarn ..( didn't check out the tarn itself ) then back down the track beneath Bannerdale Crags / White Horse Bent is another little cracker ..but of course I wouldn't admit to ever riding it ??
We did the skiddaw house loop and we saw ???another group of riders goin up the footpath to the summit and down the zigzags to the pub at Scales!!! They looked like they had fun ??

RichE

May 1, 2021
Uk
I live up in the North Lakes and most of the best riding is on naughty footpaths so apparently they're best done after all the walkers have gone to the pub in the evenings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles