Happy new year from Marin county

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
Hey my name is Nick and I live in Bolinas in Marin county, CA. I got my first emtb, a used 2018 Moustache Samedi 27 Trail 8 in 2019. In November 2021 I sold that bike to a friend and bought a new 2022 Levo expert. I love the bike but I’m worried I got the wrong size. Part of the reason I joined this site is to ask people about sizing. I mostly ride trails in west Marin. I hate driving a car to go ride, and with an emtb I can go on 30 mile 5000 foot rides. I love my new 700wh battery, now I have very little range anxiety, although I did kill it on one of my first rides and had to do a few miles with a dead battery. I used to do bigger rides in tour with my 500wh Bosch bike. I like to do as much bike wrenching as I can and love buying tools and learning how to do things.

GlynRS2

Jan 2, 2022
West Sussex
Hey my name is Nick and I live in Bolinas in Marin county, CA. I got my first emtb, a used 2018 Moustache Samedi 27 Trail 8 in 2019. In November 2021 I sold that bike to a friend and bought a new 2022 Levo expert. I love the bike but I’m worried I got the wrong size. Part of the reason I joined this site is to ask people about sizing. I mostly ride trails in west Marin. I hate driving a car to go ride, and with an emtb I can go on 30 mile 5000 foot rides. I love my new 700wh battery, now I have very little range anxiety, although I did kill it on one of my first rides and had to do a few miles with a dead battery. I used to do bigger rides in tour with my 500wh Bosch bike. I like to do as much bike wrenching as I can and love buying tools and learning how to do things.
What size is your bike and what size are you?

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
What size is your bike and what size are you?
I posted a thread about it in the specialized forum. I am 5’6 with a 30” inseam. I think I have a long torso and short legs. I have about a 5’8 wingspan. I ride an S3 Levo. I bought it based on the 450 reach number, which is the reach most bikes my size have. According to the charts I’m between sizes and could size up or down. I sized up, and now I’m concerned I should have sized down

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
And why are you uncertain about the size? Oh, and for those who don’t know your area, what type of trails do ride and what are your ambitions?
I ride single track in west Marin in the Bay Area, California. A lot of what I would call XC, but there is some good downhill with drops and jumps. Some days I want to go on a long ride, others I want to do some jumps and berms in the redwoods. Sometimes I’ll go to Santa Cruz, or closer places like Tamarancho near Fairfax and China camp in San Rafael

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
And why are you uncertain about the size? Oh, and for those who don’t know your area, what type of trails do ride and what are your ambitions?
Mate, you need to learn some MTB history. Look up Marin County, Gary Fisher, Repack. These are good starting points.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Nick, I think you've misquoted there buddy. 😂 It's easily done & welcome along, looking forward to your tales of shredding.

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
Nick, I think you've misquoted there buddy. 😂 It's easily done & welcome along, looking forward to your tales of shredding.
Rusty, I’m sorry, I totally misunderstood your response! I thought you were telling me I needed to learn about mtb history and I got all indignant! Now I realize you were telling coolcmsc. So sorry! Thank you for your grace and humor

GlynRS2

Jan 2, 2022
West Sussex
I posted a thread about it in the specialized forum. I am 5’6 with a 30” inseam. I think I have a long torso and short legs. I have about a 5’8 wingspan. I ride an S3 Levo. I bought it based on the 450 reach number, which is the reach most bikes my size have. According to the charts I’m between sizes and could size up or down. I sized up, and now I’m concerned I should have sized down
I am in a similar sizing dilemma. At a fraction under 6 foot I fit either a S4 or S5 according to size charts. When I got my Stumpjumper Evo I went for the S4 that seems to be a perfect fit for a trail bike and is still slack and long. However, I have XL for my Epic Evo, which would be S5 equivalent; I find for down country XC riding I like a bigger more stable frame

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Mate, you need to learn some MTB history. Look up Marin County, Gary Fisher, Repack. These are good starting points.
Oh, I know. About both. A lot. But not everybody does. If you knew - and I realise you do - then you’d also realise there’s an amazing range and I was wondering if there was a specific type of riding seeing as just about everything’s available.
So your post’s a bit, a bit… well, confusing.
The OP got it.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Rusty, I’m sorry, I totally misunderstood your response! I thought you were telling me I needed to learn about mtb history and I got all indignant! Now I realize you were telling coolcmsc. So sorry! Thank you for your grace and humor
I’m not indignant - should I be?

Pacific Ryder

May 9, 2020
Northern California
Welcome Nick. I am just a few ridges North of you near Lucas Valley. I also ride a lot in your area, Lagunitas, Tamarancho, Big Rock Ridge, China Camp, etc.....tons of good stuff in our area. I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I ride a large (2020 Levo Comp). I have shortened the cockpit via stem and saddle. You will get a lot of opinions on sizing up or down.......I went up and the bike feels a little big.....sizing down allows you to ride more aggressively but you can sometmes feel "cramped" on long climbs. (again just my opinion).

Happy New Year from Big Rock Ridge:

E2F8FC8F-7BC0-41B8-97E6-1CAFAD9659D1.jpeg

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
Thank you! Beautiful picture!
I love riding Lagunitas, and mostly ride over Bolinas ridge to get there. Never ridden big rock ridge but I hope to ride Lucas valley and Novato areas sometime. I just haven’t managed to get up there. A friend just told me about Ponti ridge. Have you been there?
I’m feeling more and more like I should sell my bike and get an s2, but I’m not looking forward to that process.
Not too many long climbs around here for me to feel cramped on! I feel like my longest uphills are about 2 miles. Coming from bmx bikes I am used to small bikes…

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles