How much shock do you really need?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
We are a suspension tuning center, and our philosophy is "It is YOUR feel, Not anyone elses or what I think you should have". That being said, a basic shock or fork (if a somewhat decent fork) that is properly setup is better than the highest end stuff that is set up incorrect. We have many requests to "overshock" a bike, and first we like to see if/how we can make what is there better. Adding dials, clickers, coatings and bling does nothing but cost more and look cool if not set proper. If you are happy with what you have- enjoy the hell out of it and spend your money on a skills clinic.

But your philosophy is in direct contradiction to the "If you can't be good, you can at least look good!" and there is only one thing more gratifying than someone saying "oooooh.... is that the new Ohlins XYZ?" which of course is "wow, you sure made that Double Black technical trail look so smooth and easy!" One takes years and years of practice, skill and effort while the other only takes a swipe of a Mastercard. Either make an old man feel pretty good but one is infinitely more obtainable :cool:

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
Another thing that I learned over the course of this thread is that "shock X" and "shock X factory tuned for my specific bike" can actually be two totally different shocks, even using different shim stacks (watched an interesting yt video on that topic the other day). Which of course makes it even more complicated to upgrade, if you or your bank account feel the need to. Well, I still don't and now I know why. 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles