HI, I'm Graham from the Uk 🇬🇧

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I've not got myself an ebike yet, but I've started to take an interest, looking to pick up some tips for buying etc.

Many thanks.
Try as many as you can before buying. There is such a huge variety out there now, even within some individual manufacturers own ranges but especially when looking at the bigger picture, that you need to ride as many as you can. Easier said than done, with some of the more persistent availability issues, but very well worth your time. Try not to be hustled with the "this just came in", or "it's the last one in stock", etc. It's far more costly to get lumbered with a bike you don't actually want, as eMTBs tend to lose a shed-load of value right out the door (think new car, dealer forecourt!). I speak from experience! 🤦‍♂️

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Gkf9 In addition to the advice from @CJaMTB (which I agree with), buy from an LBS within easy commuting distance. I bought from an LBS round trip 3 hours away, considerably less than some on here, but getting home to find a message that the random electrical fault "is fixed now and you can collect the bike" can get irritating after a while.

Gkf9

Dec 28, 2022
Chorley
Thanks guys, yes I've recently just got my 2008 HT GT Avalanche out of the garage after a 10 year absense from the MTB scene, recently just changed it to a 1x11 set up, stuck a new 11 speed cassette, 32t chainring and 11 speed shifter, new bars and stem to freshen it up, it was only later after doing all this I found out all the bike industry as changed so much, regarding the wheel size and geometry etc. I'm really fancying an ebike atm, but yes the choices out there are massive.

I still love the bike, and I've been out on it a few times before this awful weather started.

I was vey agains ebikes

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
@Gkf9 In addition to the advice from @CJaMTB (which I agree with), buy from an LBS within easy commuting distance. I bought from an LBS round trip 3 hours away, considerably less than some on here, but getting home to find a message that the random electrical fault "is fixed now and you can collect the bike" can get irritating after a while.
Problem is getting the bike you set you mind on from a local LBS. I own an Orbed Rise and when i was in the market for one they were very difficult to get hold of. i ended up buying from an LBS that is about 3 hours away as well but since i do most of my own maintenance, i only visited once after purchase and that was for the free tune up a few months later.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Problem is getting the bike you set you mind on from a local LBS. I own an Orbed Rise and when i was in the market for one they were very difficult to get hold of. i ended up buying from an LBS that is about 3 hours away as well but since i do most of my own maintenance, i only visited once after purchase and that was for the free tune up a few months later.
I too do most of my own maintenance, just not the electrical stuff. For that I need the LBS.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles