EMTB reliability

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Totally agree!
In the short time I’ve had my Levo I believe the motor (with correct tools) can be dropped out in a matter of minutes. For those of us who enjoy tinkering, a rebuild kit or access to a parts list could be a great option.. Anyway, for the foreseeable, I need to just enjoy my bike and not constantly focus/worry about the impending doom! ???

LBS charged me 200 pounds / $320 Oz to exchange my blown motor .
When I called up Specialized Australia to query the cost they admitted it was steep and wanted to know the name of the store . I said I would rather not say .
If my motor blows again I will contact Specialized 1st .

Asked the head mechanic at the Giant shop how much per hour for labour ? He said 50 pounds / $80 Oz ...

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
LBS charged me 200 pounds / $320 Oz to exchange my blown motor .

Asked the head mechanic at the Giant shop how much per hour for labour ? He said 50 pounds / $80 Oz ...

4 hours to change a motor....change to what - a 440 Hemi or a jet turbine maybe ?

They're taking the piss....

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Both of my Levos have had new motors and both times specialized have also covered the labour.... I would be looking into that and getting a store credit if I was you.
Bike was 2nd hand and originally bought on the other side of the country . I agreed to pay labour . But got a shock when I went to pick it up after the swap . Expected 150 - 200 bucks for + or - 2 hours . 320 was a shock .

4 hours to change a motor....change to what - a 440 Hemi or a jet turbine maybe ?

Well 80 an hour is the Giant shop price . I only use it as a comparison . I don`t think it would take 4 hours .

That`s why I called up Specialized and asked their opinion .I didn`t like it .But the deal was already done .

Old Mike

Sep 3, 2019
Consett, County Durham
I have spent more money on upgraded forks, shocks, wheels, handlebars, brakes etc. I feel I have them just the way i want them and they’re running great. I love both of my Trek and Specialized emtbs. Sometimes I think Brose 1.2e is better and sometimes I think Bosch gen 2 is better. They both are still running strong but when they fail... I’ll replace them. Just like any component that fails. Those old motors will hopefully be cheaper in the future. I have no intention of buying a new Ebike at 8k because I do not necessarily want the latest and greatest motor. I have more than adequate power and range and a replacement motor would be just fine. I ride my bikes over some terrible terrain and beat the hell out of them. I believe they perform very well considering the abuse they get.

Over 3 bikes and 12,500 miles Ive lost 2 Bosch Gen 2 motors, one at 9.5K and one when it was almost new, 800 miles.

My ebike riding mate has also lost 2 in 2 bikes, one with 2k miles and one with a few hundred.

So not brilliantly reliable for me, but not bad.

I depends what you're expecting of course.

Old Mike

Sep 3, 2019
Consett, County Durham
I can change a bosh gen 2 in 45-60 minutes on a cube, and I don't work in a bike shop.
Bike was 2nd hand and originally bought on the other side of the country . I agreed to pay labour . But got a shock when I went to pick it up after the swap . Expected 150 - 200 bucks for + or - 2 hours . 320 was a shock .

Well 80 an hour is the Giant shop price . I only use it as a comparison . I don`t think it would take 4 hours .

That`s why I called up Specialized and asked their opinion .I didn`t like it .But the deal was already done .

I can change a bosh gen 2 in 45-60 minutes.

I've done it about 5 times, for me and a mate of mine.

First time ever took 2 hours, and I didn't know what I was doing.

I could do it with my eyes closed now, like a soldier with his rifle :)

Old Mike

Sep 3, 2019
Consett, County Durham
I have spent more money on upgraded forks, shocks, wheels, handlebars, brakes etc. I feel I have them just the way i want them and they’re running great. I love both of my Trek and Specialized emtbs. Sometimes I think Brose 1.2e is better and sometimes I think Bosch gen 2 is better. They both are still running strong but when they fail... I’ll replace them. Just like any component that fails. Those old motors will hopefully be cheaper in the future. I have no intention of buying a new Ebike at 8k because I do not necessarily want the latest and greatest motor. I have more than adequate power and range and a replacement motor would be just fine. I ride my bikes over some terrible terrain and beat the hell out of them. I believe they perform very well considering the abuse they get.

Re: Just like any component that fails.

Yep.

I sourced bosch Gen 2 motors ive needed from Germany via ebay, £350 for one, £370 for the other.

Fit them myself, £0 labour. Some bolts and 3 electric plugs, easy.

One to replace a broken motor that was out of warranty (9.5k miles though, a good innings), one as a spare once I used the one I'd already bought.

Once christmas is paid for (married man with kids) Im sending the broken one off to the Bearing Man to get fixed. I intend to keep my external battery cube 160 running for years, I have no need for the latest and greatest, I'm getting faster by improving by far the weakest component - me.

People think nothing of blowing £300 a month on a car, 1.5k on a holiday but cry when a motor goes on a bike.

Its a funny old world.

I used to race Rotax karts when I had more money, £300 average per weekend once you factor in the kart, travel, tyres and engine rebuilds. EMTB's are almost free by comparison.

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium

Yep.

I sourced bosch Gen 2 motors ive needed from Germany via ebay, £350 for one, £370 for the other.

One to replace a broken motor that was out of warranty (9.5k miles though, a good innings), one as a spare once I used the one I'd already bought.

Once christmas is paid for (married man with kids) Im sending the broken one off to the Bearing Man to get fixed. I intend to keep my external battery cube 160 running for years, I have no need for the latest and greatest, I'm getting faster by improving by far the weakest component - me.

People think nothing of blowing £300 a month on a car, 1.5k on a holiday but cry when a motor goes on a bike.

Its a funny old world.

I used to race Rotax karts when I had more money, £300 average per weekend once you factor in the kart, travel, tyres and engine rebuilds. EMTB's are almost free by comparison.
Link of the motor? Was it a brand new motor?

Old Mike

Sep 3, 2019
Consett, County Durham
Link of the motor? Was it a brand new motor?

2 brand new motors.

They guy used to get them off show bikes - he used to sell loads.

They're getting a bit harder to find now for obvious reasons.

I'll try and find his website for you, give me a minute...

I've actually just bought a cube frame off him - I'm building the daughter a Cube ebike with all the bits Ive got lying around and the last motor I bought off him.

Last edited:

Old Mike

Sep 3, 2019
Consett, County Durham

I got my refurbed motor back from performance line bearings after a full rebuild yesterday. (Superb job btw, 9k motor feels like new!) I swapped out my backup motor for the refurb in my back garden in 1 hour. Whilst being constantly interupted by the dog to throw his ball. And constantly having to go into the house to get more tools because im an idiot.

4 hours is taking the proverbial p**s.

Last edited:

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Got a brand new Bosch after my Error 500 message. It was installed yesterday. Happy to replace my 2000km, one year old motor under warranty. It’s been ridden hard.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland

Yep.

Its a funny old world.

Now that’s what is know as the right way of thinking ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles