Hard tail vs Full suspension EMTB?

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway

And here is a GMBN video saying a hardtail is better for climbing. (At 1:00) Does that mean Neil is wrong?

I'm sorry knut but that last line of your reply, “Is that him just arrogant or does that mean you're wrong?”, how can he be wrong as he is describing his experiences? Is this really the way you have a discussion?

We're not talking about personal preference and experience. We're talking about characteristics of HT vs FS. Him not experiencing the advantages of a FS doesn't prove the advantages aren't real. So someone is wrong here. And when he's implying it's arrogant to say one design is better than another then I'm sure he can handle that response. Also, a video showing a HT going faster up a hill than a FS doesn't affect my statement about comfort and traction.

Whether a design is better for you or not depends on things like the rider and riding conditions. I've never said FS is better for everything though. A good FS bike can be better uphill because of better traction. That's what Neil is saying in the video. He's also talking about less fatigue over longer rides and better comfort. Those were my two claims in my first post and I can't see that they're false.

Reactions: Dax

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Here's another video disproving the statement that FS only has an advantage going downhill. And no, I'm not trying to say that FS is better for everything, but this video proves that there are situations where an FS can be better going up hill.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The motor throws in a different dynamic to the argument, you get a real traction benefit from an FS EMTB, but a real weight saving (some M size hardtail EMTBS are sub 18kg) on the HT EMTB. If you are riding an 15kg HT Focus Raven2 vs a 24KG Kenevo i would be very surprised if the HT wasn't faster.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
This video shows ebikes going uphill and how the HT is losing traction. This is on snow, but the same thing can happen on steep and loose during summer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles