Heckler MX Questions????

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am considering a Heckler MX GX AXS. Santa Cruz has some sales on their website right now and I am finding a few bikes in stock at various suppliers. On their website, they have a GX AXS in Dark Matte Pewter. This bike says it comes with the GX AXS Transmission (T-Type) and it has the EP8-01. If I select the Avocado Green GXS AXS, it comes with the GX XAS non T-Type drivetrain and it says it is the EP8. Does this mean the Matte Dark Pewter is a 2024 and the Avocado Green is a 2023? Is there any other way to tell a difference?

Also, I have read there were issues with the battery and charge port cover on earlier bikes. Is there still an issue with poor fitment on the battery/cover? Any issues with water and dirt ingress? Are there still issues with the battery falling out? Have they resolved any issues with the charge port cover?

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
correct, pewter is the latest colour so will have t type vs gx axs on the avocado,
I've got a current red and i had an avocado and the battery cover fitment is shit on both compared to a friends bullet.
however,dont let that put you off what is a brilliant bike.

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
charge port cover hasn't changed so will be the same on any colour.
it seems a bit sketchy but I've never had a problem with the two i own but if the weather is wet here in the uk i put a small piece of tape over it to be sure it doesn't come lose.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I appreciate the feedback. I’d love to hear more feedback if anyone has any. I had a chance to test ride the bike and really like the geometry and way it rides. The Darfon battery interface issues I’ve read about still have me a little concerned. I know Santa Cruz is about to release a new model, but also know that will come at a premium. So many choices out there.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I have a pretty late build of the older style in GX AXS and the battery cover falling off is not an issue. It doesn't have tight closure, but it doesn't rattle or fall off. I bought my bike just before the new transmission types came out.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I have a pretty late build of the older style in GX AXS and the battery cover falling off is not an issue. It doesn't have tight closure, but it doesn't rattle or fall off. I bought my bike just before the new transmission types came out.
I appreciate the feedback. How have you liked the bike so far?

Last edited:

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
I appreciate the feedback. I’d love to hear more feedback if anyone has any. I had a chance to test ride the bike and really like the geometry and way it rides. The Darfon battery interface issues I’ve read about still have me a little concerned. I know Santa Cruz is about to release a new model, but also know that will come at a premium. So many choices out there.
If a new ebike is coming from s/c i would imagine its a new bullit,not a heckler.

Aug 2, 2021
Western Colorado
I am considering a Heckler MX GX AXS. Santa Cruz has some sales on their website right now and I am finding a few bikes in stock at various suppliers. On their website, they have a GX AXS in Dark Matte Pewter. This bike says it comes with the GX AXS Transmission (T-Type) and it has the EP8-01. If I select the Avocado Green GXS AXS, it comes with the GX XAS non T-Type drivetrain and it says it is the EP8. Does this mean the Matte Dark Pewter is a 2024 and the Avocado Green is a 2023? Is there any other way to tell a difference?

Also, I have read there were issues with the battery and charge port cover on earlier bikes. Is there still an issue with poor fitment on the battery/cover? Any issues with water and dirt ingress? Are there still issues with the battery falling out? Have they resolved any issues with the charge port cover?

The two colors for 2024 are Matte Pewter and Gloss Heirloom Red.
I chose MX wheels and opted for the Red as the Matte finish shows dust more easily.
I have over 800 miles on my 2024 with zero issues.
I did take advice, given somewhere on this forum, about using some small "D" shaped weatherstrip around the battery cavity which stopped the battery rattle.
I am just about to install the new EP801 firmwear also.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon

The charging port cover on the 2024s is new and improved. It's the new version 2 cover and it is very easy to open and close, most likely the best on the market. Also use a silver sharpie and put a dot on the top of the charging cable for proper indexing when plugging it in..

bmxmarty

Subscriber
Apr 4, 2024
NorCal

The janky battery fit (at least after they fixed the latch that was letting them fall out) is primarily a dust/dirt/moisture issue for me. I've got a few threads on here talking about the problems, but a constantly filthy headset that would make noise was the second most annoying - the connectivity issue between battery and bike was by far the most annoying. I addressed the battery connection issue by coating the contacts with dielectric grease, and then sealed it off by sealing the battery opening, and then sealing off the headset gap in a quick and hooptie manner, but it's worked remarkably well. My charge port cover hasn't been an issue yet, but I've got lots of duct tape if need be. There's also somebody on this site selling 3D printed replacement covers/plugs. Like @leroy said, the bike is brilliant, and I'm quite happy with it after the initial problems got resolved. Let us know what you end up buying. Cheers!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The janky battery fit (at least after they fixed the latch that was letting them fall out) is primarily a dust/dirt/moisture issue for me. I've got a few threads on here talking about the problems, but a constantly filthy headset that would make noise was the second most annoying - the connectivity issue between battery and bike was by far the most annoying. I addressed the battery connection issue by coating the contacts with dielectric grease, and then sealed it off by sealing the battery opening, and then sealing off the headset gap in a quick and hooptie manner, but it's worked remarkably well. My charge port cover hasn't been an issue yet, but I've got lots of duct tape if need be. There's also somebody on this site selling 3D printed replacement covers/plugs. Like @leroy said, the bike is brilliant, and I'm quite happy with it after the initial problems got resolved. Let us know what you end up buying. Cheers!
I ended up getting an Orbea Wild M11 AXS for $7,100 US dollars, including tax and shipping to my door. I couldn’t pass up on it. I loved the way the Heckler MX rode when I tested it. I am betting Santa Cruz is about to introduce an all new Heckler. I am anxious to see what they introduce a their bikes are really good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles