Emtb insurance

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Hello everyone.

Well I’ve finally got my new Emtb, well I will when it’s been put together and set up, I collect it Monday night, the thorny subject is insurance and where to buy it from is my problem, I just wondered if anyone here could recommend one to me please, my home insurance company won’t insure it due to its value so any help and advice would be appreciated very much please.
Sean.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Whatever company you go with you are likely to need a Sold Secure Gold lock. I bought a Litelok, £85, plus theft protection, £60 pa. Adding to house insurance not an option, not was switching.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
No idea if they're recommended or not, but I have a policy with cycleplan for my levo
Yeah I checked them out, I think they quoted me £226 pa, I took it for granted my house insurance would cover my bike, big mistake, I’ll definitely be changing companies, thanks mate ?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Whatever company you go with you are likely to need a Sold Secure Gold lock. I bought a Litelok, £85, plus theft protection, £60 pa. Adding to house insurance not an option, not was switching.
I’ve got a sold secure gold lock and chain, I got a kryptonite new York Fahgettaboudit Lock and chain and a shed shackle wall plate, my man cave is as secure as I could make it, I’ve got a composite door small upvc double glazed window, an alarm and a cctv system and my insurance company still wouldn’t help me, not happy with them, when you say theft protection £60 pa can you please let me know who you got that with, cheers.

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
Hello everyone.

Well I’ve finally got my new Emtb, well I will when it’s been put together and set up, I collect it Monday night, the thorny subject is insurance and where to buy it from is my problem, I just wondered if anyone here could recommend one to me please, my home insurance company won’t insure it due to its value so any help and advice would be appreciated very much please.
Sean.
Hi , give Pedalcover a call , I’ve got combination bike & house insurance. Very reasonable prices. 0800 121 4424

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
That will be with Litelok. They offer insurance with their locks for a little extra, but if I remember correctly, may only cover up to £5000
Oh right, yeah kryptonite have similar scheme but they only pay out £3000 if I remember rightly, thanks anyway mate.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m really not sure what to do about insurance, the reviews for cycle plan are absolutely rubbish and assetsure aren’t much better, I know I’ve got to get some insurance, it would be foolish not to but I just don’t know who to go with, this is really getting me down and has taken the excitement away from getting a bike.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I’ve got a sold secure gold lock and chain, I got a kryptonite new York Fahgettaboudit Lock and chain and a shed shackle wall plate, my man cave is as secure as I could make it, I’ve got a composite door small upvc double glazed window, an alarm and a cctv system and my insurance company still wouldn’t help me, not happy with them, when you say theft protection £60 pa can you please let me know who you got that with, cheers.
The theft protection is a deal you can get from Litelok, only at time of purchase. Should have been clearer. Protection is for any bike up to £10k protected by that lock.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
The theft protection is a deal you can get from Litelok, only at time of purchase. Should have been clearer. Protection is for any bike up to £10k protected by that lock.
Do you mean only at time of purchasing the lock or the bike, sorry I know this might be a daft question but my head is all over the place with looking at insurance comparison sites etc

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Do you mean only at time of purchasing the lock or the bike, sorry I know this might be a daft question but my head is all over the place with looking at insurance comparison sites etc
The lock, I think of it not as bike insurance, but extra protection to the lock. Cost is a sliding scale, £10k cover for £60, £5k for £35 (as I recall). By the way, I get third party cover and legal assistance from CyclingUK, included with membership

jjsj1994

Feb 29, 2020
Kingswinford
Legal and General don’t distinguish between normal bikes and E-Bikes. Their main differentiator is the DVLA classifications of vehicles, ie: anything under 15 mph and pedal assisted isn’t classified as a road vehicle. My advice, wherever you end up insuring your EMTB is to declare if it’s derestricted, insurance won’t be worth the paper it’s written on if you don’t tell them and they find out, whilst that wouldn’t be so much of an issue if the bike was stolen (as they’d never find it to know) it would be an issue with any liability claim as they wouldn’t pay out if the bike was derestricted. My advice is to go to a broker and check out an L&G policy.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Also adding Aviva, for cover at home.

I specifically asked about it with them at last renewal, along with conditions for locking up at home (my main concern). As long as it was inside the garage, it was insured. Some home insurance won't cover them unless they're in the house (garage doesn't count), or need it as a separate thing.

I strongly recommend specifically calling out with them what you want to do though, and double check the policy when it comes.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’ve tried legal and general and they said their limit was was £4000 which wouldn’t cover mine, I think I’m just gonna go with cycling specific company, I tried NFU and they quoted me over a grand for buildings and contents and my bike and my photography equipment, I never knew it’d so much hassle to get insurance, each company I’ve tried has just been out and out ridiculous, someone recommended cyclesure if I remember rightly, I think I’m just gonna bite the bullet and go with them, it’s cheaper for me that way even though there’s a sh!t load of stuff you’ve got to comply with in case you need to make a claim

tophies

Sep 16, 2019
UK
I couldn't get covered under my house contents insurance with Direct line as they would only cover £3500, so i had a search around and was quoted motorcar prices from some bike insurers. I found a company called LAKA. A different kind of insurance - choose your cover and value. You are not quoted a yearly premium price but a monthly amount that will vary on the amount of claims they receive per month. You can stop anytime as well so if not for you there are no penalties for coming out. You will need a gold secure lock so you have to factor in the price of one of those but hey its also covered if the bike gets nicked. Not sure if i should post the link that is an introductory price ( £25 credit for you and me - as this might be against forum rules but you can PM me or just go join without the introductory offer if you want to) the link to the site is
Laka - Bicycle insurance powered by you ( not the introductory one) - I like the fact that if i want to stop paying i can cancel with no penalties. Hope that helps

Last edited:

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
My spesh is insured via home insurance with sheilas wheels.... there must be a pun there if i could only find it .... and before i sold the old one they covered 2 bikes with a 10k total

Jutal

Aug 10, 2019
blackburn
Never spent so much on a bike, never before feeling like it was going to be nicked, scared to go out locally. Spent £600 on floor anchors and top of the range D-locks and chains. Renewed my house insurance with Swinton with an additional £7k bike. There was no increase in the renewal price and no questions about my security measures!!

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
My spesh is insured via home insurance with sheilas wheels.... there must be a pun there if i could only find it .... and before i sold the old one they covered 2 bikes with a 10k total
I’ll give them a call Monday after work, much appreciated mate ?

Sean

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Never spent so much on a bike, never before feeling like it was going to be nicked, scared to go out locally. Spent £600 on floor anchors and top of the range D-locks and chains. Renewed my house insurance with Swinton with an additional £7k bike. There was no increase in the renewal price and no questions about my security measures!!
I know what you mean, I’ve never spent so much money on a bike either, I’ve spent a small fortune on security for my bike on locks and ground/wall anchors, in fact only today I’ve taken up a section of my man cave dug down three feet and filled the hole with concrete after hand mixing it first, once it’s set I’ll fix the ground anchor I bought yesterday, I used to be with them years ago for car insurance , I’ll give them a call along with all the other companies I’ve been recommended to call, very much appreciate all you guys for your help ?

Sean

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

That is strange; I tried to include my Giant Trance SX E+0 Pro on my Swinton house policy this time last year, but they refused to cover it as it cost above the maximum amount they would cover for a bike.

I tried shopping around, and the cheapest I could find was Assetsure, the premium for which is about the same as my car!

However, this does include cover at home, on the road, on rides, legal and medical expences, and third party (when not attended it has to be locked to an unmoveable object with a sold secure gold lock and chain; a car is not considered an unmoveable object!).

Having said that, it is worth more than my car and is easier to steal.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
That is strange; I tried to include my Giant Trance SX E+0 Pro on my Swinton house policy this time last year, but they refused to cover it as it cost above the maximum amount they would cover for a bike.

I tried shopping around, and the cheapest I could find was Assetsure, the premium for which is about the same as my car!

However, this does include cover at home, on the road, on rides, legal and medical expences, and third party (when not attended it has to be locked to an unmoveable object with a sold secure gold lock and chain; a car is not considered an unmoveable object!).

Having said that, it is worth more than my car and is easier to steal.
Oh don’t say that, I was hoping that Swinton would be the answer to my woes, I looked at Assetsure but their feedback wasn’t very good, I do have a gold sold secure lock and chain and a gold sold secure ground anchor so that should make them happy.

Sean

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Just got off the phone to Swinton insurance and spoke to a lovely advisor, I got home and contents cover my bike is covered and so is my photography equipment and what’s more it’s cheaper than my current insurance company so they’re gonna get binned off this week, thanks to the member who suggested them to me PM sent ?I can finally get out on my bike and enjoy my investment at long last

Sean

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles