Levo Gen 2 Engine not starting, only one beep, no led or faint led.

Quantumceo

Jun 14, 2020
Gdańsk, Poland
Hi, I've got 2019 Turbo Levo Comp.

After yesterday, I've put my bike in the room for charging. Today, when I wanted to give it a spin, the engine is not starting. There were no led lights, just one bip and that's all. I've captures it on the video:

Also, after plugin the charger, there was a led light on the charger instead of a green one. The battery got charged though.

Also, the leds on battery are flashing in some order. I never noticed this before, so I'm not sure if this is normal:
Here is the video for the battery:

Any help on that? I've went though the manual, and the only thing recommended is to contact the dealer.
Any other way?

Thanks in advance!

Sigbike

Jun 14, 2020
Norway
Just managed to get my bike going, the diagnose on mission control said it as due to water in the connection between battery and engine, possibly in the engine. Found it strange since the bike had been standing dry since Friday when it was washed and cleaned dry.
suggestion from the mission control was that I , if necessary could ride home and then disconnect the battery and let it dry up

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hi, I've got 2019 Turbo Levo Comp.

After yesterday, I've put my bike in the room for charging. Today, when I wanted to give it a spin, the engine is not starting. There were no led lights, just one bip and that's all.

Any help on that? I've went though the manual, and the only thing recommended is to contact the dealer.
Any other way?

Thanks in advance!

@Quantumceo sorry to hear. Most likely you have a short circuit somewhere on the main power cable connecting the battery to motor - often caused by water getting in through a crack in the rubber boot. The alternate flashing LEDs on the battery are telling you there's a short between two of the pins - but disconnect the Rosenberger connector and the flashing will almost certainly stop - showing you there's no problem with the battery itself.

The most likely culprit on a 2019 Levo is the min power cable - early bikes had problems with the rubber boot on this cable perishing prematurely and we advised retailers to replace it proactively during service should they see any cracks or exposed wires. The most useful (long) thread is Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019 - EMTB Forums - but it's quite a simple part to check/replace and your retailer may be willing to simply supply you with a replacement cable if service wait times are long right now.

See also threads like - Levo stays dead, battery blinks - what does it mean!? - EMTB Forums

Ultimately, your retailer is there to help you and will be able to fully check/diagnose the issue for you - we'd recommend you take the bike in for them to inspect.

Carnie

Jun 16, 2018
New Zealand
@Quantumceo sorry to hear. Most likely you have a short circuit somewhere on the main power cable connecting the battery to motor - often caused by water getting in through a crack in the rubber boot. The alternate flashing LEDs on the battery are telling you there's a short between two of the pins - but disconnect the Rosenberger connector and the flashing will almost certainly stop - showing you there's no problem with the battery itself.

The most likely culprit on a 2019 Levo is the min power cable - early bikes had problems with the rubber boot on this cable perishing prematurely and we advised retailers to replace it proactively during service should they see any cracks or exposed wires. The most useful (long) thread is Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019 - EMTB Forums - but it's quite a simple part to check/replace and your retailer may be willing to simply supply you with a replacement cable if service wait times are long right now.

See also threads like - Levo stays dead, battery blinks - what does it mean!? - EMTB Forums

Ultimately, your retailer is there to help you and will be able to fully check/diagnose the issue for you - we'd recommend you take the bike in for them to inspect.

@Specialized Rider Care , I'm having the same issue as of yesterday on my 2019 sworks levo. New motor and firmware upgrade about 6 weeks ago Was riding it fine, stopped for lunch and it wouldn't turn back on, it had 70% + battery remaining . Checked all cables and they appeared fine. When you try to turn it on you can see a green light sequence on the battery through the rosenberg plug. I managed to turn it on again but pushing the bike backwards it would start and ride fine.is it good practise to turn it on this way? Also what is the small battery for in the controller on the toptube? Is it possible this is flat and a reason it wont turn on?

Quantumceo

Jun 14, 2020
Gdańsk, Poland
@Specialized Rider Care , I'm having the same issue as of yesterday on my 2019 sworks levo. New motor and firmware upgrade about 6 weeks ago Was riding it fine, stopped for lunch and it wouldn't turn back on, it had 70% + battery remaining . Checked all cables and they appeared fine. When you try to turn it on you can see a green light sequence on the battery through the rosenberg plug. I managed to turn it on again but pushing the bike backwards it would start and ride fine.is it good practise to turn it on this way? Also what is the small battery for in the controller on the toptube? Is it possible this is flat and a reason it wont turn on?

I've got my cable replaced in authorized service point. Not tested it yet though. I would recommend turning it to service point ASAP.

PSR1947

Mar 14, 2020
Epping Essex UK
Every time I used to wash my 2020 Levo I had the same problem. Fortunately, I found it easily solved.
Remove the crank with an 8mm Allen key, then the side cover, 3mm allen key.
This will expose the cables. A blast with an airline of 20 seconds will remove all the moisture, paying special attention to the boot.
This is a good time to clean everything whilst the cover is off.
I found that the outer sheath had ridden up from the boot. This allowed water ingress. I pushed this back into place then secured it with a zip tie.
After I did this some 3 months ago I have not had any failures of the motor starting on time.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
Every time I used to wash my 2020 Levo I had the same problem. Fortunately, I found it easily solved.
Remove the crank with an 8mm Allen key, then the side cover, 3mm allen key.
This will expose the cables. A blast with an airline of 20 seconds will remove all the moisture, paying special attention to the boot.
This is a good time to clean everything whilst the cover is off.
I found that the outer sheath had ridden up from the boot. This allowed water ingress. I pushed this back into place then secured it with a zip tie.
After I did this some 3 months ago I have not had any failures of the motor starting on time.
If the issue coming from the cable itself,this will not solve...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles