Extra large pedals?

MtbWalker

Jul 31, 2021
Wolverhampton
Does anyone use any larger than normal pedals? Can’t be a bad thing having more surface area to rest your foot on. How do people get on with them any any recommendations for a set that aren’t going to break the bank?

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I don't know about being extra large but I have just fitted these.I like a large surface and find them more than sufficient

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Crankbrother Stamp 7
Though I did Have to extend the mortgage to finance!
Very much worth the outlay, though feel I have to shuffle up after pedal strikes, though more a bad technique than pedal issue!
Ive yet to loose a footing since fitting and feel very natural with placement

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Mate you asked for advice. Don’t try and piss people off. Especially when the one giving advice owns a bike shop. Correct me if I’m wrong gary.

he regularly gives helpful advice to this community

MtbWalker

Jul 31, 2021
Wolverhampton
Mate you asked for advice. Don’t try and piss people off. Especially when the one giving advice owns a bike shop. Correct me if I’m wrong gary.

he regularly gives helpful advice to this community
He didn’t give any helpful advice in here. His post was pointless. If he’s got a view on something then I’ll gladly hear it. Bike shop or not?

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
I don't know about being extra large but I have just fitted these.I like a large surface and find them more than sufficient

Decent pedals until the cage snaps unexpectedly 😔
Go on... Ask me how I know😂

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
I've acquired a pair of unite pedals 2nd hand off a mte which seem fairly large and grippy. Coming from various sets of superstars, dmrs, ht's etc I'd say they're every bit as good.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
He didn’t give any helpful advice in here
My advice is to take a moment think it through for yourself logically and rationally.

If you can't do that. Imagine a 4yr old on a 16" wheel riding it with a set of DMR Vaults fitted to it and their jnr size 7s in the middle of the huge platform not allowing the pins or edges to even work properly with their shoes.
Clue: Pedals don't perform better by being bigger than your shoe soles. Far from it.

A larger pedal platform also gives less clearance and puts higher stress on the pedal axles/crank arms

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
They're also the widest part of the bike. Bigger pedals can increase the chance of pedal strikes and width clearances. Also if you have the habit of pedaling while leaning the bike over there will be more chance of strikes here as well. Kind of like having a longer crank arm as the edge of the pedal will be closer to the ground when leaned over.

If the platform is the right size and you want to increase the Q factor you could try a small pedal spacer with increased chance of strikes as mentioned above.

Gordon

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Big fan of bigger pedals, rather average 43 Size shoe (Euro), anything less than 110mm width (along spindle) and I get quite strong pain along outer arch "after" I finish riding indicating my somewhat flat-footed issues. It's just the arches though, thankfully I have none of the x-crossed knees I see on many cyclists :- )

Riding stiffer soled shoes of course (ION Scrub, similar to Pro version of 5-10 Freerider) helps a lot but not enough.

I used VP Harrier (110x120mm) until broke, found out it was recalled due to danger of snapping exactly like did under me, replacement never arrived. Has a successor VP Rhyme, but I won't trust my life ever again into this brand.

Will try my luck with Deity TMACs (110x105mm). The other popular bigger choice is Crankbrothers Stamp in Large (114x111mm) and OneUp 'Pedals' 115x105mm, but beware the last one being convex and quite controversial. You'll find equal number of reviews having or not having issue with it. Personal experience of my riding buddy, he sold them right away, could not get on with it.

While TMAC looks bit smaller than the other two, it's symmetrical, so that's the actual touch surface area, not projected surface of pedal from above.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Based on Pinkbike's article from yesterday, looks like there is another and quite affordable version of big platform, the Occult (110x105mm)
OCCULT PEDAL – Tenet Components (ridetenet.com)

Also symmetrical like TMAC, so consider them slightly larger than stated (+5mm),making them identical with Stamp and OneUp.
Just for half the price of TMAC and Stamp :- ) OneUp also has cheaper but nylon version, I don't suggest.. it's getting popular but to me looks cheap and last half as long.

All4Fun

Aug 5, 2020
the Netherlands
DMR Vault, concave bed, no axle housing pressing in your sole, pins with thread.
4 bikes, 4 sets, no problems, bit of service, oldest set is about 8 years old.
Perfect fit with the wide 5-10 Impact shoes.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Having owned TMACS and now riding DEFTRAPS, which are basically the composite version, I wouldn't bother with the extra cost of the TMAC's over the DEFTRAPS.

The grip on the DEFTRAPS/TMACS is the most I have come across on any pedal, and may be too much for anyone who like to move their feet around a lot. They have 10mm Pins and a massive body.

I had the Unites and they where ok, but nothing exceptional, though build quality top notch. Ride very similar to a Burgtec MK4.

Also had the One ups which I liked, but found that when the grip goes it does so without warning, mainly due to the convex shape. The grip on them is reliant on the dagger like pins rather than the shape of the pedal. Great ground clearance though.

Also have the HT PA03 and IMO its a pretty much perfect pedal at a bargain price, cant go wrong with it. HT's range of pedals is impressive, great shapes.

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
That's what mine did, honestly just pedalling along... Tbf they were 2 years old by then. Would happily by another set if the axle went all the way to the edge of the pedal

Screenshot_20211014-154119_Chrome.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah they took me a while to track down as HT have a massive range and they are on of the more obscure models, but I figured there must be an alloy version of the PA03

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles