Frey Dopamine

Cit

Oct 6, 2022
Turin, Piedmont, Italy
945E86A0-D1EE-4E4C-B7FD-E7D7DBD386CE.jpeg

Not much to say. Discoverd yesterday on Fb, presented today at Shangai show. Bafang motor (not elegible for italian regulation), not the best execution (welds) but high pivot (with some linkage). Well, what you think?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's always good to see some new designs being floated about.

It's .... interesting ... The high pivot for instance.

A lot of the welding and tube choices/angles/joints/welds make it look very much like a garage prototype, so not sure what the final bike will be like.

The M560 is 750w, not really compliant as you say with the EU rules, but they could do an M510 version.

48v and 840wh battery is interesting, but basic weight with no pedals is 27kg's which is a bit on the chunky side - though average these days I guess for a large battery emtb with one of the higher powered motors.

Not sure how the swing arm pivot is going to hold up over time as it's just connected to possibly the most stressed area of frame and with no through shaft as the shock is there, plus it's got the bearing and forces of the pulley added to it on the drive side. Though who knows, maybe it's fine.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The saddle won't go very high. (The seat post is very short due to the kinked seat tube).

My standard riding position is with the saddle at the same height as the bars, that saddle won't come close.

Even if a longer seat tube or a dropper was fitted, the drop would be small.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Take my $$.
Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 10.01.55 PM.png

The good the way I see it for my needs:

More modern geometry with a slacker head angle and steeper seat tube and short chain stays.

Aluminum which will keep the cost down and the strength against dingage higher. CF doesn't bend.....

UDH or Universal Derailleur Hanger. This to me is a major step forward that the industry is taking. Not to mention that it will fit the new SRAM e system which is spendy but I would spring for it and still be way under anything else in this class that is availabile.

Comes in all wheel flavors. Make mine 29 please! I think I am over the Mullet but won't know for sure until i go back to bigwheels on both ends. I started riding 29" wheels in 1999 and am familiar with them.

Supposedly Bluetooth w/CAN programability here is what their marketing boils down to:

"We can record information like riding data, motor, display, and battery information, and adjust the motor characteristics according to our own riding habits to obtain a better riding experience."

I had been considering a mid/light bike but let's face it I don't mind the weight and like the POWER!

The maybe not so good:

Not sure about the idler design which only allows about a third of the chainring teeth to be wrapped. I predict that it will be hard on chainrings. But just order a pile of cheap ones on AliEx I guess or buy stainless steel. But on second thought Rocky is getting away with it on their e bikes that have plenty of nm so I might be ok!

The fact that I already have a nice bike.

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Don't get me wrong, i like fresh ideas, BUT as above some of the angles seem a bit off and I thought the point of a high pivot and idler set up was for pedal kick back over the gnar? You wont get that on an Eeb, so why have it?
Its like someone saw the Grim Doughnut idea and thought, that's a good idea and threw an Eeb version together but forgot to update the numbers?

Cit

Oct 6, 2022
Turin, Piedmont, Italy
Not sure about the idler design which only allows about a third of the chainring teeth to be wrapped. I predict that it will be hard on chainrings. But just order a pile of cheap ones on AliEx I guess or buy stainless steel. But on second thought Rocky is getting away with it on their e bikes that have plenty of nm so I might be ok!
But Rocky Mountain use a good old chainguide, not sure if is possible to use on this frame.

I try to have a chat on this bike on an italian forum, impossible to go over these equation: China=shit, no Horst link=shit, welds=shit, aluminium=shit.
To be honest i like the idea but maybe it' s needed some refinement for EU taste.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Upon looking at it further I have to agree that it is close but still far away. 27kg isn't all that good either, my Z1 only weighs 1/2kg more than that.

As far as RM goes their design has different stresses on the idler/drive cog which in their design actually puts less strain on the chainring as most of the power is on the upper cog. But they still use a tensioner behind the chainring to gain more wrap and I'm sure they do it for a good reason.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 8.16.50 AM.png
Had a moment of shiny object fever last night I guess! Just as well as they say they are "sold out" anyway and perhaps their second batch will have some improvements after the early birds get some testing in. At least it appears that they are willing to listen to riders input per their web page. As far as geo goes it is alot easier and cheaper to adjust an alu frame than moulding a new CF one.

Reactions: Cit

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I heard back from one of their sales reps today via email after I had sent a request for more information the other night. I pretty much have abandoned the idea but replied with what my special needs would be re: no drivetrain as I would spec the SRAM T-Type and no wheelset as I get a deal on WTB products and would use their HTZ wheels that are working out really well on my Z1. Awaiting response......but 4000€ is not encouraging.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Initial contact with their sales rep was not encouraging as far as they won't delete build parts because they are "maufacturers" that build on an assembley line....like they couldn't just leave the wheels and drivetrain off when it is boxed. So I just made a request for a medium frame with the 750w motor painted in Khaki and we'll see what they say I guess.

Second option perhaps is to see if Light Carbon has any plans to go to the UDH standard anytime soon, I am really infatuated with the T-Type transmission and am afraid it is a must have for any bike I commit to. I am not getting any younger and I feel I deserve to at least spend my final years in the saddle not swearing at my drivetrain perhaps?

That said the reason that my current bike shifts like shite is that the cable housing is continuous and creates too much friction of the inner cable. I am looking into a way to at least put some stops in the dt of my current frame which would help I think but attaching cable stops to carbon fiber is going to be hard to figure out.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
@Mabman and this one? Hybridizer Announces Its First Bike eMTB Frame, SANN - Pinkbike

I' ve also seen a copycat of a Santacruz but i have no idea if is from a good manufacturer.
Interesting. A few different features, notably the rear dropout structure. I can't really confirm from the photos if it is UDH but as it is such a modular piece it would be easy to make it so over having to refit and entire chainstay. Still not convinced that anti pedal kickback is all that important on an eBike and how well the chainring will perform with not alot of chainwrap.

Looking at their bare bones website I get the feeling that they would be a bit more flexible to work with than Frey in regards to deleting components that I can source.

The "Carbon Fiber" battery that is shown is a new one on me. It also illustrates the biggest difference to the Dopamine in that it is a bottom loader. They make a good point that having that gaping hole in the downtube is structurally suspect. Problem for me is that I prefer 21700 cell batteries and if they are using 18650's in that type of case it may not work well with the larger cells.
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 11.57.35 AM.png

We will see what they have to say. The principles are well educated young people touting "ten years of mtb experience" so hopefully they will get their ball rolling. If they can supply me what I require they will get my $$.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
This is what I received from the sales dept. but the pricing is now up on their website: Highly recommended! Frey's Best Full Suspension eBike 2023 - Powerful Motor & EMTB Capable

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 6.22.48 AM.png

Pretty spendy for an alu bike these days perhaps? Lead time is 2-3 months with 50% down. Won't be in the cards for me because I have different component requirements specifically and they won't play ball dealing any other way than a full build. Oh well on to the Hybridizer?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles