Hi folk's, Newbie from Dundee

MC1

Jul 24, 2020
Dundee
Very new to this, I have a Cube Stereo in the post right now coming from Bikester for the Mrs but I'm struggling to come up with something for myself.

I'm pretty tall so getting a bit freaked in making sure what ever I buy will fit properly.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
How tall are you? You could look at the Mondrakers, they're well known for their long geometry, but you might find an XL from any brand would suit, for reference I'm around 6foot one and a large is perfect for me. I think sizing is more about reach, if you're long-legged you can always fit a longer dropper post, and in doing that you will increase your reach as well

Reactions: MC1

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
Depends on what you like to ride, steep and scary or self preservation sensible.The new Orbeas are are coming soon Daniel at Pitscottie or Perth dealers Spokes for Giant or John at Leuchars

Reactions: MC1

MC1

Jul 24, 2020
Dundee
I'm 6'2 bud, not too tall but just that range where you hear and read about the cheaper end of e bikes being a little shorter in reach.

Mondraker make some nice bikes but a bit pricey, I was just getting a bike for myself but then the Mrs wanted involved too, so now my budget has taken a bit of a beating after getting the Stereo.

So now I'm looking at no more than 4K to spend, originally I would've liked a levo but now think maybe a 140 stereo for 3800 or a focus jam, my thinking if push comes to shove I can go 500W on the battery if I stay with Bosch as the mrs has 625W and only weighs about 8st and I'm about 14st, swap her battery and that should help even out the distance from each bike on a ride. I also like the look of the Orbea Wild h series for their money, have seen them for as little as 3600.

MC1

Jul 24, 2020
Dundee
As I've said I do like the look of the Orbea Wild and I really like the idea of getting the bike from a local dealer rather than online. Just this Covid making everything a pain when even trying to just visit a lbs.

We're in our late 40's so just trying this out, so some easy stuff to start with but if we get on with it we'll not be shy with cracking on and will upgrade our kit if needs must?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
As I've said I do like the look of the Orbea Wild and I really like the idea of getting the bike from a local dealer rather than online. Just this Covid making everything a pain when even trying to just visit a lbs.

We're in our late 40's so just trying this out, so some easy stuff to start with but if we get on with it we'll not be shy with cracking on and will upgrade our kit if needs must?
I would look for the bike with the best suspension and motor/battery combination you can afford. Suspension is expensive, although if you look for a fork and shock that are upgradeable, you can save on the upfront purchase price that way. For example a Yari fork can be upgraded to make it the same as a Lyrik, but some of RockShox' cheaper forks you can't upgrade. Then look at frame geometry, sizing is going to be key for you. Nothing else on a bike matters much because it's all upgradeable in the future as budget allows. For example a Trek Rail 7 is a considerably cheaper bike than the Rail 9, but still a good platform that can be upgraded over time.

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north

If you're considering an Orbea Wild you can order it on line and do the custom colours thing, and get it delivered to a local dealer of your choice this was was my plan till they sold them all ?

MC1

Jul 24, 2020
Dundee
I would look for the bike with the best suspension and motor/battery combination you can afford. Suspension is expensive, although if you look for a fork and shock that are upgradeable, you can save on the upfront purchase price that way. For example a Yari fork can be upgraded to make it the same as a Lyrik, but some of RockShox' cheaper forks you can't upgrade. Then look at frame geometry, sizing is going to be key for you. Nothing else on a bike matters much because it's all upgradeable in the future as budget allows. For example a Trek Rail 7 is a considerably cheaper bike than the Rail 9, but still a good platform that can be upgraded over time.

Thanks for the info on the forks, I knew some could be upgraded but after looking about yesterday I think I'd have to increase my spending again up front.
My thinking before I read your post was when upgrading I was going to change what ever fork and shock I had on my bike over to the missus bike.

She picked her bike on colour ? I tried to advise her but she was not listening? it's only 120 travel, she's mainly going to be using for commuting to work most days she says, so my thinking is when she feels ready for an upgrade it would be me getting the new shiney parts?

If you're considering an Orbea Wild you can order it on line and do the custom colours thing, and get it delivered to a local dealer of your choice this was was my plan till they sold them all ?

It' the local dealer bit with me as well as I do see Orbea's kicking about but I think I'm pushing my luck getting a second bike online.
Since joining this forum I've discovered a lbs that seem happy enough to work on bikes they've not sold, so now my thinking is maybe just get a Stereo from this place and hopefully if any probs with her bike they'll get her back on the road.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles