Error 503

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I was out on a ride yesterday and as I reached the furthest section I had an over the bars shortly followed by an Error 503 warning pop up on my Kiox, checking this out when I got home it said it’s a speed sensor fault, has anyone else had this problem, the question is, can I fix it myself or is it a job for the LBS, if it’s possible for me to do it, any advice you guys can offer would be appreciated please, this is quite alien to me as I’ve never had anything like this before, in fact my bike only went back to the shop for the software update in 2020.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Sorry Sean, I've looked through your posts to id your bike... but if it's Bosch powered, is it as simple as the spoke magnet has moved out of position or fallen off?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Sorry yeah it might have been an idea for me to given some more information about my bike 🤪it’s a V1 2020 Whyte e150rs, thanks for the advice though, I’m not so good today but I’ll have a look when I’m better, hopefully tomorrow 🤞🤞👍👍🙏🙏

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Most probably the magnet has been displaced.
It might also be the magnet has lost some of its strength, I’ve done a modification on my bike and fitted a separate magnet to the rear brake rotor so I can see it’s still in position, maybe the tumble I had has dislodged the plug in the motor, I will have a look at it very soon, thanks for your suggestion though mate 👍😉😎

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I hope I’ve found out the reason for the 503 ERROR, I was working on my bike yesterday and found out that the magnet was loose on my back rotor, I took my bike to pieces checking the speed sensor and all the connectors in the side of motor, I discovered that connectors had a tiny bit of moisture around the top out edges so I cleaned everything up and I applied some dielectric grease, I know now that that’ll be fine, I reassembled my bike to find it had not remedied the issue, I then realised that the speed sensor is fine due to moving another magnet I have across the front of it and I got some reaction on my Kiox display, I temporarily fitted a small magnet to my rotor and spun it and again I got a reaction from my Kiox, I’ve ordered a variety of different size magnets, nut and machine screws and washers from eBay, I can only think that the magnet has lost it’s magnetism, I know that feeling from experience too🤣🤣🤣

Mackeminexile

Jul 28, 2023
Huddersfield UK
I've been having issues with 503 despite having the centrelock magnet. No water ingress, greased connections etc. Found a hack, glued a magnet to a shim that let's me move it quickly up and down past the sensor (situated in the rear chainstay: orbea wild). Do this fast enough that the system thinks it's doing over 50/60kph and bingo. 503 error gone and it runs fine. Haven't had time to get to the shop and a diagnostic run.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume from what you said that your bike uses a rotor mounted magnet and the sensor is on the chainstay. The usual problem that can occur with that ( very common set up) is correct alignment between the magnet and the sensor. Usually the sensor has a line marked on it ( or a ridge) vertically to mark where the centre of the magnet should pass it. Your problem occured a fter a crash so it is possible the sensor has moved in its mounting bracket so is not properly aligned. It could also be that the cable of the sensor got snagged......pulling it slightly from its bracket.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I've been having issues with 503 despite having the centrelock magnet. No water ingress, greased connections etc. Found a hack, glued a magnet to a shim that let's me move it quickly up and down past the sensor (situated in the rear chainstay: orbea wild). Do this fast enough that the system thinks it's doing over 50/60kph and bingo. 503 error gone and it runs fine. Haven't had time to get to the shop and a diagnostic run.
Thanks for your reply mate, I’ve sussed it out after a bit of luck really, I’ll explain it in the post following this 😉

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I assume from what you said that your bike uses a rotor mounted magnet and the sensor is on the chainstay. The usual problem that can occur with that ( very common set up) is correct alignment between the magnet and the sensor. Usually the sensor has a line marked on it ( or a ridge) vertically to mark where the centre of the magnet should pass it. Your problem occured a fter a crash so it is possible the sensor has moved in its mounting bracket so is not properly aligned. It could also be that the cable of the sensor got snagged......pulling it slightly from its bracket.
Thanks for your reply Mike, I had a bit of luck for once, I found a spare magnet I’d I’d got, I fitted it and hey presto it works again, your right it’s a rotor mounted magnet but it wasn’t originally, well not in the way it’s fitted now, when I bought my bike it had a magnet that was secured by two of the rotor screws, I took those rotors off and fitted Hope rotors, the Hope rotors are much thicker than the old rotors which caused the magnet to foul the callipers so I modified it by fitting a 15mm circular magnet on the back of the rotor with a stainless steel machine screw, the magnet passes the sensor I’m exactly the same position, anyway it seems to be working fine but I have got some industrial strength magnets coming so I will swap it for one of those as I think it’ll be a bit stronger in magnetism, I’m gonna give it a try and do a local ride, if it goes tits up I won’t have far to push 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles