I made a list of spare kit (all brand new and unused)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What prompted me to make a list?

I made a temporary repair to my saddle that lasted longer afterwards than the life I had before the repair. After a recent very wet and gritty ride, the stitches finally failed on the shoulders and the saddle burst open. I reached for a temporary replacement in the box I keep old saddles in and found a brand new one of the one I wanted, still in the original packaging! I must have bought it when I made the previous temporary repair and then because it lasted so long, I had forgotten about it.

But what else did I have stashed about the place? I decided to make a list. I was astonished and somewhat embarrassed. This is all brand new, never used, and mostly still in the original packaging. Some of it I knew about, but there was much that I had completely forgotten about. These were mainly the following:
  • Fantastic deals that were too good to miss.
  • Stuff bought quite a while ago.
  • Two for one offers.
  • Stuff I really like but was going out of production, so buy while stocks last!
  • Warranty items that came after I had already replaced the failed one.
The list excludes tools, but does include clothing or protective items that are infrequent purchases. It excludes used items, but does include items that were used once while still on a new bike before my item of choice arrived. So, they are not new, but are like new.

The list is long, so I'll put it on my next post.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Here it is! I even had to put where stuff was so that I could find it again.

Backpack, Trespass, 15 litre + 2 litre H2O bladder - bagged, bedroom.
Brake Pads, finned NO3A, Shimano resin – boxed, black toolbox.
Brake Caliper, Shimano BR MT520 (4pot) + DO1S plain pads – Black toolbox
Brake fluid, Shimano 100ml – black toolbox.
Cable ties (100), 300mm x 4mm – black toolbox
Chain, Shimano XT, 12s, 126 links – boxed, black toolbox.
Folding Saw (2 new + 2 almost new), Wolverine & Klappsage – black toolbox
Gear cables, sundry – black toolbox.
Gloves, Endura windproof – bagged, utility cupboard.
Gloves, Endura Humvee Plus II – bagged, utility cupboard.
Gloves, Fox Flexair, matches shirt – bagged, utility cupboard.
Helmet - Bell Super 3 – boxed, in garage.
Knee & shin guards, Troy Lee Designs – packed, bedroom.
Mech, Shimano SLX 12s – boxed in black toolbox.
Mech hanger, Merida eOne-Sixty – bagged, black toolbox.
Saddle, Merida, inc mini toolkit, OEM – bagged, on bike box.
Saddle, Specialized – bagged, on bike box.
Spacers, Fox shock, various sizes – black toolbox.
Tokens (3), Fox 38mm, 10cc – black toolbox.
Tokens (6), Rockshox 35mm – black toolbox.
Tube, Presta, 27.5x 2.3-3.0 – black toolbox.
Tube, Presta, 29x 2.4-2.8 – black toolbox.
Tubeless valves (3), Presta – black toolbox.
Tyre, Maxxis Assegai, 29x2.5” 3C – garage, next to wheelbarrow.
Tyre, Maxxis HR II, 29x2.5” 3C - garage, next to wheelbarrow.
Tyres (2 x like new) Maxxis Rekon, 29x2.5” 3C - garage, next to wheelbarrow.
Tyres (2 x like new) Maxxis Crossmark II, 27.5x2.5” 3C - garage, next to wheelbarrow.
Undershorts, padded, Endura – bagged, bedroom.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Lol my list is 10x yours

8 sets of pads
7 brand new Conti tyres
5 spare wheels
3 sets of bars
2 sets of brakes
4 sets of pedals
6 sets of DMR deathgrips
5 saddles
40+ bearings for frames, headsets

I'm sure there's a shit tonne more

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Lol my list is 10x yours

8 sets of pads
7 brand new Conti tyres
5 spare wheels
3 sets of bars
2 sets of brakes
4 sets of pedals
6 sets of DMR deathgrips
5 saddles
40+ bearings for frames, headsets

I'm sure there's a shit tonne more
That is some serious coin right there.
But they all seem perfectly legitimate to me. I can understand how you got there. :)
I'm glad it's not just me! :giggle:

Edit: Hang on a minute! Are they all brand new? My list wasn't just stuff that I had accumulated from discarded stuff from old bikes and things like worn out grips that were at least usable and "might come in" if I damaged the ones in use. Oh, yes, I have plenty of that sort of thing! :giggle:
I even have some spare bars that I haven't included even though they are "like new" because of the spec (straight and made of steel!), or proper high spec alloy, but are only 600mm wide!
I also have a spare fork that came off a 2nd hand kids bike that was a rebuild project for my grandson about 8 years ago. None of those, or items like them have been included. My list is all brand new, usually in its original packaging. There are a few items that are "like new" for reasons explained, but very few.

Last edited:

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Mostly yes, but a lot of them are given by sponsors, like DMR bars, DMR pedals, crankbrothers pedals and shoes (there's 4 brand new sets of mallet shoes too lol)

Tyres I've bought and they'll be fitted for national championships in 2 weeks and European championships in 6 weeks

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
What prompted me to make a list?

I made a temporary repair to my saddle that lasted longer afterwards than the life I had before the repair. After a recent very wet and gritty ride, the stitches finally failed on the shoulders and the saddle burst open. I reached for a temporary replacement in the box I keep old saddles in and found a brand new one of the one I wanted, still in the original packaging! I must have bought it when I made the previous temporary repair and then because it lasted so long, I had forgotten about it.

But what else did I have stashed about the place? I decided to make a list. I was astonished and somewhat embarrassed. This is all brand new, never used, and mostly still in the original packaging. Some of it I knew about, but there was much that I had completely forgotten about. These were mainly the following:
  • Fantastic deals that were too good to miss.
  • Stuff bought quite a while ago.
  • Two for one offers.
  • Stuff I really like but was going out of production, so buy while stocks last!
  • Warranty items that came after I had already replaced the failed one.
The list excludes tools, but does include clothing or protective items that are infrequent purchases. It excludes used items, but does include items that were used once while still on a new bike before my item of choice arrived. So, they are not new, but are like new.

The list is long, so I'll put it on my next post.
Got a comfortable touring saddle in shed 11 years old still unused . Mobile washing thing for bike plug in to cigarette lighter still in box , compressor for drying ebike ???? . I could go on and on , but I'm no spring chicken . Loft is nearly empty though.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

Bwahahahahaha! That's pretty bad, dawg.

Whether you accept it or not, you're getting closer and closer to your "Use By" date. When you finally do tip over, your heirs are probably going to see all that junk and be irked that they have to spend the whole weekend hauling it down to the dumpster. Might as well give it all away to your homies now, while it's still useable.

Sometimes I offer stuff up to the local group for a really good price. I don't offer it up for free because there are a lot of cockroaches who don't need it, but they'll just take anything that's free.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles