Ebike Specific Chains .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Having just spoken to the service department at Wheelbase Staveley where I'm due tomorrow for a check up service ..it would appear that my chain snapping yesterday could be down to the fact that the manufacturer ( in this case Whyte) is supplying them with " normal " Sram 12 speed chains .
As there is an Ebike specific chain which admittedly costs double the money ..would it not make sense to fit this type of chain prior to it leaving the factory..stuck out in the middle of Kielder Forest yesterday I would willingly have paid a few extra quid upfront to have had this option on the bike ..
Hopefully if the order arrives in time it will be from tomorrow ..
If you are about to buy a new ebike ask if you can have this fitted straight away ..it might save you a good bit of grief ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
They might well be good ..but why would an ebike specific chain be manufactured if it didn't make a difference ..
I've had my bike for just over a month ..in the previous 24 years I have snapped only one chain riding a variety of " normal " bikes
It makes sense to me that a bike twice the weight of a normal mountain bike would put more load ( strain ) on the same type of chain ...power assisted or not ..

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I have used both the regular and the e-spec chains and have noticed that the specific will last longer but will break the same way like a lighter one when an accident or entanglement happens. Now I use the cheap and heavy chain and a carry a chain breaker.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I bow to your greater knowledge..however am I going to try the ebike chain ?
Probably ..because I need to find out for myself ( mug that I am ) ..but I thank you for your replies and will give an honest opinion as to what I think once I have tried them ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I usually have a chain splitter with me ..hadn't got around to buying a snap link ..but lesson learnt I won't leave home again without one or the other ..even if my average for a snapped chain is once every twelve years ..?

Reactions: EME

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use extra light hollow link chains without any problems and if anything they last longer than the so called E bike chains. No amount of torque applied by a rider even with motor assist will break any chain if the chain is straight. No chain is very strong if it is twisted or at an angle to the direction of pull.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Well the ebike chain didn't happen as it hadn't arrived from Sram ..but there is still plenty of life in the original ( well a couple of hundred mile apparently!) ..now tubeless (??)..slightly naffed that they changed my brake pads (both sets) without consulting me first..(£ 25.00 per set but they are gold plated !!) ..especially as I had two sets of Uber at home @£7.99 a set ..still they did other bits & bobs so swings & roundabouts and after a nice morning with the missus in Windermere & Ambleside I didn't want to change the mood by complaining ..but do it again ..grrrrr

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi Hodge.....Gold plated indeed, did you manage to get the cockpit tidied with regard to cable routing ?
Was a great day to be in the Lakes.
The bike looks great mate and after following you along the Usway Burn last week you can make sure make it go ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Cheers Wayne..yeah the cockpit got tidied up a bit ..the mech was slightly out so that got sorted ..gears are changing real sweet now ..and I know its probably all in my mind but the bike feels so much lighter after going tubeless ..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's marketing BS.

For my Powerfly I bought three Shimano chains in 2500 miles (one was a premature failure when the mech snapped on a ride). All had the same part number and bar code but the newest had an ebike logo on the packaging.

My current Shimano chain has done 1488 miles so far. Still shifts sweetly.

I've snapped two chains out in the field. One was down to the aforementioned mech failure which twisted the chain through 90° and took out the rear wheel as well and the other was on a simple XC ride. I ran that chain with 2 split links until I got rid of the bike.

If you are going to carry a spare link, make sure you also have a chain tool and link pliers are also useful. Miniature link pliers can be had for a few quid on eBay.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If you are going to carry a spare link, make sure you also have a chain tool and link pliers are also useful. Miniature link pliers can be had for a few quid on eBay.
Presumably I'd need to file these a bit thinner for a 12 speed chain?

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Get the wolf tooth one. They have two version. One with multi tool and another without.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Get the wolf tooth one. They have two version. One with multi tool and another without.

£71 or £34 against 4 quid... :unsure:

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Don't leave home without a chain breaker, chain tool and a couple of spare links.

IMHO the eBike chains are marketing BS. You could have 3 snapped chains for the cost of one eBike chain that may break the same way.

There's so many factors at play. I've snapped one link in 2400 miles, fixed it trailside in 10 mins and it's still going strong (second drivetrain though)

12 Speed chains are pretty thin. I don't personally think you need a 12 speed system on an eBike, but that's just me..If you spending so many thousand on an eBike you'd want 'modern' kit on it which isn't necessarily the best for durability.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I would agree with you up to the point of running out of battery ..when that 52t pushing a 51lb under your own unassisted power might just make the journey home / back to the car a good bit easier on your legs ..?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I carry these in my pack, and the best tyre levers I’ve used

3421BBEC-A137-4E82-94CB-BFE4ED9459C1.png

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I would agree with you up to the point of running out of battery ..when that 52t pushing a 51lb under your own unassisted power might just make the journey home / back to the car a good bit easier on your legs ..?

Do you run out often? Your making a compromise for a planning error?!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
TBP
I'm not making any compromise ..its what was on the bike when I bought it ..as yet ( after only having the bike for 1month) I havent as yet run out at all..I'm still pushing my luck though to see what sort of range the bike is capable of and so far I've managed to get back with 1 mile of range left ..
If and when I ever do run out I will probably be thankful for that lowest gear ..
By the way my planning is usually spot on ..?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand

Didn't know about the 8-bit pack pliers. The bike nerd in me loves these, but cheap they are not. I'm looking at Granite Designs Talon, simple quick link pliers & tyre lever combo.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
When I replace my chain I also remove the Bosch Gen 2 chainring and put grease behind the bearing seal. I like to do this at least once a year so I really don’t want a chain to last longer than this or I wouldn’t have an excuse to grease the bearing seal. For this reason I would never buy an ebike specific chain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles