Good afternoon, I have a Haibike sduro RC with creaking noise . Any diagnose here ( please watch video)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would suspect a damaged freehub..........certainly worth investigating. Not sure what drivetrain/hubs you have but usually it means putting the bike on a stand, removing the rear wheel.
Now check if the cassette moves freely anticlockwise ( with the usual freewheel clicking sound as the pawls slide over the hub ratchet wheel.) and locks firmly if you rotate it clockwise. Note...I could not hear any freewheel sound when you stopped pedalling!
Check if the cassette has any sideways play ( ie you can rock it slightly). If so it suggests a bearing problem either in the freehub or hub axle. That would then mean removing the cassette and freehub for examination.

Another possibility is a loose crank.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
So hears a list of things to try:
motor bolts
chain ring bolts
headset bearings/stem
wheel bolts/QR
saddle and post
pedals
etc etc

all of these can cause a creak like that. Systematically go through all of the them and eliminate them one by one, remove, grease and replace. Don’t over tighten bolts as then can cause a creak. Good luck.

Kris52

Dec 22, 2023
Norway
I would suspect a damaged freehub..........certainly worth investigating. Not sure what drivetrain/hubs you have but usually it means putting the bike on a stand, removing the rear wheel.
Now check if the cassette moves freely anticlockwise ( with the usual freewheel clicking sound as the pawls slide over the hub ratchet wheel.) and locks firmly if you rotate it clockwise. Note...I could not hear any freewheel sound when you stopped pedalling!
Check if the cassette has any sideways play ( ie you can rock it slightly). If so it suggests a bearing problem either in the freehub or hub axle. That would then mean removing the cassette and freehub for examination.

Another possibility is a loose crank.
Oh, thank you for your valuable sugestions, will check all :)

Kris52

Dec 22, 2023
Norway
motor bolts
chain ring bolts
headset bearings/stem
wheel bolts/QR
saddle and post
pedals
etc etc

all of these can cause a creak like that. Systematically go through all of the them and eliminate them one by one, remove, grease and replace. Don’t over tighten bolts as then can cause a creak. Good luck.
Thank you, will try :)

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Spokes, especially where they cross over each other can make that noise. Try a dab of grease at each crossing between the spokes contact points.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Spokes, especially where they cross over each other can make that noise. Try a dab of grease at each crossing between the spokes contact points.
Yes but according to the video the noise only occurs when pressure is applied to the cranks so most likely some part of the drivetrain is the issue. Other than cranks and freehub drivetrain components it could be motor bolts as mentioned above.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Yes and applying pressure to the cranks loads the wheels....not saying that is the cause but it happens. And I should add, the OP should check the spokes for correct tension on both wheels.

Last edited:

Kris52

Dec 22, 2023
Norway
Yes and applying pressure to the cranks loads the wheels....not saying that is the cause but it happens. And I should add, the OP should check the spokes for correct tension on both wheels.
When I stopped the bike, I applied both brakes and pushed the pedals down. Then I also clearly hear a knocking sound. The bike is in Spain so it will take some time to check all suggestions. I am also afraid that there may be bearing in the bottom bracket .I feel minimal movement when I try to push while holding both pedals.J have fsa Yamaha spider , shimano xt, shimano CSHG50 kasett, FSA chain rings 48 and 34 teeth.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
I've edited this post to save wasting time, what year is your bike and do you have a picture of it? The only thing I get on Google are from around 2015 and look like shopping / grocery getter ebikes?

Last edited:

Kris52

Dec 22, 2023
Norway
Oh, thank you for your valuable sugestions, will check all :)
This is my ebike, preowned 2016, 8500 km. Best ever Haibike sduro full RC . There was a missing chainring bolt( now in place).

haibike3.jpg Haibike2.jpg Haibike 2016.jpg Haibike Sduro Full RC 2016.jpg

Kris52

Dec 22, 2023
Norway
motor bolts
chain ring bolts
headset bearings/stem
wheel bolts/QR
saddle and post
pedals
etc etc

Yes, thank you again :).
The first thing on your list was motor bolts..and that was it. I used an allen key and tightened it . Unfortunately, I don't have a torque wrench and don't know if I got 22 nm or more. I didn't use much force. It was simply quiet afterwards, no squeaking! Perhaps I should unscrew the 3 bolts and use locktite or grease? I spayed some wd40 in the crank area. It's completely quiet now.

Kris52

Dec 22, 2023
Norway
Yes but according to the video the noise only occurs when pressure is applied to the cranks so most likely some part of the drivetrain is the issue. Other than cranks and freehub drivetrain components it could be motor bolts as mentioned above.
Yes, it was motor bolts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles