First EMTB - Liv Intrigue Advanced Elite E+2

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Hello from New Zealand

First time owner of an EMTB. I have been reading this blog for a while and have finally taken the plunge and purchased my first EMTB (with a crazy long name). I am a female rider, and a bit of a shorty so need an XS size frame. I considered the Specialized Turbo SL (2023)
but decided to go with the Liv, it has a slightly bigger battery and more power. It arrived on Tuesday, so far only had a few quick rides (on the flat) due to poor weather. Looking forward to having a decent blast on it over the weekend. So far loving it. I think it's going to be an awesome bike.

NewEMTB.jpg

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
is that the full power but 400 battery model?

I'd be very interested on how you get on with it. Did you get the range extender also?

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
is that the full power but 400 battery model?

I'd be very interested on how you get on with it. Did you get the range extender also?
Hi

Yes, 85Nm and 400 battery. I haven't got the range extender as yet. I expect I will get one at some point in the future. It will be interesting to see what type of range I can get.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Congrats! And, yes, do keep us posted on your ride impressions.

Also don’t see a lot of XS size e-MTBs, so I find that cool. :) (I hardly ever saw even small sizes so bought my small sight unseen. Fortunately I fit.)

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Congrats! And, yes, do keep us posted on your ride impressions.

Also don’t see a lot of XS size e-MTBs, so I find that cool. :) (I hardly ever saw even small sizes so bought my small sight unseen. Fortunately I fit.)
Will do. Is that a Norco Sight you are referring to?

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Will do. Is that a Norco Sight you are referring to?
No, I bought a Fuel EXe in small. I meant, I bought it “sight unseen” :)

I find even small size e-mtb are hard to see in the flesh, never mind XS. (I’ve actually never seen an XS in person.) I suspect it’s market forces, but still a bit of a bummer for us shorter folk.

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Oops, I did wonder if you meant that 🙂. Nice choice with regards to the Fuel EXe! Agree re market forces, XS sized bikes won't be topping the sales charts.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Oops, I did wonder if you meant that 🙂. Nice choice with regards to the Fuel EXe! Agree re market forces, XS sized bikes won't be topping the sales charts.
I love my Trek and I ride it most often in Eco mode. But there have been times I’ve wished for more grunt up steeper hills. I think Giant/Liv has introduced an innovative solution.

What made you chose the Elite over the 2023 Levo SL?

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Couple of reasons.
1) Battery, 400 watts vs 320 watts on the SL
2) 85 Nm vs 50Nm - I am not getting any younger so thought the extra power maybe better suited in the long run
3) Price. I got the Liv on sale ($1k less than normal), so worked out $4.5k less than the SL. Specialized bikes are lovely to ride but they do come at a cost. Given it's my first emtb I didn't want to go too nuts on price. I wasn't entirely sure how I would like riding a bike with extra weight, especially compared to my analog MTB. So far so good, but really need to put it through its paces off-road to see how it goes.

Calinca

Aug 14, 2024
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi AMD, I'm a newbie to E-MTB, and got my first e-bike: a Cube Stereo Hybrid in S size (I'm small as well), riding in easy terrrain I find it confortable and like the geometry, but I cannot reach my feet completely to the ground when on the top tube. As the terrain here is hilly and challenging and as I ride and read more I realize that Stand Over Height clearance is important. So I'm going crazy and trying to sell my beautiful new bike and find a better fitting one, as as stores here don't really store of anything I'm buying online.
I'm considering the Liv Intrigue Advanced Elite E+ (3 model but frma wise is the same). On the LIV website it says the Stand Over Height for XS is 722 - 730mm. Can I ask you what is your legs inseam measurement and can if you ca stand heels down over the top tube and when sitted (dropper seat dow) . Or would it be too much to ask you to measure it for me? I cannot find this online and would love to have a personal feedback of another short person :) Thank you so much for your help

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Hi
Yes, I can provide some of the details you requested.
Is it okay to ask a couple of questions about your current bike? Sounds like you really like it so selling it should be the last resort.
1) Is it just stand over clearance that's a problem currently? How bad is it, do you have to stand on tippy toes? Have you tried leaning your bike when you come to a stop so you can plant one foot flat? I know it's not ideal but worth considering. The more you do it, the more it becomes second nature.
2) Can you reach the ground with both feet flat whilst sitting on your bike seat in the lowest position?
3) Does your seat have a dropper post? If so does it have a low stack height? I have found dropper posts on small e-mtb are about 100mm (which is not enough in my opinion) and the stack height is quite high - frame deign does play a part as to the dropper length that can be accommodated. I am looking to swap mine out for a 120mm dropper, this is for more clearance on descents rather than not being able to reach the ground whilst seated (which I can do currently). Looking at One Up V3, pretty sure I have enough clearance in the seat tube to run it.
4) How tall are you? I am 5 ft 1 inch, roughly. My inseam is about 29cm maybe a touch under, had to measure myself! I can stand flat footed and clear the top tube when standing but not by much. Just so you are aware I also flipped the chip on my bike to run in the low setting. I find it better for descents.

I use the technique of leaning my bike when I come to a stop, so I can plant one foot flat. I very rarely need to stand over the top tube with both feet on the ground at once. If I do I use my dropper remote to drop the seat so I can sit seated with both feet on the ground.
I am not sure how confident you are on a bike? This is an easy technique to learn, just takes some practice.

Unfortunately the batteries on e-mtb take up a lot of room in the frame which means us shorties suffer with not a lot of stand over clearance.

Hope the above is of some help.

Calinca

Aug 14, 2024
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi AMD

Thank you so much for your reply :) and helping me out

Here is your reply to your questions
1. On the top tube I reach ball of my feet down
2. Sitting with the dropper post completely down I only reach tippy toes barely
3. Not sure how much is the stack height of the droper post, I can mesure it today and let you know.
4. Getting into imperial, I'm 5,24 ft (160 cm) and inseam 28.54 inc (72,5cm), so close to you even if I'm still shorter legged. Thank you for measuring yourself to help me 🙏
Not sure what you mean by this "I also flipped the chip on my bike to run in the low setting. I find it better for descents."

I know I will be better al leaning to the side when I stop, but considering the trails here, incline, irregular and plenty of rocks I've been finding it challenging and I have multiple bruises on my inner tights to prove from every time I need to stop or loose my balance and cant reach the ground fast enough, I lean and the bike tube lands on my legs.

I'be been folowing Roxy, she's really emphasis the importance of seat tube clearance for safety (, sec 45) and also has some other dismount technique that I maybe need to practice (), need to see if can stand on the rear wheel....

Thanks so much again for your help and feedback

Cheers

C

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I changed my dropper seat post and am now able to plant both feet on the ground comfortably with the new dropper.

Often times you can change the stock 100mm dropper that comes with size small bikes to a 120-125mm dropper. OneUp has the shortest droppers so it’s generally the best option for short people who want to eek out the maximum drop. Edited to add: On my most recent bike, I was able to go to a 150mm - so amazing. But that is rare on size small frames, except for the latest generation bikes that tend to allow for longer insertion lengths.

I sympathize with you. I am taller than you but found it impossible to test size small e-MTBs because no one stocked them near where I live when I bought mine.

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Hi AMD

Thank you so much for your reply :) and helping me out

Here is your reply to your questions
1. On the top tube I reach ball of my feet down
2. Sitting with the dropper post completely down I only reach tippy toes barely
3. Not sure how much is the stack height of the droper post, I can mesure it today and let you know.
4. Getting into imperial, I'm 5,24 ft (160 cm) and inseam 28.54 inc (72,5cm), so close to you even if I'm still shorter legged. Thank you for measuring yourself to help me 🙏
Not sure what you mean by this "I also flipped the chip on my bike to run in the low setting. I find it better for descents."

I know I will be better al leaning to the side when I stop, but considering the trails here, incline, irregular and plenty of rocks I've been finding it challenging and I have multiple bruises on my inner tights to prove from every time I need to stop or loose my balance and cant reach the ground fast enough, I lean and the bike tube lands on my legs.

I'be been folowing Roxy, she's really emphasis the importance of seat tube clearance for safety (, sec 45) and also has some other dismount technique that I maybe need to practice (), need to see if can stand on the rear wheel....

Thanks so much again for your help and feedback

Cheers

C

The Intrigue has a maestro flip chip adjustment. Here is a link so you know what I mean. Maestro Flip Chip | Giant Bicycles New Zealand. I run my bike in the low setting (see screen shot below). There is a slight adjustment with the seat tube angle and head tube angle, which surprisingly I can notice. It drops the stand over height a bit as well

Calinca

Aug 14, 2024
Lisbon, Portugal
Hello

Hi @Julie_X1, good to know about the dropper. I Checked One up and from the measurement I think I can fit 120. So 2 cm more. Still it's about 200€ plus labour from bikeshop mounting.

I finally got some time and took some pics in my current bike: overt the tube (my lady part are literally rubbing the upper tube while taking the pic), sitting, dropper post down. Standing

What do you think?

Thank you again :)

bike saddle height.png bike stand over height + dropper tube down.png

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Hello

Hi @Julie_X1, good to know about the dropper. I Checked One up and from the measurement I think I can fit 120. So 2 cm more. Still it's about 200€ plus labour from bikeshop mounting.

I finally got some time and took some pics in my current bike: overt the tube (my lady part are literally rubbing the upper tube while taking the pic), sitting, dropper post down. Standing

What do you think?

Thank you again :)

View attachment 145418 View attachment 145419
Hi @Calinca,

I honestly think that bike is too big for you. :(.

It is one thing to have a bike that is a bit too large when it’s not heavy... It’s another when it’s heavy. The heavier bike is just that much harder to control…

(That is just from my personal experience. My husband is one size up from me. I have tried his regular bike and his e-MTB.)

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Hi @Calinca

Can you please send me a link to the spec for your bike. I think I still have an app to overlay Cube specs with Intrigue so you can see the differences between frame size. It's not a full proof approach, as I think you should always try before buy (if possible) but as we know hard to do when small bikes are limited for us ladies. Plus you mentioned you don't have any Intrigues close by to try out.
I will send you some pictures of what I look like on my bike to help you. I will recheck my height and inseam measurements as well.
The pics give us a better idea of what you look like on your bike, so thanks for sending those through. Your bike is looking a bit big, so agree with Julie.

Calinca

Aug 14, 2024
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi @Calinca

Can you please send me a link to the spec for your bike. I think I still have an app to overlay Cube specs with Intrigue so you can see the differences between frame size. It's not a full proof approach, as I think you should always try before buy (if possible) but as we know hard to do when small bikes are limited for us ladies. Plus you mentioned you don't have any Intrigues close by to try out.
I will send you some pictures of what I look like on my bike to help you. I will recheck my height and inseam measurements as well.
The pics give us a better idea of what you look like on your bike, so thanks for sending those through. Your bike is looking a bit big, so agree with Julie.

@AMD I'm sending you the link, stantdover on my cube is about 75-76 cm measured by me, the comparison bellow does not take that into account. The rest of the geometry seems pretty similar it's between the blue and green

Here is the Cube link as well Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC SLX 750 carbon´n´reflex
1723931739936.png

Thank you so much for you help, a cannot thank you enough :)

Calinca

Aug 14, 2024
Lisbon, Portugal
Hello
I did find a great deal on an Intrigue X Advanced E+ Elite 3, XS at 3700€ at a clearance, as it is their last unit. I'm checking what it would be the hassle to return it in case the size wouldn't fit, seems to be doable.

Still I'm going out with the cube and having enjoying, although getting a few bruises in the way...
I got a great workout out of it, and it was fun! My garmin now tells to rest 91h and I am a bit tired, so today will go out just to practice skills and not much more :)

Have a great Sunday!

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Hi

Sorry for the delay. I didn't have anyone around to take pictures of me on my bike yesterday!

I am not quite flat footed with seat all the way down, not far off though. As noted earlier should be able to swap out my post for a 120mm dropper (One Up).

Seat Post
The seat post insertion depth on my bike should be 199mm, same as the model above mine Intrigue X Advanced E+ Elite 1 (2024) | Women bike | Liv Cycling New Zealand. The geo numbers look the same for XS, so can't see why my bike would be different.

Click on the video
I had a measure on my bike X = 185mm and Y = 199, therefore I can run a One Up, plus there are a couple of other dropper posts that I could run.

Hope this helps, good luck :)

Bike StandOver 1.png Bike Stand Over2.png Dropper Calculator.png Dropper.png

Calinca

Aug 14, 2024
Lisbon, Portugal
HI AMD, Your bike is lovely
Thank you so much for the pics, it gives me perspective :) You seem confortable standing. Funny enough bikes always look a bit too big for smaller folk, the 29 front wheel seem really big....
Yesterday got home early and was planning to ride, and had my first flat, one week!! It was a slow one from a thorn, but well, fixing it a moving on!

THANK YOU!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles