Ebike newbie from Shropshire

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Another Ebike convert from Shropshire.

38, generally class myself as fit and healthy, run a few times a week, ride a roadie, but for the past few years I’ve just not had the time or energy for mountain biking. Did the alps in 2012, loved the local rides, Hopton, east ridge, long mynd, Wrekin and a little trek to llandegla but mates stopped finding time and so did I. Suddenly grinding away by myself climb after climb for that bit of fun on a descent lost its magic.

Then last year someone let me swing my leg over a Merida e bike on a car park and I’d not been able to shift the itch since

Picked up one of the bargain focus jam 2 6.8 pluses on Sunday which was delivered Tuesday. I’m Stunned with the finish and value for money. Did a couple of 7 mile rides that evening just testing it out and getting a feel for it and the new tech. I cannot get over the size of the grin these things bring to my face. Going up hills I can tell is going to become as fun as the descents. I’ve read boost mode is rarely used once the novelty wears off but finding it awesome fun so far. I changed the country to US to unlock the 20mph speed assist which I think is much more useful as it felt like I was hitting a wall very quickly set at 15mph.

I have a few questions which I’ll also post in the focus group but any help given here would be great.

-the bar layout seems a bit of a mess, on left side, brake lever, ks dropper remote and then shimano mode shifter. Feels like everything is cluttered and difficult to use. That the normal layout ?

-ks dropper is too short, thinking of swapping the the brand x 150mm on offer at CRC £99. Can I leave the remote and cable already in place and just replace the grub from one post to the other ?

-2.8 reckon tyres and race face ar40 wheels. Believe both are tubeless, is it just as simple as tim tape and tubeless valves and Sealent ? Burping an issue on these massive tyres or pretty bomb proof?

- invisiframe doesn’t seem to be an option as my frame is anordised. Anyone found any bike tape that works? If not, I’m worried about down tube impacts/damage In particular. Any good solutions?

- gear lever catches frame if handle bars are turned fully. Concerns me if I crashed I could do some damage here. Any solutions? Notice 2020 has a stop. Bars with a slight rise?

Cannot wait until the weekend to take the maiden voyage off up the longmynd. Hope the rain calms down a bit however. Really useful forum btw, have enjoyed finding out loads on here the past few months

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
No good pics out In the wilderness yet. Just one from the garage after a quick 13 mile explore this evening
46DFC0DB-6825-4137-A7CF-5268D8AA0ADE.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles