EMTB and Jumps - What's the go??

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
KnollyBro, u r the perfect guy to ask this as Imagine you have rode regular Levos.

My knolly warden scares me at parks. I dont not ride well enough to justify a DH bike. I ride one because I am more comfortable with the speed and size of jumps on a DH bike. I get that same comfort level in the Levo.

If I get the SL will is feel sketchy like the Warden or nice and planted like the Levo? I have been thinking about selling the Levo and getting the SL.

Well, as I stated before, jumping will mostly be about technique and confidence. I have ridden every trail (except the Pro Lines) at Whistler on a Knolly Podium, a Knolly Warden and a Levo SL. I used to own a Kenevo but gave it up for the SL as I found it too heavy to ride. While I am by no means the fastest rider in the Park, I feel that I am competent and most importantly, I enjoy myself when I ride. My Levo SL is modified with an Ohlins 170 fork, an Ohlin coil shock, a Cascade link and it is set up mullet. It rides quite well and I am comfortable doing most of the local trails on the North Shore, Squamish and Whistler; however, I am not a big jumper (No Crab Apple Hits or the New Dirt Merchant for me) but A-line is no problem. Oh course, YMMV depending on your skill level. I am waiting for a Kenevo SL as I think the rear suspension sounds better. Riding the Warden or SL compared to a DH bike will always be more challenging/fun but so many people are moving away from dedicated DH bikes these days. I would not buy a big heavy ebike again as it was too heavy to ride down. If you know Whistler, the trail shown below shows the kind of terrain I prefer. Then again, I am turning 60 this year so I do not represent the average Park rat!

Tedgar

Dec 29, 2019
Sebring, Florida
Well, as I stated before, jumping will mostly be about technique and confidence. I have ridden every trail (except the Pro Lines) at Whistler on a Knolly Podium, a Knolly Warden and a Levo SL. I used to own a Kenevo but gave it up for the SL as I found it too heavy to ride. While I am by no means the fastest rider in the Park, I feel that I am competent and most importantly, I enjoy myself when I ride. My Levo SL is modified with an Ohlins 170 fork, an Ohlin coil shock, a Cascade link and it is set up mullet. It rides quite well and I am comfortable doing most of the local trails on the North Shore, Squamish and Whistler; however, I am not a big jumper (No Crab Apple Hits or the New Dirt Merchant for me) but A-line is no problem. Oh course, YMMV depending on your skill level. I am waiting for a Kenevo SL as I think the rear suspension sounds better. Riding the Warden or SL compared to a DH bike will always be more challenging/fun but so many people are moving away from dedicated DH bikes these days. I would not buy a big heavy ebike again as it was too heavy to ride down. If you know Whistler, the trail shown below shows the kind of terrain I prefer. Then again, I am turning 60 this year so I do not represent the average Park rat!

Perfect info. Thanks. I am 58 years old. So same kind of park rat! LOL
Decided to dedicate my life to park riding last year. Bought a DH bike as I didn't know better at the time. Seems all the kids are on enduro bikes. I subscribed and left a comment so you know me on youtube. I hope to be at your level in 2 years when I am 60. Getting there.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Perfect info. Thanks. I am 58 years old. So same kind of park rat! LOL
Decided to dedicate my life to park riding last year. Bought a DH bike as I didn't know better at the time. Seems all the kids are on enduro bikes. I subscribed and left a comment so you know me on youtube. I hope to be at your level in 2 years when I am 60. Getting there.
My two words of advice will always be, don't get old (never give up!) and don't get injured (know your limits and ride within it),

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Hi EMTB Community

About to take the plunge on a Trek Rail, but there is one area that I can't seem to get any clear information around - jumps.

The information and content around this seems to vary wildly, EMBN videos say "EMTB's love to jump, super stable in the air", then you read through the comments and there is things like "you can only complete jump lines with a de-restricted bike", Or now with the current crop of SL bikes coming through, "There is no way I could be doing this on a full fat emtb".

Now I understand everyone rides differently and I think that is one of the best things about mountain biking! For myself, I'd say jumping is one of the areas of MTB I find most enjoyable and the sensation of cleanly hitting jump line is one of the most satisfying and fun things you can do on a bike.

So really keen for some feedback from the forum on this topic
  • How is does your EMTB handle jumping?
  • Do you need to derestrict to cleanly hit lines you could on an analogue bike?
  • If you struggle, do you feel is it a bike issue or a technique issue?
  • Plus anything else you feel will add to to this convo!
I currently have a Fuel EX and am wanting to add another bike to the stable and see a EMTB as a gateway to more runs and longer sessions. I had originally been thinking along the lines of a longer travel enduro bike, but it seems the current gen EMTB's are as capable as an enduro bike, but am looking for some validation in regards to jumping capability and if this could be a fun-limiting factor.
You will have to trial a bike to best see. I came from a trek ex and i can testify jumping is possible on a big 21kg emtb... just a way differnt feel and set of skills. Way harder to correct when in the air.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles