Front or rear mounted Kids seat

Blueblob

Aug 29, 2018
Guildford
I hear you cringing, on your beloved EMTB, it's not for the school run!!
Trying to solve a commuting issue, gotta drop the 1 year old off at nursery enroute to work. It's only half a mile away from home. Would unhook and lock up somewhere then boot it to work.
I have a 2019 Turbo Levo.

Was thinking of a front or rear seat but don't know whether I'm being ridiculous!
Any shared experiences would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
1 is pretty young for a bike seat no?

I used to use one of the cheap bolt on ones on an old hardtail, sitting in front of me so she could see and we could talk. But it wasn't easily removable.

She's now 8 and she jumps up on the Levo, sits on the top tube, hands on inner bars, and rests feet on the bottle cage for the school run.

Blueblob

Aug 29, 2018
Guildford
1 is pretty young for a bike seat no?

I used to use one of the cheap bolt on ones on an old hardtail, sitting in front of me so she could see and we could talk. But it wasn't easily removable.

She's now 8 and she jumps up on the Levo, sits on the top tube, hands on inner bars, and rests feet on the bottle cage for the school run.

I thought 1 was young but researching and they are for 1-4 year olds.
I was looking at the weeride which mounts on the front on a cross member bar that clamps to headtube and seat post.
I have a rear one but don't want to mount to my seatpost and not convinced it will fit on the seat tube.
My poor Levo with less the 300 miles on the clock!!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I have a rear one but don't want to mount to my seatpost and not convinced it will fit on the seat tube.

I think front is much nicer for the kid, they can see where they're going and get a cuddle at the same time. Some car drivers may cut you some slack if they see a kid too, tho most don't give a **** you're still fair game.

Behind you all they see is your back.

PlayDead

Feb 19, 2019
Australia
Ive used a MacRide for all 3 of my kids for adventure riding. Fantasic bit of kit, cant remember the age I started them with it but basically as soon as I was confident that they could maintain some semblance of balance and use their hands on the bars.

Depending on your bike you might need to get the additional spacer kit to clear the downtube with the stirrups.

Blueblob

Aug 29, 2018
Guildford
Ive used a MacRide for all 3 of my kids for adventure riding. Fantasic bit of kit, cant remember the age I started them with it but basically as soon as I was confident that they could maintain some semblance of balance and use their hands on the bars.

Depending on your bike you might need to get the additional spacer kit to clear the downtube with the stirrups.

Sweet just looked at that, looks just like the weeride but from slightly older 2-5

Front seems like the way forward
Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Definitely front.
Mine all rode with me in wee rides from about 18months to 3yr old.
4 is a push unless they're very small for their age.
Weerides mounting system isn't great for all headset standards. There are better options now. Also centrally mounted front seats all work best with a shorter reach more upright riding position.

Farmernz

Jun 18, 2019
Alexandra
We couldn’t find a seat locally that fitted the wide battery tube and would have to import a Mac ride, so opted for a weehoo trailer instead. Our 3 yr old loves it.

C43D4DDC-E77E-4E33-AAC7-4944F862CC83.png

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I've taken my boy out with the we ride safe. First went out when he was 10-11 months. It's ok just ride smooth and don't bump into kerbs or ride rough off road because their head will flop about. The we ride safe has a nasty clamp for the front steerer tube designed for crappy £100 bikes. I modified it with a bracket that goes round the top tube and down tube. I think the best option if you can afford it is a two wheel cargo bike with the load area in front.
I would like something like this with a couple batteries
CUBE Cargo Hybrid 2020 :: £4499.00 :: ELECTRIC BIKES :: Electric Bikes :: Simply The Best Bike Products On The Market Today

Last edited:

Blueblob

Aug 29, 2018
Guildford
Thanks for all the suggestions, I purchased a weeride which as someone suggested has horrible clamp, so it went in my wife's bike. I went with a Thule product And mounts to the steered tube through a mount that replaces the spacer stack. Turns with handlebars. Feels really good, I'd recommend. Let's the little one back a tad too much though and no platform to lay hea

20190928_092823.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles