Fell off, banged my head need new helmet...;-(

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
Went for a ride this morning, it was wet & muddy.

I fell off navigating one of those ruts that walkers create when they all take the same narrow route. Lots of peddle strikes and eventually I got my wheel caught and it threw me off. It was uphill, so not going at all fast but I landed heavily on my side and banged my head, hard enough to crack my helmet.

Two questions:-

1. How do you fall off gracefully, I seem to instinctively hold on to the bars which means I land quite heavily..!?

2. Recommenations for a good helmet, not wanting full-face but would like more all-round protection...?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Ouch at least it worked!

1. There's no graceful way to fall off just degrees of spectacular assuming no injury.

2. So many - I have a few lightweight ones but for more protection I have a Giro Switchblade - you can remove the chinbar.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
1. How do you fall off gracefully, I seem to instinctively hold on to the bars which means I land quite heavily..!?

The main reason I ride is to practice the art of falling (or at least that's what the statistics say).

Its safe to say I've had more falls than America has since it was discovered.

Alas, not one of them yet has been graceful - though I'm still trying.

I think a helmet with a removable chin bar is a great idea. If the conditions are crap, you're more likely to head in face first as you'll be going down fast. The chin bar will give you more confidence, so you'll be more relaxed when riding and less likely to actually fall off.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
1. Know when to let go, tuck and roll. Rolling about will dissipate the energy rather than a sudden impact. Easier said than done though!

2. Super 2R here, but trying helmets on would be your best bet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles