electric horn

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
I have a bell on my commuter bike, and a foghorn for a voice if needed, never had a problem and I'm just a wee old women !!! It's blo@dy sheep I have an issue with now they just don't get out the way.
All in all and on a more serious note just courtesy , being polite and friendly always goes a long way.
Thought all women used an electric horn !!!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
This is my bell, it’s a Rock Brothers brand.
It is so shiny, and extremely loud.
I love my bell, it’s awesome ?

580BE3A6-F876-41A4-BB4C-E1C027D8C018.jpeg

Al Bondigaz

Nov 12, 2018
UK, North-West
I've got one of the Timber bells mounted between the right grip and brake lever (above the bar, but tilted down). Easy to switch on and off with my thumb and loud enough to warn walkers (without headphones!) that i'm coming through.

Same here. I find it the right level of politness v warning,

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Same here. I find it the right level of politness v warning,
Exactly, it's not aggressive and most rides when I use it I actually get thanked by walkers/runners and slower riders. I had a guy catch up to me on a ride who wanted to pass and he just kept ringing his bell every 30 seconds when there was nowhere to pull over, just got my back up.

pegasus

Feb 23, 2019
Shropshire
On a more serious note though, I always say thank you to walkers, horse riders, other cyclists, but it does annoy me when they are rude back after saying thank you.
The worst are those that walk across the designated cycle path and then tut at you because you've either rung your bell and said excuse me or as you pass and call you names.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On a more serious note though, I always say thank you to walkers, horse riders, other cyclists, but it does annoy me when they are rude back after saying thank you.
The worst are those that walk across the designated cycle path and then tut at you because you've either rung your bell and said excuse me or as you pass and call you names.

I find "most" people are polite back. Some people are just grumpy and don't even say hello back even when I'm on foot, so it's not just that they don't like cyclists. I normally slow to walking pace when I catch people up and change gears lots to try and make as much noise as possible and then say "Bonjour". 94% of people are polite and happy back. 5% are just unhappy with the world and the other 1% I feel bad about as they're the people who jump when you say "Bonjour" as you've surprised them. But for some reason I'd feel like an arse if I was ringing a bell as I approached as if I was forcing my priority on them ?

Horse Riders are the worst, especially my other half. You ride uphill as fast as you can and they just come flying past showering you in sparks, rocks, mud & earth and disappear into the distance without a care in the world. I think all the horse riders I've met (and one Donkey Walker...) have always been very polite. There were two coming down a hill last week so I pulled over to wait in case they were scared of bikes (the horses, not the riders), but they waved me up and were very chatty and friendly (the riders, not the horses).

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
is there a problem with using a bell or a beep beep horn on a bike to warn slow walkers that ur approaching them .

Earbud-wearing runners are the worst. If you have a lot of those on the trail, it might be hard to find a horn loud enough. But slow walkers are going to hear you coming; if they have to be ‘warned’ then you may be a hazard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles