Hi, wrong side of 49…

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Welcome to the Forum! :)

What do you mean the wrong side of 49? What is wrong with being older than 49 on an emtb?

I didn't even get an mtb until I was 58. I rode for years matching (sometimes exceeding) the always younger people than me. But eventually arthritic knees took over and I bought an emtb when I was 68. I'm 73 now, so the wrong side of 49 by a considerable margin (and mileage). :ROFLMAO:

Whatever happens to you, keep biking, it's good for you! :)

Simo

Sep 29, 2024
East Midlands England

What do you mean the wrong side of 49? What is wrong with being older than 49 on an emtb?

I didn't even get an mtb until I was 58. I rode for years matching (sometimes exceeding) the always younger people than me. But eventually arthritic knees took over and I bought an emtb when I was 68. I'm 73 now, so the wrong side of 49 by a considerable margin (and mileage). :ROFLMAO:

Nothing wrong with it mate, just a dig at myself really ( had the big birthday couple weeks back) Been riding on n off since I was a kid but with work and life in general getting in the way decided it was time to treat myself😁 plenty of gravel riding near me but to use my full suss means loading in car and driving. Now I’m hoping to pedal to the trails and just spend more time in the saddle

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Pick up my first EMTB soon, hoping to get out more often and further 🍻

It's ok that you're on the wrong side of 49. Around here we're usually pretty tolerant and supportive of young folks. Stick around and eventually you'll gain the experience and skills so that you can ride with the big dogs.

p5pb19531753.jpg

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

Didn't he mean the too young side of 49, without all the experience and wisdom we now have at 73? (Although my child-development professor wife may question the wisdom part when I come home banged up & bruised)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Didn't he mean the too young side of 49, without all the experience and wisdom we now have at 73? (Although my child-development professor wife may question the wisdom part when I come home banged up & bruised)
I get the same response from my wife!
My Mother (rip) was visiting when I came back from my first ride on my new bike (1st mtb) the day after I'd returned from a skills course - "Introduction to mtb". I had gone faster than my skillset would allow and did a full superman on a cinder downhill (ie a gentle slope). I broke my 3-day old helmet and my expensive normal specs and also bruised my face. Without any guards, I also did some seriously deep gouges to my knees and elbows. I was 10 miles from home and on my own. Might as well press on.

When I got home, I had blood running into my socks and gloves. On that occasion my wife was out, but Mum took over. She was swabbing off the blood and wondering what to do with the gouges. I can hear her now "Oh Stephen, it's just like when you were a little boy!" Yes Mum, I'll try to do better in future! :love:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
A few times a year I act as a 3 year old …usually after a peddle strike to the shin. You may have heard my cries 🥲.

Other times I behave like a teenager. I wear a full-face helmet but I don’t worry about the price of broken components.

When I’m in “dad” mode I stare at my watch too much …and rush home on time.

Sometimes I’m in “mission mode”. I ride from A to B and back to A again. I avoid talking to anyone …cause I’m on a mission. 🤷‍♂️

I never plan on “Hospital mode “ . That’s impossible.

As an old fart, I enjoy all those modes, and probably more.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles