Hi from South uk

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Hi Sue
E mtb rider from Stubbington here. Welcome to the wonderful world of E bikes. I do lots of rides on the Downs and up the Meon Valley and beyond. You are welcome to come along if you want.

John K

May 30, 2019
Brighton, UK.
Another Southerner here in Fareham. Welcome aboard.

I misread your moniker as Cider Sue, which makes me thirsty on a hot day like this.

Must ride to a pub this weekend. :unsure::)

Pukmeister, I wonder if you know the best on/off road route to cycle from Fareham to Chichester? I was thinking of cycling to my friend's place in Titchfield from Brighton. I know the route to Chi-town but wouldn't know the safest route after that. How reliable is the Route 2 NCR?

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Meon Valley Rail line to South Downs Way. South Downs Way to Cocking Gap then bridle paths to West Dean then cycle track to Chi. It is very hilly, some steep ups and downs. Terry

John K

May 30, 2019
Brighton, UK.
Meon Valley Rail line to South Downs Way. South Downs Way to Cocking Gap then bridle paths to West Dean then cycle track to Chi. It is very hilly, some steep ups and downs. Terry

Yes, that was my worry. I'm not sure I'll make the distance if I add the Downs to the route. Are there safe ways to hug the south of the Downs without getting up too high?

Cuberidersue

Aug 24, 2019
Fareham uk
I and Adam,
(Puckmeister) are doing a ride from West Meon Village Hall car park to Cheesfoot Head and back, circular route, about 24 miles
On Sunday starting about 1045 more than welcome to come. Just let me know please.
Thank you Terry , I am in Scotland at the moment , having some ebike fun at Glentress , so won't be able to make it Sunday , maybe the next one ? ??

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
John K,

Terry is my local riding buddy and the man in the know. His local knowledge is superb, there probably isn't a local trail or bridleway he hasn't ridden. We did a bit of the SDW last weekend and Tower Hill/Beacon Hill/Penn Hill by South Harting were a fair slog although to be fair it was damned hot.

As Terrys says, from Fareham you could ride past Knowle Village to Wickham via Mayles Lane, then take the old railway line to Meonstoke/Corhampton to access the SDW. Its then via Salt Hill,Tegdown Hill and Butser Hill to QECP according to the map. Its mostly trails with the odd tarmac section.

If you hope to avoid climbs I think you are out of luck to be brutally honest. Tarmac roads are best avoided, too much fast moving traffic coming fast around country bends. The beauty, tranquility, and stunning views from offroad trails are worth the climbs.

Harvey Maps make a "National Trail -South Downs Way" detailed trail map number XT40 which is good, plus there are Ordnance Survey maps, the Trailforks app and several online guides such as this one:

bikedowns.co.uk Cyclist guide riding bike South Downs Way

Last edited:

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
26.1 miles today with a nice pub stop at rides end, thanks Terry. The new renthals felt spot on and no back ache. 60% battery used, bike needs a wash.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles