emtb workstation ideas

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
Interested in everyone's approach to a maintenance station, so I can steal your ideas.

Here's mine:
Wheeled engine hoist (leftover from moto racing) for which emtb weight is nothing. Added slats at bottom to rest tires upon.

Ziptied charger to hoist arm.

Wheeled table can slip under the rear derailleur- has an ultrasonic cleaner that uses kerosene to clean off dirt better than brushes, and a hotpot for dipping chain into speedwax bath.

Old toaster oven (and spare) stows underneath, for baking contaminants out of brake pads.

Metric T-handles magneted in place.

20240810_122736~2.jpg

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Unless I am doing chain service, the bike drops down to rest on those slats. The one at front forms a box to contain the front tire. Really it is the cleaning station (also has wheels) which is moved around to suit the bike

About the only time I want to put the bike on a stand is for removing components, like forks, shock, wheels. Having it swinging around would be a pita. Washing the bike I do outside. Or take the chain off and dump it in a bucket of proprietary e-bike chain cleaner (diesel).

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
About the only time I want to put the bike on a stand is for removing components, like forks, shock, wheels. Having it swinging around would be a pita. Washing the bike I do outside. Or take the chain off and dump it in a bucket of proprietary e-bike chain cleaner (diesel).
Sram says our quicklinks are single use (my lbs disagrees). I use this to deep clean the chain without wasting a link (when i finally break a link, it becomes a trail spare).

99% of the time, this a parking/charging station, resting statically on the slats

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
Friends, the point of this thread is to steal YOUR ideas, not defend proven methods at my garage 😆.

If there is anything in my setup I think you should steal from me, it is the ultrasonic cleaner. Just turn it on, walk away, spin the chain, walk away, done!

• Helpful
Reactions: Dax

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Interested in everyone's approach to a maintenance station, so I can steal your ideas.

Here's mine:
Wheeled engine hoist (leftover from moto racing) for which emtb weight is nothing. Added slats at bottom to rest tires upon.

Ziptied charger to hoist arm.

Wheeled table can slip under the rear derailleur- has an ultrasonic cleaner that uses kerosene to clean off dirt better than brushes, and a hotpot for dipping chain into speedwax bath.

Old toaster oven (and spare) stows underneath, for baking contaminants out of brake pads.

Metric T-handles magneted in place.

View attachment 145096
At least you're able to cook for yourself should your better half ban you to the garage for misbehaviour

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Lazy Clydesdale …you are a brave soul!
If I posted pics of my bike cave some of the germaphobes in here would go out of their minds.

-ZipTie the charger to the bike stand. 🤔 Mine is only taped …time for an upgrade me thinks.
-Ultra Sonic cleaner …could find a place for one of those. 🤔
-Pirelli sign…I like that. 🤔
-Reheat food in the bike cave…why not 👍🏻
-Bike stand…you’ve got some kinda man-logic for that…. 👍🏻 but it works.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Since we’re on the topic of bike caves.…How the heck am I suppose to get my bikes out of here?
IMG_8075.jpeg

That’s as much room as possible and I still have to wheelie bikes in and out. These Toyota Venza’s are stupid-wide. There are no peddle strikes or keyed-like scratches on the paint yet …but I decided to solve that problem. I’ve traded in the Venza for a Hybrid Toyota Rav 4. Problem is kinda solved. It’ll be here Monday. Until then I feel like I’m still trapped. 😥

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
Lazy Clydesdale …you are a brave soul!
If I posted pics of my bike cave some of the germaphobes in here would go out of their minds.

-ZipTie the charger to the bike stand. 🤔 Mine is only taped …time for an upgrade me thinks.
-Ultra Sonic cleaner …could find a place for one of those. 🤔
-Pirelli sign…I like that. 🤔
-Reheat food in the bike cave…why not 👍🏻
-Bike stand…you’ve got some kinda man-logic for that…. 👍🏻 but it works.
There is a beer fridge in that garage as well, which can be counterproductive

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
I like the conveniently placed deep fryer, crock pot, toaster oven, and air fryer. You're set to stay out in the garage all day and don't have to set foot in the house. The only thing you're lacking is a cooler for the beer.
Dont worry, I have one of those too.
Also added a pretty giant ceiling fan, and an electric heater on a swingarm that can be pointed directly where I am working so I dont have to wait for the whole room to heat up. Also, my shopvac and compressor are in the next garage and their hoses pass thru the wall into here (way quieter). Uh, what else.. i have an old flatscreen tv connected to a cheap laptop so I can look at technical info or youtube walkthroughs as I work..

All highly recommended

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
Since we’re on the topic of bike caves.…How the heck am I suppose to get my bikes out of here?
View attachment 145136
That’s as much room as possible and I still have to wheelie bikes in and out. These Toyota Venza’s are stupid-wide. There are no peddle strikes or keyed-like scratches on the paint yet …but I decided to solve that problem. I’ve traded in the Venza for a Hybrid Toyota Rav 4. Problem is kinda solved. It’ll be here Monday. Until then I feel like I’m still trapped. 😥
I rented that same rav4 in Norway, it was pretty capable in the switchbacks and had amazing fuel efficiency (compared to my tundra haha). That tool chest on the back wall must have been a serious investment- probably 50x the value of the stuff I would put in it!

Lazy Clydesdale

Apr 24, 2024
Maryland
Not exactly a workstation but this is how I get the rear wheel off the ground to work on the derailleur. Not sure how to keep the bike from falling over without the front wheel stand since the bottom is not exactly flat.
View attachment 145250
Those floors look rather nice, so I guess the first question is how dedicated of an apparatus are you "allowed" to create, given where you use it?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I rented that same rav4 in Norway, it was pretty capable in the switchbacks and had amazing fuel efficiency (compared to my tundra haha). That tool chest on the back wall must have been a serious investment- probably 50x the value of the stuff I would put in it!
Compared to the Venza, the turning radius on the RAV4 was amazingly tight. Great for switchbacks 👍🏻.

That rolling tool chest has followed me around for years.😉. I designed and built the bike cave around that chest, which is filled with tools and stuff for bikes. I added an L-shaped worktop to match up with the rolling chest. Hidden air compressor, dust collection, extended electrical system, blah blah….It was basically a concrete dungeon when I started (a blank canvas).

It’s missing a sound system or TV. I have to rely on my singing, which I’m getting tired of, and so is everyone else. 🤪

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles