Hi all. Bosch on a crafty rattle

Begazzz

Apr 19, 2022
Uk
Hi all. I’ve recently got a mondraker crafty r and have a very loud rattle. Loud to me anyway. I see the sams bikes vid with the carbon one and he said it didn’t rattle. Robs new vid on the cube does rattle. I get that some may rattle more than others because of the ‘acoustics’ of the bike but wondered how many can say their Bosch rattles regardless of bike brand. Im begrudgingly ok if it’s the motor but I defo don’t want the battery rattling. it’ll be a bit more involved for me to stop that as it’s a fixed battery unless I drop the motor out. Thoughts welcome. Pic just for fun at the valley of rocks in Devon.

E6B3945C-C14F-46DA-A5BC-DDDE04672AF2.jpeg

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
A lot of things can cause rattling on the bike - under what conditions does it present the issue?
The well known EMTB motor rattles are generally only present if you are bombing down chunk above the limiter. If its happening at lower speeds it could likely be something else.

I recently had a rattle that was caused by the tyre levers hitting the C02 canister in my tool roll that was located within my downtube storage....

Begazzz

Apr 19, 2022
Uk
A lot of things can cause rattling on the bike - under what conditions does it present the issue?
The well known EMTB motor rattles are generally only present if you are bombing down chunk above the limiter. If its happening at lower speeds it could likely be something else.

I recently had a rattle that was caused by the tyre levers hitting the C02 canister in my tool roll that was located within my downtube storage....
hi. It’s pretty much present on all down hill action and most of that locally is bombing down rocky or rough trails but still present in a few smother gravel trails. Everything is pretty well tied up (cables etc) and no accessories. Even changed out my OE XT brake pads as they are rattlers. Might go up the LBS and ask how hard it is to remove the motor and have a look about. Can’t be hard for anyone with half a brain.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Every single Bosch bike rattles to some extent. Some people simply don’t notice, some are more susceptible to it than others.
It’s mainly there on chunk and rocky terrain. But I can notice it on every Bosch bike I test (loads of them now!)

nice bike btw!

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
They all do that, sir...

I' m on my second Bosch Gen4 bike, the first one didn't really rattle, this one does. I'm told It's backlash in the gears & just how they are. If it sounds like below then it's what it is, if not then you can look at your battery mounting brackets. The upper one usually adjusts & can be moved a little to tighten up the battery in the frame.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Every single Bosch bike rattles to some extent. Some people simply don’t notice, some are more susceptible to it than others.
It’s mainly there on chunk and rocky terrain. But I can notice it on every Bosch bike I test (loads of them now!)

nice bike btw!

My Rail 5 Bosch motor is lovely and quiet ... probably because I have damaged hearing from racing motorbikes. :giggle:

May 29, 2018
california
So....is this determined to just be 'the way it is'? That video @RustyMTB posted, I have that too, but does it cause a CLUNK on any chatter bumps. I have had a crafty with bosch for 3 years, it's my favorite bike but I am so over that damn clunk rattle.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
All I can tell you is I have nearly 1700 miles on the motor in the video now & it still only gives that slight backlash in the gears. It's possible yours has something else going on but I guess you'd have to open it up to find out what.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles