E8000 Merida eBig 9 engine replacement or fix

SparAu

Dec 8, 2022
Sunshine Coast Australia
Hello, thanks in advance for any advice.
My work commute is a 50km round trip no hills, I had an opportunity to buy an e160 700 salary sacrificed so jumped at that but would like to resurrect my old e big tour 2017 which has bearing failure. For such a boring commute it seems a poor idea to put so many km onto what I now understand Shimano deems to be a throw away engine (I'll never buy anything shimano again).

To fix the e8000 I need to source a Simano chainring tool, source some bearings and hope it goes well. I do see some mention of issues, errors and no businesses want to work on them which makes me leery of my chances of success.
The lbs I spend all my money at rang Shimano who said the only option was $2k for an ep8 plus some more for adapters. I'm not terribly keen on supporting Shimano's throw away system...

Option 2, make an adaptor plate and install a bafang, tbh not sure I would trust it although it will never go off road it still needs to jump kerbs...
Option 3, just wire up a hub engine kit, e.g. for a couple hundred $
Edit: note on option 3 I know dropping 8kg of unsprung weight isn't desirable but this will just be a commuter...

I would prefer to utilise the perfectly functional 36v pack, will the controllers accept that, the descriptions dont really say.

Edit 2 I do see a company in the UK and Poland who might help but I'm guessing shipping from Australia may be prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles