Giant e+2 not engaging

CarlosV

Apr 17, 2023
Arnhem
I am seeking help with an issue I am facing with my bicycle. I have been using it to commute to work for the past two years without any issues until yesterday. While riding, I heard a loud noise, and suddenly, I was not getting any traction from the back wheel, no matter how much I pedalled. I live in The Netherlands, and it was a cold day, but I have had problems with the battery before due to the cold, and this seems different.

I bought the bike from a dealer in my area, but unfortunately, it only had a two-year warranty, which has now expired. The dealer is giving me a hard time, and I don't want to have to dispose of the bike. I have attached a video to this post to show you what I noticed. Although there is some rust on the chain, I doubt that is the cause of the problem.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone might have to resolve this issue. I have not found many people with the same problem, and I am struggling to identify the cause of the problem. Thank you in advance for your help.

Video > IMG 2274

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Was just about the post the same - free hub has gone. So either a repair of the hub, replace the free hub, or a new rear wheel.

Bit of a shame the dealer is being a pain, this is not a big issue.

(Would it be fair to say your drivetrain needs a little love though? Just some lubrication and wipe down of the chain, and a bit also in the jockey wheels - sounds a bit squeaky)

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Try talking to it in a calm mild manner way , you will see an improvement instantly !

CarlosV

Apr 17, 2023
Arnhem
Hi Carlos. It looks like the freehub in your rear wheel has failed. It shouldn't be a hugely expensive repair, a new rear wheel at worst if the hub isn't easily fixable, but you should probably seek help from a bike repair shop.
You are the GOAT!

I will bring it to my Giant dealer then and try to get them to help me with this. Thank you very much. Will update their thread if it ends up fixing the issue.

CarlosV

Apr 17, 2023
Arnhem
Was just about the post the same - free hub has gone. So either a repair of the hub, replace the free hub, or a new rear wheel.

Bit of a shame the dealer is being a pain, this is not a big issue.

(Would it be fair to say your drivetrain needs a little love though? Just some lubrication and wipe down of the chain, and a bit also in the jockey wheels - sounds a bit squeaky)
Need to get my lube game on. Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you.

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
Happened to my E+2 when I was still running the stock rear wheel, mechanic took freehub apart and degreased the pawls, they reengaged fine after gunk removed. He may have replaced a spring too. Quick and cheap job.

CarlosV

Apr 17, 2023
Arnhem
I will be taking it to a repair shop this Saturday, will update the thread when I know what.

Will also pay for a general maintenance. Weather is getting better, want to ride my bike as much as I can.

----

Now, onto the real deal. My bike is limited at 25km.p / any cool ways to turn that limiter on and off (on demand)?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles