Eddy Current rear tyre - wear pattern

Dirk74

Jun 6, 2020
Germany
I noticed a strange wear pattern of the Schwalbe Eddy Current rear tyre. See pictures attached.

Different on the left and right side of the tyre, quasi no wear at the center. Any ideas?

The rear wheel is true, has no play. The tyre sits fine in the rim, all way around (pumped it up to 55psi after mounting, no mounting issues)

mileage: -1200km, usually hard pack
tyre pressure: 18psi
tyre size: 29×2.6
rider weight: 95kg
bike: Turbo Levo, rim 30mm wide

The front tyre with the same milage has looks good. Maxxis Assagai 29×2.5 DD MaxxGrip.

20210730_165259.jpg
20210730_165249.jpg

Last edited:

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I get a similar wear pattern, on one side, and it’s due to the trails Im used to favours right turns, so I’m rinsing harder on the right. The front tyre is unaffected by this just the rear.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
IMHO 18psi is kinda low for rear and your weight, I'm 85kg and my rear is about 25-27psi with tubeless tires (not Eddy Current). I use to have Eddy Current, but was not happy with them, terrible grip in damp or wet conditions and knobs were very prone for ripping off ...

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
throughout my whole MTB career I've never yet worn the tyre down so theres no tread left before I got a cut in the sidewall and have to throw the tyre away. never even close.
I'm hoping one day it will happen but I doubt it. as a result i've never been bothered about tread wear

Don’t know how you get away running 18psi in the rear. Could be a lot of off camber riding causing that wear pattern?!?
exactly. what do you ride OP? cycle tracks and pavements?

Dirk74

Jun 6, 2020
Germany
It's the gravity caseing, soft compond.
Very stable (not as easy mount, until I used fluid) and the tyre has much ruber so I went down with the pressure after the first rides because the damping was far better.

I usually ride decent stuff in the woods, mostly forest roads uphill and hiking or single trails downhill. There are some rocks and roots that I just let the bike take and so far no issue with, even with tube setup.
Little asphalt/pavement on the way to the woods.

I like the tyre so far, more then the stock tyre (Eleminator Blck Diamond casing 29x2.6). The first difference I noticed was the bracking performance.

I just found it strange that the wear on the center was almost nothing and that the wear of the outer knobs was at different places on the left vs the right.

Cold be pressure.
I will replace it with a new one in a few weeks and increase the pressure to 24 psi (going to a trip in the Alps and like to have fresh tire with sharp edges). The old one as spare.

DHR 2, DD casing, Maxxterra compound, 29×2.6 would be the one that i like to tryaa option, but it's not available at the moment.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I just found it strange that the wear on the center was almost nothing and that the wear of the outer knobs was at different places on the left vs the right.

Cold be pressure.
It's more likely what foot forward you ride. Hence cornering more aggressively (leant over) to one side than the other.
Oh.. .and you're also more likely to brake drag on your least confident cornering side.
Brake dragging in a corner stands the bike up in the turn.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
It's the gravity caseing, soft compond.
Very stable (not as easy mount, until I used fluid) and the tyre has much ruber so I went down with the pressure after the first rides because the damping was far better.

I usually ride decent stuff in the woods, mostly forest roads uphill and hiking or single trails downhill. There are some rocks and roots that I just let the bike take and so far no issue with, even with tube setup.
Little asphalt/pavement on the way to the woods.

I like the tyre so far, more then the stock tyre (Eleminator Blck Diamond casing 29x2.6). The first difference I noticed was the bracking performance.

Cold be pressure.
I will replace it with a new one in a few weeks and increase the pressure to 24 psi (going to a trip in the Alps and like to have fresh tire with sharp edges). The old one as spare.

DHR 2, DD casing, Maxxterra compound, 29×2.6 would be the one that i like to tryaa option, but it's not available at the moment.
There are numerous factors which could explain the bizarre tread wear on one side of the rear but any examples if highlight would be speculative.
1200km isn't bad for a rear tyre in the grand scheme of things (Ebike specific or not).

You've opted for a good choice for the rear in terms of casing. But being honest, I've not witnessed this bizarre tread wear. Moreso, both the side nobs (left & right) wear out.

One of friends whose with me has asked whether your rear hub is tight (I assume he's referring to the hub cones on the rear wheel) meaning whether the rear wheel has any play.

If you're no longer running the stock roval wheelset, disregard checking. Failing this, 1200km isn't bad for a rear tyre ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's not bizarre Neeko.
every mtb tyre wears unevenly as everyone has the traits I explained earlier

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
I've got around 1500km on my Eddy Current rear, much more worn than yours but mostly hard rocky trails here.... It's worn totally even though, centre and side knobs same both sides.
The tyre isn't directional so you could flip it and get another 1200km from it no problem :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles