How do I change a tubeless tyre ?

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
I’ve a Trek Rail 7 with run flats and want to change the tyre. Is there anything specific I have to do and can I do it myself ?

Cheers

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve a Trek Rail 7 with run flats and want to change the tyre. Is there anything specific I have to do and can I do it myself ?

Cheers
There’s a few items that may help with changing a tire. Here’s what I would do.

-A round garbage can/bin that supports the diameter of the wheel.
-2 tire levers. (Plastic, learn how to use them properly.)
- Spray bottle with soap/water mixture, 7 parts water, 1 part dish soap.
-A device that creates compressed air ( at least 50+ psi), hand pump, floor pump, air compressor.
-Valve core removal tool.
-Tire sealant. (80-100ml per tire).
-Patience (this is necessary and priceless).
-Rim tape (30mm wide), learn how to install this properly. Sometimes Trek/Bontrager uses a black plastic rim seal…and sometimes those fail. I remove them.
-A helper (sometimes needed but not necessary. Not a dog 🐕.

I use Filmore Valves. They’re expensive, but standard or existing presta valves are fine.

(Part 1) Begin tire removal.
Lower the psi and remove the valve core so there is 0(zero) psi in the old tire. Break the bead on both sides of the tire (the heal of your hand may help by applying force and chasing the bead around.

Let the bead of the tire settle into the channel of the rim before you try to remove the tire with the plastic levers. Carefully insert the plastic levers between the rim of the wheel and bead of the tire.

Stretch the bead of the tire over the rim of the wheel using the plastic lever ( or levers if necessary) and chase it around the diameter of the wheel. Remove the side of the tire, the same way and from the same side …ta-da…have a sip of your favourite beverage.

(Part 2) Begin installation.
Thoroughly clean your rim.(soap and water. ISO alcohol if you’re installing rim tape.) Overlap at the valve hole (3-4” each side with rim tape. Use a heated awl to melt a hole through the rim tape , sized to the valve diameter. Insert the valve through the hole and check for fit. Install the nut and tighten securely with your fingers. Wiggle the valve around and tighten again. Keep doing this until you are satisfied that the seal is good. ( I sometimes give the nut a 1/4 turn after this with some pliers.

Direction of tire. This is important. Alignment of manufacturer or name on the sidewall …centered to the valve.(IMO this is extremely important. You will look like a pro and avoid any embarrassing moments or explanations).👍🏻 you’ll probably live longer too. 😉

When you’re ready, lay the wheel on the garbage can/bin and begin mounting the tire back onto the rim. ( reverse of removing). Spray both sides with soapy water, remove valve core only and start applying air pressure. Both sides should seat or “pop”. Check to make sure the bead is seated correctly.

Allow pressure out and introduce tire sealant through the valve (80-100ml). There is another method but this one works.

Pump the pressure up to 30-40psi after you’ve installed the valve core. Rotate the tire several times and check for leaks using the soapy water spray.

If everything is ok…no leaks …regulate to your desired psi. (16-26psi?) .

Go for a ride 👍🏻…after you’ve mounted the wheels back on of course. 😉

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
These are invaluable for tyres with inserts
1720265672919.png

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Brilliant thanks very much for that , so with already having it tubeless and just changing the tyres I take it you have to put more sealant in and is the valve reusable ?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
the valve is on the wheel not the tyre so you can either replace it or not, up to you. You might be able to get it to go up with a track pump. If that doesn't work use a tyre booster or make your own with a 2 litre coke bottle.

Of course you will need sealant but that goes it after you get the tyre bead seated ideally.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Yes and yes.
I personally use Oko fluid as it's water based and I water mine down about 25%
Stick about 200ml in it.
Get it from Amazon or any farm store.
If it's good enough for tractor tyres then a scabby little bike tyre won't cause much trouble 🤔

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Brilliant thanks very much for that , so with already having it tubeless and just changing the tyres I take it you have to put more sealant in and is the valve reusable ?
Depends on the amount, age and condition of the sealant. Just don’t mix brands of sealant.

I can’t tell you which sealant is better, but I’ve used Bontrager and Muc-Off, and sometimes Stans. Some are thick, some have small bits in them, some degrade over time. Don’t use Canadian Maple Syrup …trust me on this! 😉

Valve cores are reusable. Just check the condition or clean them very thoroughly.

Adding sealant is fine also …same type though, but not too much. I’ve collected 3 different types of sealant in the larger containers. But I use a smaller container as a measuring device (88ml) or a syringe.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Bonus is you can buy three and chuck one in ya bum for triple tire lever action!....

PS I've still snapped those bastards too....
You rough sod 🤣.
It's a good job they are guaranteed for life. Or does that just mean until you kill it?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A few tips I have found that help success!

1. Remove any new tyre from its packaging a day in advance and lay it flat somewhere warm.
2. Don't bother trying to inflate with a floor pump...invest in something like the Airshot.
3. After inflation ( without sealant) using something like the Airshot, you will have a pressure of about 20psi. Continue inflating to about 35psi. (with Airshot you can do that with the floor pump without disconnecting the Airshot). Leave at that pressure for 10 minutes and use a rubber headed hammer or a lump of wood to tap the tyre all around.
4. After inserting Sealand inflate again to about 35 psi and then rotate the wheel at an angle to run the Sealand around inside both sides of the tyre. Bounce the tyre a few times the lay the wheel flat on a bin for 10 minutes.....turn it over and repeat.
5. Preferably leave at that pressure overnight and do a short tarmac ride.
6 lastly...not essential but I find it helps....avoid using pressures below about 24psi for one proper offroad ride.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
There’s a few items that may help with changing a tire. Here’s what I would do.

-A round garbage can/bin that supports the diameter of the wheel.
-2 tire levers. (Plastic, learn how to use them properly.)
- Spray bottle with soap/water mixture, 7 parts water, 1 part dish soap.
-A device that creates compressed air ( at least 50+ psi), hand pump, floor pump, air compressor.
-Valve core removal tool.
-Tire sealant. (80-100ml per tire).
-Patience (this is necessary and priceless).
-Rim tape (30mm wide), learn how to install this properly. Sometimes Trek/Bontrager uses a black plastic rim seal…and sometimes those fail. I remove them.
-A helper (sometimes needed but not necessary. Not a dog 🐕.

I use Filmore Valves. They’re expensive, but standard or existing presta valves are fine.

(Part 1) Begin tire removal.
Lower the psi and remove the valve core so there is 0(zero) psi in the old tire. Break the bead on both sides of the tire (the heal of your hand may help by applying force and chasing the bead around.

Let the bead of the tire settle into the channel of the rim before you try to remove the tire with the plastic levers. Carefully insert the plastic levers between the rim of the wheel and bead of the tire.

Stretch the bead of the tire over the rim of the wheel using the plastic lever ( or levers if necessary) and chase it around the diameter of the wheel. Remove the side of the tire, the same way and from the same side …ta-da…have a sip of your favourite beverage.

(Part 2) Begin installation.
Thoroughly clean your rim.(soap and water. ISO alcohol if you’re installing rim tape.) Overlap at the valve hole (3-4” each side with rim tape. Use a heated awl to melt a hole through the rim tape , sized to the valve diameter. Insert the valve through the hole and check for fit. Install the nut and tighten securely with your fingers. Wiggle the valve around and tighten again. Keep doing this until you are satisfied that the seal is good. ( I sometimes give the nut a 1/4 turn after this with some pliers.

Direction of tire. This is important. Alignment of manufacturer or name on the sidewall …centered to the valve.(IMO this is extremely important. You will look like a pro and avoid any embarrassing moments or explanations).👍🏻 you’ll probably live longer too. 😉

When you’re ready, lay the wheel on the garbage can/bin and begin mounting the tire back onto the rim. ( reverse of removing). Spray both sides with soapy water, remove valve core only and start applying air pressure. Both sides should seat or “pop”. Check to make sure the bead is seated correctly.

Allow pressure out and introduce tire sealant through the valve (80-100ml). There is another method but this one works.

Pump the pressure up to 30-40psi after you’ve installed the valve core. Rotate the tire several times and check for leaks using the soapy water spray.

If everything is ok…no leaks …regulate to your desired psi. (16-26psi?) .

Go for a ride 👍🏻…after you’ve mounted the wheels back on of course. 😉

1) Obtain a round trash receptacle that fits the tire inserts
2) Remove tire inserts
3) Place them in the bin

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Bonus is you can buy three and chuck one in ya bum for triple tire lever action!....

PS I've still snapped those bastards too....
You’re thinking of Tush-Core Levers…they look the same as CushCore Levers.

And how in the hell did you snap a Tush Core Lever? 🤯 . …that’s some serious action right there!😉

flowless

May 3, 2024
Spain
After slashing the rear tyre tried to put a new one with new rim tape, always the same result, after an hour or so, it drops from 2 bars to 0.5 bars.
This is my 3rd try, in my second one, put sealant and was a disaster, losing drop by drop thru the spokes.
The last one I didn't put sealant yet and is loosing air slower than before, but is not keeping it. Any ideas?
New tyre, new rim tape, the rim has 2 months.. I don't know what to do next...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Assuming you were running tubeless before did you thoroughly clean the rim before doing the new rim tape? I suggest starting again. After thoroughly cleaning the rim apply your new rim tape making sure it sits into the centre well of the rim with no trapped air bubbles and that the tape is applied with sufficient tension.
Inflating the tyre to about 35psi without sealant and leaving it for 10 minutes will also help to compress the tape fully onto the rim. Deflate and add sealant through the valve and inflate again to 35psi.......bounce the wheel, rotate it, the leave flat on each side for 10 minutes.

flowless

May 3, 2024
Spain
4rd attempt almost a success!
My problem was that I moved the rim tape while installing the tyre (very hard with mousse).
Now it keeps the air but I have one leak, between the rim and the tyre, next to the welded join of the rim.
No sealant added yet, my plan is go out for a spin and then put the sealant, I don't want to make a mess with the sealant at home.
Maybe I remove all the air and put silicone in that spot if sealant is not enough.

ADVICE TO NEWBIES: BE GENTLE PUTTING THE TYRE AND PUT THE BEAD OF THE TYRE IN THE CENTER OF THE RIM!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Applying the rim tape I important. Correct width, length, application, type and after installation care is vital. Your wheel rim must be free of any dirt, old tape residue or obvious dents or cracks.

You can clean the rim initially with soap and water but the final cleaning of the surface should be done with isopropyl alcohol (a light spray and wipe).

Be careful not to scratch or score the rim tape during the tire installation process. This may cause air leakage through the spoke holes or small vent holes around the rim.

Overlap the rim tape on both sides of the air valve hole by at least 3”. Use a heated awl to create an appropriate sized hole for the air valve. When installing the air valve through the rim tape and into position, slightly wiggle the valve stem as you tighten the valve/rim nut. Finger tighten the nut until there is no more movement (I add a 1/4 turn after this …just in case.)

After you’ve added sealant and rotated your tire several times, check for any air leaks at 30-40psi. Going for a ride will help distribute the sealant also. Regulate to your favourite psi (12-30psi) for MTB tires.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles