Going Back to 10 speed set up on my Ebike.

Mtbkski

Feb 1, 2020
Beaverdale, PA
Couple of us were talking. With the Ebike, there really isn't the need for all the gears that a normal bike has. Heck most of you probably don't even use all the gears you have. We have the "assist" to help us up the tougher stuff. So, we thought about just going back to a 10 speed set up on our bikes instead of 11 or 12 speeds. By going back to a 10 speed you 1) Get a much thicker and stronger chain. 2) Don't have to worry about shifting as often. But you can still can put big enough gears to help you on the really steep cllimbs 3) Can buy components much cheaper. Shifting may not be "as smooth" as on a 12 speed. But it worked great for many years when 11 and 12 speeds didn't exist. The savings on parts alone would be dramatic since you can buy 10 speed stuff WAY CHEAPER than the EAGLE stuff on the market now. Saving you a ton of money in the long run. What are your thoughts on this?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Out of curiosity, how have you set up your 10spd?
Have you simply purchased a 10spd shifter, chain and cassette or did you buy a new derailleur as well?

I did run my Gen One Levo with a 10spd SLX drivetrain but I've now gone to an 11spd Deore XT as I got bored swapping cassettes between different rear wheels.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You have most of that wrong.

10 speed chains do have thicker link plates. But that's not how most chains fail.

If you choose your gearing wisely you'll still be changing gear just as often with a smaller range 10speed cassette.

Components are FAR cheaper.. Especially cassettes. And 10 speed also has a far greater wear rate and way better durability. (Deore/SLX, Zee, Saint)

a well set up 10speed system also shifts far more cleanly, quickly and precisely than ANY 12speed drivetrain and requires LESS overall maintenance.

Been running 10speed Shimano on my Ebikes for 3 years. Ie. somewhere north of *17000 miles

*Scottish miles not 'mercan

Last edited:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
After reading some of Gary's normally rubbish posts, he got me thinking aboth the 10spd solution.
I've quite strong legs and good flow, so I actually never use the largest sprockers anyway.

So now I'm on 11-36 10spd casette end 36T front....and I still don't use the largest sprockets :)
Very cheap and actually in stores.
Lasts much longer and with good shifting performance.

Recommended.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I run a 10sp on mine, mainly for the cost and simplicity. If I know I'm going somewhere where the terrain is steeper than usual, I just put a smaller chairing on. Not ideal for everyone, but its a reasonable compromise in my opinion.

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
I’ve got 12 speed XT 10-45 on my commuter ebike with a 40t on the front, I really don’t need the gears at each end so will be buying 10 speed Deore Linkglide with the 11-43 cassette when it’s available

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I may have to as I'm not going to be able to eke out much more life from my 12 speed drive chain waiting for new stock!

Mtbkski

Feb 1, 2020
Beaverdale, PA
My thoughts are that some of us ride steeper hills that require a bigger cog, and we ride faster speeds where we need the smallest cog.
You can still have that "big cog" and "small cog". That is what is neat about it. You can get a 10 speed in a 11x46 set up. If you need more than that on an Ebike. You are riding some nasty steep and long stuff.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Big jumps between gears on a wide ratio cassette is pretty a dumb idea on a bike with a motor.
It should be obvious. But you're going to spend a lot more time in the smaller cassette sprockets with a motor. So having smaller jumps at that end is not only sensible from a riding perspective but will actually increase cassette life.

Last edited:

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
when I was shopping for an e-bike last year, I was telling myself that 12 speed was just un necessary and I'd convert to 8 speed with some mega tight ratio cassette because with the motor assist it'd still be easy...
then in reality when i got the bike (shimano 12 speed 11-51), I often use my lowest gear. All the time, any steep tech stuff I just like the high cadence steady spin and almost zero effort. I did try and ween myself off the super low cogs but it never happens. It's a bit embarrassing really but I'll just to accept I'm not as strong as I was and I like plodding up hills with full assist and not having to strain my joints

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles