Error 503 on first longer ride :-(

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
Hi all!

This is my first post here, and unfortunately not in very good mood... I just got my 160 Action Team on tuesday, and today was my first longer ride in the forest. First 20km I had extremely fun, bike is simply awesome! Even though it is so heavy, it doesn't matter when driving and the bike is very agile and playful. Maybe the only thing to complain (or to get used to ;-) is that it's seems to be quite low compared to my previous non-E Trek, I get way more pedal hits than I used to. Maybe I should put a bit more pressure on the Fox's to get it up a bit?

But, the main problem I got was that when I was about 10km away from the home, in quite rough trails with lots of climbing & stones, Kiox started showing "error 503" and the motor stopped giving any power! The speed was also shown as 0 all the time, no matter what I do. I turned the Kiox off & on many times, did not help. And my god this machine is heavy to pedal in rough without any power, I was really really tired when I finally got home.

I just googled about this error 503, and it seems to have something to do with a speed sensor in the rear wheel. There were many instructions to position the magnet correctly on the wheel, but I just can't find any magnet at all from my rear wheel! So, should there be an external magnet in this bike and it just has been lost now, or what else could cause this error? How can I fix it??

This kind of problem on a first ride really takes away my confidence on this bike, I don't know if I ever dare to go anywhere further in the forests with it... :-(

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
I just can't find any magnet at all from my rear wheel!

this may be the problem.

edit: If you can't see it on the spokes then it sounds like it's gone... so I expect you will need to have a word with your dealer or whoever put the bike together / checked it pre sale as it shouldn't fall off.

Can't see it on the Cube bike pics but you can see it on the video in that link... at the start around 10 o'clock on the rear wheel.

Good luck and hope you have no further problems, nice looking bike... I had an issue on an early trip with my first eMTB but no issues for 5 years since.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
About £10 on Amazon and £8 in some bike shops

F02B2A2F-9CC0-494A-9B9D-39AA8112805A.png

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
Thanks all! But, just to be sure; did I understand correctly that there really must be a magnet in this bike's rear wheel, can any 2020 Action Team owner confirm this? I have understood that in some e-bike models the speed sensor is somehow integrated on the brakes etc.?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thanks all! But, just to be sure; did I understand correctly that there really must be a magnet in this bike's rear wheel, can any 2020 Action Team owner confirm this? I have understood that in some e-bike models the speed sensor is somehow integrated on the brakes etc.?

can you not see where the sensor is located? It’s a black box with a wire coming out of it. See below

3E7C28A2-54AF-4255-A02B-2B1DFE9348D5.png
70D2037E-71AF-41FD-86B8-984D3B64F006.png

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I think you'll find Cube a bit behind the curve on integrating the speed sensors compared to others. This has prompted me to get a spare. £8-£10 for a little threaded magnet though!

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Just picked up my 160 SL last week. The magnet is on the rear wheel and when passing the sensor must be between 5mm-17mm if i recall - quite happy to be told otherwise

Anyway, this is how it should look like

20200821_145009.jpg

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Yup. Had some thing very similar on my first proper like in 1977 which told me how fast I was going and how far! :oops:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles