Fox factory 38

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I wonder if we know how any particular brand "tunes" suspension, quite apart from the changes that Fox have made in recent years. When you buy a bike there is no way of knowing what " model year" the fork is either!

For example I have A Whyte E160 RSX bought in July 2022 and another E160 RSX bought in April 2024. Both have Fox 38 Performance Elite forks. Neither is marked as E Tuned. I have both set with the same air pressure and Compression/Rebound settings..............but they are very different in use!! Both are Grip2 Forks.

The 2024 bike ( I assume 2023 Fork?) is far more plush yet with good ramp up and no bottom out. In fact it performs very similar to the Fox 38 Factory fork I had on a Whyte E 180 RS ( 180mm travel fork) previously which was marked as E Bike tuned.
Certainly with the 2024 bike I have absolutely no need to consider any fork upgrades.
This link (and QR code in fork) will get you the detail info.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That's a very good point a serial # will get you that on many forks as well. you should be able to get those two forks and look them up to see what's different.
The fork on my 2024 bike:-
P-SE, 160, GRIP2, 1.5T, 68 HT and it says it is a 2023 fork.

The fork on my 2022 bike has a serial number and qr code on the back of the crown. The qr code will not read but info given against the serial number by ridefox is the same as for my 2024 bike except the fork is stated as 2022.

I don't know what 1.5T or 68 HT mean but my assumption based on the different performance between the 2 forks, is that the 38 damper tune was changed for the 2023 model to be the same or similar to their previous tune for the ebike version.

Last edited:

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
The fork on my 2024 bike:-
P-SE, 160, GRIP2, 1.5T, 68 HT and it says it is a 2023 fork.

The fork on my 2022 bike has a serial number and qr code on the back of the crown. The qr code will not read but info given against the serial number by ridefox is the same as for my 2024 bike except the fork is stated as 2022.

I don't know what 1.5T or 68 HT mean but my assumption based on the different performance between the 2 forks, is that the 38 damper tune was changed for the 2023 model to be the same or similar to their previous tune for the ebike version.
Comparing the schematics (shim stacks, etc..) indicates the same is used e or non-e version forks now.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Comparing the schematics (shim stacks, etc..) indicates the same is used e or non-e version forks now.

What is confusing is that there are now at least 5 damper variants available in the wild (a couple are obsoleted): FIT4, Grip, Grip2, Grip X, and Grip X2.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What is confusing is that there are now at least 5 damper variants available in the wild (a couple are obsoleted): FIT4, Grip, Grip2, Grip X, and Grip X2.
Just to add to the confusion my mate checked the Fox 38 fitted to his Privateer....new bike a few weeks old. The Ridefox description said 2024 Fork E Bike Optimised! It's not a model I can find on the Fox site but then it's all about the 2025 range on there now.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Just to add to the confusion my mate checked the Fox 38 fitted to his Privateer....new bike a few weeks old. The Ridefox description said 2024 Fork E Bike Optimised! It's not a model I can find on the Fox site but then it's all about the 2025 range on there now.

BTW I just received my Grip X2 cartridges for both a 36 and 38 that I have - will be interesting to see how they perform versus the Grip X2 fork I just put on my santa cruz. Will help isolate the damper improvements vs the bushing improvements.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
For the 2025 models they simplified things (For once!) and all the standard forks are rated for e-bike use now up to a pretty high weight, I think like 300lbs or a little above there, so most of the e-optimized versions will be a thing of the past going forward. Prior to the current lineup though they did have separate e-optimized and standard models for at least the 34/36/38 I believe (Maybe more as well) that were widely used.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
BTW I just received my Grip X2 cartridges for both a 36 and 38 that I have - will be interesting to see how they perform versus the Grip X2 fork I just put on my santa cruz. Will help isolate the damper improvements vs the bushing improvements.
Where did you source the new cartridges? My son & I have been on the lookout for them.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
A shop called Dirt Merchant bikes in Boulder, CO.

Well crap!

IMG_8292.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles