Anyone tried Eddy Current tyres ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Howdy fellas, not to hijack but since it's on topic. We have ridden nearly 30 sets of Eddy Current tires on everything from Southern California desert (super rocky and rough) to Oregon loam. We love the tire on ALMOST everything! The only weak spot we've found is in fall months when pine needles are on top of dry soil or lots of leaves on hard pack.

Here's a review we posted on our site. Hopefully it gives a bit more insight too!

Huge fans of the forum and love being able to read all the fun stuff you guys are up to with your bikes.
Drew
Is that part of a comparison test or advertising feature?

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Same in the Forest of Dean. If I did a lot of road miles to get to the trails I'd keep it on for the summer, but I don't so it's going as soon as I can rent a JCB to get the bloody thing off the wheel!

Ha Ha mines come off tonight, easy getting off DT 1501's (40mm) got a nearly new nobby nic apex in garage so going to try that at weekend. Heard there not too bad as a rear tyre, bit slidey but predictable. Gotta be better than the black ice feel of the eddy.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had NNs on my Powerfly. Bloody useless on the front in the wet, marginally less useless on the rear. Bloody good in the dry though.

I've used DHR2, XR5, eWild and MM on the rear in the current conditions and the MM is the best of the lot but very draggy.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
I had NNs on my Powerfly. Bloody useless on the front in the wet, marginally less useless on the rear. Bloody good in the dry though.

I've used DHR2, XR5, eWild and MM on the rear in the current conditions and the MM is the best of the lot but very draggy.
yeah agreed, had them on the front and i really didn't like them, unpredictable wash outs were regular!! willing to try on rear for a few rides. Got a few other options in the garage, trying my hardest not to purchase too much at the moment.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
I love em for an ebike, too heavy for non-ebike, probably not the best for pavement as shown above, but for an all around awesome tire they are the bees knees!

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Being that the EC rear is unobtanium right now, I an gonna run an EC front in the front and rear of the bike, lol. Hope it works....:cool:

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
Interesting to see different takes on the Schwalbe Eddy Currents. Not trying to be Captain Obvious here. Lots of things factor in to how a tire performs: inner rim width, riding conditions, trail types, tube/tubeless, tire pressure just to name a few. Most important is for me is rider preference!

Ride the Eddy's 2.6's front & rear on my 2021 Spesh Levo FF S-Works and think they are the cats meow! Will admit they are a pain in the arse to install. Wouldn't want to have a do a trail side repair but can be mounted relatively quickly using some hacks that have formulated over time.

Have them mounted 30mm rims and think the 2.6's are a perfect match. Very strong sidewalls and super puncture resistant. I live in Southern California and very rarely encounter wet weather so I can't speak for that aspect. Been a huge fan of Maxxis tires over the years and have a pretty high bar when giving a grade to tires. I highly recommend. Excellent tire for climbing and very durable tire, almost no signs of wear after months of riding them. Rolling resistance is not the best in class, but I think most emtb riders don't place the highest emphasis on this category (if you do, highly recommend Michelin E-Wild's!)
I took my rail 9 in for its 1st service and the shop couldn't fit them. Tried 4 times and couldn't get it on the bead. Any suggestions?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I took my rail 9 in for its 1st service and the shop couldn't fit them. Tried 4 times and couldn't get it on the bead. Any suggestions?
Try using zip ties and soapy water. This link is on motorcycle tires but the principle is the same.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
need something like the link below, some LBS will have them, just take your wheel and tyre to them, wouldn't of thought they'd charge you if you know them. I've tried all sorts and nothing works for me, tube, zip ties, ratchet strap. Not tried petrol though.....

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hey, come on now, they make great winter tyres when all you can ride is tarmac and you don't want to trash a decent tyre.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles