Hi AllšŸ‘šŸ»

Mikerhon2022

Mar 1, 2022
North Wales
Hi everyone,

Iā€™m new to the site and keen to get involved as Iā€™ve just bought a Cube Stereo 140 with a 750kw battery. Its my first ebike which Iā€™ve wanted for a while now but it hasnā€™t been a great start. Chain broke within 40 miles which I suppose was my fault; the rear disc has warped following a long down hill which was a great surprise and the bottom end of the gears are slipping.

Oh well, I guess this is the cost of owning an ebike.

mike

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
That is indeed more than a bit unlucky ..
I had a similar start with regard to the chain and I guess that because we have an assist its easy to fall into the trap of thinking the motor will take the strain ..
I think it was Gary on here ( but I could well be wrong ) who wrote that when climbing use a gear less than you think you need to prolong the life of the chain & cassette by putting less stress on it due to the fact that you are shifting a bike which in some cases is twice the weight of a normal mtb..
I'm now into 2000+ miles on the original chain & cassette & still going strong ( famous last words ) ..šŸ˜
Hope the rest of your " journey " is trouble free ..
Welcome .šŸ‘

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi everyone,

Iā€™m new to the site and keen to get involved as Iā€™ve just bought a Cube Stereo 140 with a 750kw battery. Its my first ebike which Iā€™ve wanted for a while now but it hasnā€™t been a great start. Chain broke within 40 miles which I suppose was my fault; the rear disc has warped following a long down hill which was a great surprise and the bottom end of the gears are slipping.

Oh well, I guess this is the cost of owning an ebike.

mike
not unusual for gear indexing to need re- adjusting after a while on a new bike. That is probably your problem with gear slipping.....unless you have badly abused the cassette!!
As mentioned a bove you need to keep reminding yourself, that you, together with the motor, are probably putting at least twice...sometimes more....the amount of stress through the drivetrain as on an anlogue bike. Keep up good cadence which means using the lower gears, and back off almost completely when changing gear. If you run out of power on an incline, change to a higher power mode rather than risk changing gear.
My experience has been a chain is good for c 500 miles and a cassette ( steel) good for 2 chains...possibly 3.

Re your disc I find it hard to believe you could warp it due to heat in the current UK temperatures unless you were dragging the brake for a long time. EMTBs are heavy so if you need to cut speed, brake hard and then let it roll. On a downhill the rear brake is far less effective than the front so maybe you are expecting too much from the rear brake.

So it sounds like Bike 3 You 0 at the moment! Time to even up!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles