Help needed with Rise m20 Brake/shifter options

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I'm a new m20 owner. The bike is fantastic, but I need to replace the stock 6100 shimano calipers. The 2-piston setup isn't doing it for me.

I'm very pleased with the Shimano integrated shifter/brake/dropper post setup and would prefer to keep that configuration.

With that in mind, it seems the easiest thing to do is keep the shifter/brake assembly and replace the 6100 calipers with the 4 piston SLX 7120 caliper which, in theory, should perform similarly to the Saint setups on my other bikes. If I do this, the brake hose will need replacing, as the 6100 caliper is a direct olive-type fitting whereas the 7120 requires a banjo fitting. I have a set of 7120 calipers handy, so that part is set.

I have Saints that I could pull off another bike, but I don't think Saint levers are compatible with the integrated shifter/dropper setup of the SLX, correct? And if I do this, i'll still need to figure out how to feed the brake hose through the frame. Internal routing is pretty, but such a PITA !

With that in mind
- how difficult is it to feed through a new brake hose? Does this require dropping the battery or the motor? Could I avoid dropping battery/motor and connecting the two lines with the SRAM barbed hose connector thingamajigy and simply use the old hose to pull through the new hose?

-how hard is it to remove battery/motor? I have a YT Decoy whose battery is simple to remove. Looking at the Orbea, the process seems more complex although I really haven't had time to digest it fully and look at schematics.

- any other thoughts/options?

Thanks!

beholdtheflesh

Jun 6, 2022
Denver, CO, US
In your situation I would get the M6120 (Deore) or M520 (same thing, different branding) calipers which can use your existing hoses and levers

As far as I can tell, the performance would be about the same as the SLX

Sell the SLX and get the Deore as just a caliper...last I checked, one of my local bike shops has the 520 caliper for $65...can't really beat that.

Another option is - I think they might make an adapter that you can attach the existing hose to a banjo caliper, but I'm not super familiar with that.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles