Hello from Brisbane Australia

Monkeywrench

May 13, 2020
Brisbane
Hi everyone, thank you for having me. Been smashing this emtb thing for ages, 2 days now. Just WOW.

A little history about me. Always cycled in some way. MTB for probably 10 years off and on. Got back into it 4 years ago and bought a Trek Remedy. All that travel got me well and truely hooked, before a work injury to my wrist kept me off it for 18 months. Shattered radius and then an ulna shortening and bone graft. Then after about 6 months of glorious bush bashing, another different career caused injury, Shattered the top of my left Tibia. 2 plates, lots of screws, cartilage damage etc, 6 months off work. Been a tough road of recovery but commuter cycling has had a massive effect on my improvement. Never thought i'd be able to MTB again though. But went out only about 6 weeks ago for a very gentle ride with a beginner MTB workmate and, Hallelujah, I could do it. Life changing moment for me. Within 6 weeks I am back to riding as well as ever, except for my fitness and my constant knee pain/niggles of course. By the way, I'm a short assed 54 year old who is about 30kgs overweight. I'm just an average rider. Won't do gap jumps. but i have a good time.

So was all booked for a nice little french cycling holiday along the canals of southern France until this horrible virus hit. (would have been flying out next Wednesday)

So i've been glancing at EMTB's with a thought that they will get me up them damn hills a little easier so I can enjoys the down hill bits. Got a little money set aside for said holiday and thought, stuff it, why not.

So I've ended up with a Giant Reign E-1 pro. It's Red and orange and rather fetching me thinks.

So, I work as a bicycle Postie, on a type of e-bike. So i peddle a few hours everyday. It's a little tiring but not too bad. My knee copes ok now. So i picked up my new beast on tuesday arvo, but was just too tired to ride it more than a quick 5 minute ride outside the LBS. But yesterday i was ready to go.

I thought it was all about getting me up the hill so I could ride with a bit more energy going down. How wrong was I. These things are ridiculous. I have never had so much fun in my life. I have always thought snow skiing was the best. not any more. How can riding up hill be so much fun. How can i ride for 90 mins with the only break, to chat to another bloke on a EMTB. I had zero knee pain. Being a fat bastard, not a problem. However, after getting home, my legs did start to seize a little, they had a great workout. Work was a bit tougher today, but guess what. went out for quick 1 hour ride after work. Is it wrong for a fat old man to be giggling like a school girl? This is the best toy I have ever owned.

Look forward to reading everyone else adventures.

Cheers

Jeff

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Welcome Jeff, there are a few Aussies up your way on here. Fun times ahead on your new Reign, solid bike.
These things are the most fun you can have while exercising, between my bike and a stint on Keto I managed to loose most of my weight from my forties.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Hey Jeff, I am similar age - a north-wester so I piddle around Bunya and Samford on my Cube. Had mine 5 weeks and not seen another emtb - during the weekdays anyway.
I have a HT tho so they are probably avoiding me :)

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Hey Jeff, I am similar age - a north-wester so I piddle around Bunya and Samford on my Cube. Had mine 5 weeks and not seen another emtb - during the weekdays anyway.
I have a HT tho so they are probably avoiding me :)

Two days ago I saw a guy on a cube hard tail up bunya on the Wayne's world track around 3-4pm it hard the partial external battery model. First emtb hard tail I'd seen up there. Wouldn't have been you by chance

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Two days ago I saw a guy on a cube hard tail up bunya on the Wayne's world track around 3-4pm it hard the partial external battery model. First emtb hard tail I'd seen up there. Wouldn't have been you by chance
Not me - I was Samford early morning that day - I have the 2019 Reaction Hybrid Eagle, enclosed 500 battery.
Wow - must be another one.

Cheers
Po

Reactions: iXi

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Congrats on the new bike, good choice! I am on the south side of Brisbane and regular for Daisy, Bayview etc.

Ebikes are great, even more fun on a group ride :)

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Jeff, When you bought your Reign E+ did you consider the Trance E+ and if so why did you choose the Reign E+ ? Am looking at those two ebikes myself and am torn between the two in making a choice. I know the Reign is way more bike than I need but considering the assistance from the motor my feeling is "why not" since it will be more forgiving and open up opportunities I may not normally make.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Welcome Jeff, great story and well written and had to laugh out loud, no really I did, when I read your last paragraph. I'm in my late 50's, had mine for about 12 months now and ride with a bunch of great mtb'ers up in the Glasshouse Mts, some of them Eebers and the rest just fit people on normal bikes. Welcome to come up and explore with us if your wanting to travel a bit and try some new trails

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Welcome Jeff, great story and well written and had to laugh out loud, no really I did, when I read your last paragraph. I'm in my late 50's, had mine for about 12 months now and ride with a bunch of great mtb'ers up in the Glasshouse Mts, some of them Eebers and the rest just fit people on normal bikes. Welcome to come up and explore with us if your wanting to travel a bit and try some new trails
Speaking of which i need to come for another visit!

Statman

Jan 13, 2020
Brisbane
Hi Jeff,
From Brissie and new to this forum too. Lucky I bought my bike just before this Rona thing started otherwise my wife would have vetoed it for sure. Out of work till July so making the most of this virus thing and riding heaps - around 1400KM since late Feb.
Like you said - best fun around. All the fun of going down without the pain of going up!

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hi Jeff, When you bought your Reign E+ did you consider the Trance E+ and if so why did you choose the Reign E+ ? Am looking at those two ebikes myself and am torn between the two in making a choice. I know the Reign is way more bike than I need but considering the assistance from the motor my feeling is "why not" since it will be more forgiving and open up opportunities I may not normally make.

I've been looking at ebikes for the Brissy area and reckon a Reign is overkill for the trails available here. Trance would be my choice. $6k gets you the Trance E+1 and the Reign E+2 was available for $5.4k a couple of weeks ago so you should be able to get it for that now.

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
Great back story Jeff could inspire others.
56 yr old women here, buggered back form injury and stupid genetics (thanks mum).
Best things ever these EMTB's and I'm greedy as I've got 2.
Welcome to the forum.

Monkeywrench

May 13, 2020
Brisbane

Hi Jeff, When you bought your Reign E+ did you consider the Trance E+ and if so why did you choose the Reign E+ ? Am looking at those two ebikes myself and am torn between the two in making a choice. I know the Reign is way more bike than I need but considering the assistance from the motor my feeling is "why not" since it will be more forgiving and

Hi aja07,

The original reason was i wanted at least 150mm travel. The Reign has more but I figure having the assistance will make up for any worries about pedal induced bouncing/inefficiancy.

I got a fantastic deal for the E-1, so it won over all the other brands i looked at due to the level of spec (for the dollars spent). Plus i just love the colour scheme. I've already added orange fox decals to the forks and orange grips. i also put on red pedals. Next will be a higher riser bar (orange of course). I liked the Trek and the Focus, but spec won out. I was worried about chain stay length and the yamaha motor after reading heaps of reviews, but after a very brief test ride, i loved the motor feel. As far as chain stay length, i'm just not that good a rider to notice if its a problem. I don't flick the back around. It corners plenty fast enough for me. I love the extra travel. Already hit slightly bigger jumps than I've dared on my Trek remedy. Side note, the bigger tires and maybe the weight, have lots more corner grip than my Remedy.

Good luck, look forward to seeing what you get.

Monkeywrench

May 13, 2020
Brisbane
Hi Jeff,
From Brissie and new to this forum too. Lucky I bought my bike just before this Rona thing started otherwise my wife would have vetoed it for sure. Out of work till July so making the most of this virus thing and riding heaps - around 1400KM since late Feb.
Like you said - best fun around. All the fun of going down without the pain of going up!

I've got 4 weeks holiday from today, so I'm planning to do a heap of exploring.

Monkeywrench

May 13, 2020
Brisbane
Hi Jeff,

I can't believe how much fun going up is. I've had so many pedal strikes on my 2 rides cause i just want to keep accelerating around the berms lol.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles