Giant Fathom E+ 29 (2022) Battery + Paint

SDE

Mar 12, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Hey all,

My girlfriend just grabbed this Giant Fathom E+ 29 (2022) from a bikeshop for 4k CAD even, which appeared to be a great deal.

We however, noticed paint chipping and a battery misalignment. Of course, we can return it, but for 4k CAD it still seems like quite a solid deal. Bike is solid otherwise.

Should we be concerned about the paint? Will giant replace the battery casing? And also, has anyone dealt with it being misaligned?

fathom E.jpeg

Cheers

Last edited:

SDE

Mar 12, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Well that makes a diff.
Still though, it seems a little odd that there are paint chips.
Have you looked at the bike and battery in the app?
Hopefully it looks new in there, and not used.
Not yet. To clarify, it was 4000 CAD and has a full warranty. I was told it was new, but its a 2022 model so its probably been in the basement for a while.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada

SDE

Mar 12, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Yup, that's the right one for sure.
Well I'd reserve opinion until I saw the specs in the app.
If the bike shows zero/few kms, and the battery is fresh I could get over the paint...
I'm pretty sure it is. The shop I got it from is the most reputable in the city.

Thanks for the insight though, I'll certainly double check in the AM.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada

offroad

Dec 29, 2021
Wanaka, New Zealand
The battery cover which attaches to the battery is made of black plastic, and as we all know paint on plastic isn't an exact chemical science. The marks are around the curves which is the most common part for flecking. The stupid plastic cover costs a bomb to replace too.

Happy to take that bike off you. We don't get the Fathom 29 down under with the under slung battery. Great fit with my Explore E+ which uses a 625Wh as well...

Qualitydog1

May 16, 2024
USA
Disclosure, disclosure. If they had brought this to your attention and showed you the battery access, it may have been noticed.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I would be concerned that they had a battery warranty issue on another bike over the past few years and swapped out the battery from this bike with another customers bike. The bike may be "New" but the battery may not. The alignment doesn't look bad, my Stance EMTB looks similar, it is just the way the key lock holds the battery (in my opinion for what it that is worth).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles