How many chain links?

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Hi. I'm replacing the chain on my wife's 140 Stereo Hybrid 2018. How many links on the chain?
Thanks.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
you will need to buy the chain to match the amount of gears you have. In your case the bike is a 11 speed and uses a KMC chain. I would guess something like below
e11 EPT for MTB | KMC Chain
you will need tools to remove the chain and remove links from the new chain. you can size the chain by laying the old chain along side by side with the new chain
take a look here

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Thanks Jamy.
That's the chain I bought.
Did as you suggested and measured agains the old chain and removed 5 links.
Installed new chain on bike and it shifts through all gears ok.
It's developed a rattling sound from the gear area with the new chain I will have to look into.
Maybe old cassette and new chain not a good combo.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Thanks Jamy.
It's developed a rattling sound from the gear area with the new chain I will have to look into.

This can't be happening twice in 2 days, surely? :ROFLMAO:

@Goughy75 Maybe this thread could help:

Deurallier vibration - EMTB Forums

macs80

Feb 16, 2020
Switzerland
I have the same question for my action team 2020 (size 18).
I have to replace the Shimano SLX CN-M7100 chain but they sell it in 116, 126 and 138 links.
which one fit better ? Of course the 138 links costs more.

Thanks

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
as i stated previously it depends on how many gears you have. 10,11 or 12 speed. no matter which chain you buy you will need to remove links from the chain as its also dependent on your front chain ring size.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I have the same question for my action team 2020 (size 18).
I have to replace the Shimano SLX CN-M7100 chain but they sell it in 116, 126 and 138 links.
which one fit better ? Of course the 138 links costs more.

Thanks

That chain usually gets fitted with a speed link. Why not undo the link, take off the chain and measure it? The number of links is two times the chain length in inches.

I've been re-using the speed link with no problem. If you want to follow Shimano's recommendation, you'll have to fit a new one to re-attach the chain. Given that you're about the change the chain anyway, that seems a bit wasteful.

macs80

Feb 16, 2020
Switzerland
I have counted the chains. There are 58 outer links + the quick link.
So 58 x 2 = 116 + the quick link. Shimano sell exactly this length. So if I buy it I could put the chain as is. Sounds good ? ?

Thanks

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I have counted the chains. There are 58 outer links + the quick link.
So 58 x 2 = 116 + the quick link. Shimano sell exactly this length. So if I buy it I could put the chain as is. Sounds good ? ?

Thanks

I've never been very trusting. Whenever I've changed a chain the first time on a new bike, I have always gone back to Shimano's Dealer Manual for the derailleur and have checked the new chain length before cutting it. I've then checked the required new chain length obtained by using Shimano's measurement against the old chain. All subsequent chain renewals, I just measure the new one against the old one to get the same number of links.

simon221174

Mar 29, 2020
Nottingham
Thanks Jamy.

Maybe check the clutch on the derailleur, you might of switched it off when removing the old chain? Only know as i made the same mistake a few days ago lol

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles